So here’s a fun question: how has your skincare routine changed through the years? For the older readers, when did you notice that you needed to add a little “somethin somethin” to your routine? Do you think particular brands matter, or is it just important to do something? (For example: does a particular brand of eye cream work better than the others, or does your eye area just need extra moisture and any eye cream will work as long as you’re consistent?) (Pictured: wrinkles – part I, originally uploaded to Flickr by kroszk@.)
For my $.02: For the most part, my skincare routine is roughly the same as it was when I first settled onto it at as a pre-teen. Most mornings, I wash my face with Basis, and (once I’m out of the shower), I follow up with a light moisturizer with SPF in it (usually Neutrogena’s basic one sans retinols, but I’m still finishing a container of Kimberly Sayer that I bought during my pregnancy because it had proper zinc oxide instead of chemical SPF). Things I’ve added over the years:
- Around age 25 I tried an exfoliant with beta-hydroxy acid in it and noticed that people immediately started complimenting me on my “glowing” skin; since then I have tried to use one once or twice a week. (Annoyingly they keep discontinuing whichever one I like — my pet theory is that perhaps research is moving so fast that the skincare companies keep coming up with new, better products.) I kept reading that you aren’t supposed to use retinols while pregnant, so for that time period I used an exfoliating glove and/or St. Ives Olive Scrub. I’m in the market for a new exfoliant right now, actually. Occasionally I’ll buy a moisturizer with anti-aging ingredients in it (such as Neutrogena’s Healthy Skin or Age Defense) and use that once a week instead of my regular, plain moisturizer.
- Also around age 25 I started buying special eye cream, mostly for when I get out of the shower but occasionally for before I go to bed at night. Right now I’m using Clinique All About Eyes, but I’ve used Aveeno’s in the past. I’m wondering if, at 35, it’s time to splurge on some eye cream, and get Creme de la Mer or perhaps the Caudalie one.
- Before bed I try to apply a special lip cream. My all-time favorite is Caudalie’s, but I also like the new Neosporin one (which I originally bought for my husband!).
- Before bed I remove my eye makeup, but don’t wash my face unless I’ve been wearing foundation (which is next to never). If I do wash my face I remoisturize. Right now I love the Neutrogena cream remover.
– Stuff I no longer do: Toner/astringent. I used this a lot during my teen years but don’t any more because it seemed too drying. I also used to use a lip exfoliant pretty regularly, which I almost never do now — it may be because I tend to wear lighter glosses and tints instead of heavier lipsticks, but it may also be because of my nighttime lip routine.
I also never try new products unless I’m in the market for something particular — I credit my generally good skin to my consistent routine (and good genes). As you can tell, I’m a big fan of drugstore skin products.
How about you guys — what is your skincare routine like? How has it changed over the years?