Frugal Friday’s TPS Report: Cap Sleeve Tee

Our daily TPS reports suggest one piece of work-appropriate attire in a range of prices.

Cap Sleeve TeeI was originally going recommend another top from The Limited, but then I started poking around the site and found this highly rated cap sleeve tee, available in 14(!) colors. Every comment talks about how comfortable it is, how soft, how versatile, how great it is under suits, and how the commenter has gone back to buy it in another three colors they love it so much. So I had to pass it along to you guys — particularly since The Limited is having a sitewide $25 off ever $50 you spend sale (with code JUST4U) that makes the$26.90 top basically two for one. Cap Sleeve Tee

Seen a great piece you’d like to recommend? Please e-mail [email protected]
(L-3)

Comments

I love this shirt. Such a wardrobe staple.

Hive, can you please send positive thoughts to Mr. Anonymous? He has a job interview happening this very moment, and it would dramatically change our life for the better if he was offered the position. He is sort of the underdog, just barely qualified, and so we have low expectations, but it would make our lives awesome beyond belief if he got this offer.

Promise to report back with results. :)

• Anonsensical says:

Sending them now! Mr. Anonsensical just had a similar interview and we’re still waiting to hear, so I have something of an idea of what you’re going through. Hope he rocks the interview and gets the offer soon! I will keep my fingers and toes crossed for you both!

• Eleanor says:

Sending positive thoughts in his (and your! so you can be supportive no matter what happens) direction. Good luck to him, and please do keep us updated! Also, that’s awesome that he’s going for it as an underdog.

• Tired Squared says:

Sending happy thoughts :)

2. Godzilla says:

YOU GUYS, I FORGOT MY PHONE AGAIN TODAY. AND WHEN I WENT TO BUY COFFEE, MY COFFEE LADY SAID I LOOKED NOT SO GOOD.

Allergyface and sinus headache, rawr. Also, I bought some Turtle Chex Mix when I went to CVS to pick up my babillion allergy prescriptions and I left that at home, too. Sigh.

• You poor baby. This allergy thing just has you nuts. I hope it settles down – we are past pollen season here and just heading into hot and humid. You need your Turtle Chex Mix.

I’m off today (way too many vacation days to use before the end of the fiscal year) and have barely been out of bed. Feel like a zombie. I’d love to have a fun productive day but it’s hard when I can’t get moving.

• Ewwww, a case of the Mondays on a Friday. Hopefully this coffee lady person is a regular and it was better than what that kid said to you (I think that was you, right, Godzilla?).

• mondays :( says:

Yes! It’s totally a Mondays type of Friday! I have to give up my office, I’m about to head to the most awkward lunch ever with my mother, and I’m bored out of my mind at work. Oh, and weather is nice, but I have to sit here and stare at this stupid screen, pretending to be busy, until I can leave at 4:55 pm. Worst. Friday. EVER.

• I hope regular poster Monday doesn’t see this. I don’t want to get in trouble. Monday, you’re awesome!

• Godzilla says:

Yep, that was me. She was nice about it but I must look super terrible.

• mamabear says:

Godzilla, is there a CVS/Walgreen’s/Duane Reed near your work? This sounds like a Turtle Chex Mix emergency.

• Godzilla says:

Actually, there is. Hmmmm. TBH, it was so frustrating to hear from my super cool new allergist that I’m doing everything right and I’m still suffering so much. Good thing I have a trainer to work off all the sugar I’m consuming to get me through the day. Allergies make me super sleepy.

3. Sunscreen? says:

Am I the only one who thinks that this neckline shows too much skin? Not because I am modest (at night I would show far more skin than this neckline does), but because it is just begging for sun damage.

I typically wear high round necklines. For about 2 or 3 summers, I switched to Vnecks and tried to always wear SPF 50. My dermatologist, whom I see twice yearly for skin cancer checks and who never comments on cosmetic skin issues, said “I see you have a lot of sun damage on your chest [pointing exactly to the skin that had been covered by the round necklines but exposed by the Vnecks]. We can fix that with a laser treatment.” She was right, I did the treatment, it fixed the damage, and I am back to round necklines.

• momentsofabsurdity says:

Always remember to apply sunscreen to the neck, decolletage and ears (everyone forgets ears), along with the top of your feet.

That being said, I look awful in crew necklines. So that’s not going to happen for me.

• Ditto to all of the above (including that crew necks are unflattering for me). One top of the ear sunburn set me straight. I have also taken up wearing hats. Even ridiculous hats. Having the extra face and scalp protection is worth looking like an idiot (hats don’t really suit me in general).

I have been trying to remember sunscreen for the decolletage every day- its sort of like my new spring/summer resolution.

• shortiek says:

……….and now I’m freaked out for the coming the summer.
      Around what age did you start start checking regularly for skin cancer?

I’m in my early 20s, just getting out adult acne *sigh*, and I wear spf65 every day (walk to work/class). I’m pale and freckle-y and tend to avoid pro-longed sun. My dad had basal cells removed a few years, so I’m worried I’ll have the same later on.

• Anonny says:

I am 23 and I go to the dermatologist every 2 years to get looked at for abnormal moles and things. Granted, I have a LOT of freckles/moles and melanoma runs in the family.

• Sunscreen? says:

I started going twice yearly when I was 28 because that year my father was diagnosed with a malignant melanoma. That was 18 years ago. The first time I saw her, the dermatologist gave me a lecture about avoiding the sun, wearing protective clothing and sunscreen. That lecture is almost certainly the reason I have the skin of a 30 year old today, at 45.

The point that I learned with the Vnecks is that sunscreen alone is not enough: you also need to protect your skin with hats or clothing.

• lucy stone says:

I’m 28, pale no freckles, and I go 2x yearly. I’ve had to have an actinic keratosis frozen off my face about 7 times now and I’ve also had a bunch of moles and growths removed. Better safe than sorry.

• Marie Curie says:

I see a dermatologist once yearly, and I’m 24. I’m pale, have a lot of moles and already had a suspicious one removed (it turned out to be nothing).

• I wear a hat with a large enough brim to shade my bust, and wear SPF. I look way too boobtastic in high necklines.

• Oh, also, make sure your sunscreen is full spectrum/ UVA and UVB. Some sunscreens only protect against the rays that cause cancer and burns, but not the ones that cause wrinkles.

• Sunscreen? says:

Exactly! I am looking forward to seeing that change this summer when companies have to start complying with the new FDA rules.

• They don’t have to change them, just label them. Most American ones don’t have physical blockers which are far better than the chemical ones- look for zinc or titanium dioxide. They don’t degrade after an hour like chems. But they are tough on clothes- I never forget (skin cancer prone) but yuck what a mess especially on nice shirts and jackets.

4. twenty three says:

I am a long-time lurker of this site — I love reading through the comments and seeing the advice and inspiration! And as a 23 year-old, I often don’t feel like I have many opinions to offer. But now I am in a rather murky situation and I would love some advice.

Yesterday I went to a job interview and received an offer. My boss was aware of the interview and I told her that I accepted the offer as soon as I came back to the office. We are parting on very amiable terms (she wrote a recommendation letter for me).

However, I am having trouble figuring out my two weeks notice. I have a vacation that was planned (approved, tickets already paid for, etc) for the week of May 14 – 18. Is it appropriate to count that as one of my two weeks?

For what it’s worth, I am an administrative assistant right now at a small non-profit. Although I have a lot of responsibilities, they also did not have a person in my position for several months before they hired me. Any advice is welcome!

• HippieEsq says:

I think it would be NICE to give them a full two weeks, so you would need to extend out your notice period to account for the pre-planned vacation. From a moralistic perspective, you kind of “owe” them since they were nice about you interviewing and even gave you a recommendation. You never know when you will need a rec. again, so don’t burn any bridges unless you have to!

• Emily I says:

When is your new job supposed to start? Do you want to ask your boss whether your last day can be May 11? Would you be willing to work another week following your vacation before leaving?

I haven’t been in your situation, but it sounds like you have a terrific boss. I would just tell her that you want to make your transition out of the office go smoothly, but that you have a vacation already planned for May 14 -18. Then, depending on the answers to the questions above, either ask her if having your last day in the office be May 11 (and getting your May 14-18 vacation in as an employee) would be a problem for the organization OR tell her you would be willing to have your last day be May 25.

Good luck with the new job!

• Coalea says:

Not really advice, just sharing my own experience…

I gave notice at my first post-college job in mid-December. I had planned time off to visit family over Christmas way back in the summer. I thought I was being really generous to the company by not counting that time into my 2 weeks’ notice – I gave them 2 weeks (1 in December and 1 in January) during which I worked, and 1 during which I did not (but when the office was open and they could have worked on hiring a replacement). This meant that I had to delay my start date at my new job, but I thought it was the right thing to do.

Turns out my boss was really upset with me and when I asked her what she thought would have been an appropriate amount of time she said SIX WEEKS! For an underpaid entry-level position? I think not.

• twenty three says:

Thanks for all your advice guys!

I do have a terrific boss. She was convinced I was going to get the job before the interview and gave me a “goodbye present” the day of the interview. So part of me feels like she knew I was leaving, knew that I had vacation coming up and would account for it.

I do not have a start date for my new job (it is in child welfare so it is contingent on a background check/drug test) but the Director (my new boss) said something to the effect of “If you plan on giving a two weeks notice I would give it today” which made me nervous on when they were expecting me to start working.

My boss is not in today, but my co-worker strongly suggested I write a resignation letter and put it on her desk. Which is why I turned to Corporette!

I went with ” My last day of employment will be May 18th. Depending on my availability and the start date of my new position, I am definitely be willing to work until May 25th, and to train someone after normal work hours once a replacement has been found. “

5. Duchess says:

Shopping help, please?

A few months ago, my mom told me she really wants a new robe (and I just remembered this today…), so I want to get one for her for Mother’s Day. The problem is that she is VERY particular about what she wants. Long, soft (she gets too cold with silk), and with no collar or hood. I found the N Natori Long Belted Robe at Lord & Taylor for an awesome price, and Nordstrom and Bloomingdale’s have similar ones from Natori, but much more expensive. All are good options, but I’m just not in love with them. My sister and I already bought her a really nice bag, so I’d like to keep the cost low-ish (ideally under $50, but definitely under $100). I think I’d be completely sold on the L&T one if it came in something other than red — a color I love, but only ever see my mom wear at Christmas. Ideas? I’m in the DC area, so local options could work, too, but I’m currently planning to order online.

• momentsofabsurdity says:

How about this one, which you could get monogrammed?

• momentsofabsurdity says:

Argh that link didn’t finish but it is the Women’s Regular Midcalf Sleep-T Robe at Lands End.

• Duchess says:

OMG. I think that’s perfect. She normally has a blue robe, so I’ve mostly been looking for blue. I never would have thought to check LE for a robe. Thanks!

• The Lands End cotton robes are so soft and wonderful. I have a full-length one that’s about 3 sizes too big and I can’t bring myself to part with it because it’s so comfortable.

• Anon 42 says:

Anthro? They usually have some cute ones on sale.

• mamabear says:

I have the Natori robe (in jersey, the “shan-gri-la” – probably the one you see at Nordstrom) and I am in love with it. It’s not the most interestingly styled robe on the planet, but the fabric is wonderful. In fact, I love it so much I’m on my second one, despite the fact that it was rather expensive for a jersey robe. I wear it every single morning & my first one lasted over 5 years. Mine is black and not see-through, so I am perfectly comfortable wearing it around the house while I’m getting myself (and two kids and two cats) ready in the morning.

• An unexpected source – Bath and Body Works. My husband gave me one when we were long distance – in lieu of hugs, awww – and it is the softest, fuzziest, best thing. And it washes up really well and has held up for five years.

6. a passion for fashion says:

Random PSA –

I would just like to sing the praises of the Dr. Sholls inserts for high heels. They are awesome. They are clear, skinny, gel-ish inserts that stick to your shoe and are specificlaly made for heels 2 inches or higher. they provide extra cushion for the balls of your feet, and extra arch support as well. I bought them for a pair of shoes and love them some much i have started adding them to the rest of my shoes. I think they are about 10 bucks a pair. I know there are some store brands that are less expensive, but i have not tried those yet.

Interesting. I’m newly and very deeply in love with the SuperFeet insoles for high heels. They are about $20 at Nordie’s. I’ll have to give these Dr. Scholl’s ones a try as well. Thanks for the tip!

• Last time I bought these, at least, the sticky stuff on the bottom left residue on my shoe soles… quite a bit. Not sure if they’ve fixed that, but be careful.

• a passion for fashion says:

I think this is true, but i dont think you are really supposed to take them out of your shoe, except maybe to replace them. And I had the same experience as Lynnet — felt a little weird at first, but fantastic after that.

• Lynnet says:

I just tried these for the first time about a week ago. They feel really weird at first, and I was worried that they would make the problem worse. But by the end of the day it didn’t feel like I’d even been in high heels at all. Then I wore the same shoes for the next two days, which I know from experience will normally make me want to cut off my feet at the ankle, and I had no pain, even during the afternoon on the third day. I’m a convert.

• look for the Dr. Scholls on Ama-zon or at drug-store dot com, you can usually get them on sale, or even a discount on a pack of 3 or 4… if you want them in all your shoes, like I do, you can save a lot of moolah.

7. Bonnie says:

PSA: yesterday’s Lord and Taylor dress is 25% off today with code ONEDAY. There is also an adorable seersucker dress in limited sizes.

8. I have this shirt in fuschia and red and I like it for under suits. It’s very soft. The only cons are that it’s slightly too clingy for my taste, and it hasn’t worn that well- gotten pilly pretty quickly. I think that’s because it’s such a soft fabric. But it’s not a bad shirt for suits and comes in a lot of pretty colors.

In other news, I bought my first ever purchase featured on this site! I bought the navy Tahari dress from yesterday and the matching jacket someone else posted. Thanks for the recs on sizing. I’ll let you all know if it works out!

• tall anon says:

When you wear this shirt under suits, do you take your jacket off? I could see how it would look great with a jacket over it, but I would feel like I was just wearing a t-shirt and dress pants (middle school dressing up style) if I ever took the jacket off.

9. hellskitchen says:

Ladies, any recommendations for good prenatal vitamins? My ob-gyn didn’t recommend any particular brand. I prefer ones without any animal products. Also, any particular vitamin D and iron supplements you’d recommend?

• MustLoveCats says:

Rainbow Light Just Once Prenatal One Multivitamin is what I took. It’s vegan and you only need 1 pill a day. I bought it on Amazon.

• Bonviva says:

I’d love a lead to prenatal vitamins that don’t cause burping, as so many vitamins do for me.

• BellyBar chewables! Haven’t missed a day in over a year and get no problems from them. Third trimester I needed more iron, and for that the liquid one from Whole Foods works (the pill one was a stomach nightmare).

• Maddie Ross says:

I do the gummie ones, which were blessed by my OB. I’m not sure they contain the highest amounts of the different vitamins, but it contains 100% of everything but iron and they are very easy on my stomach. I couldn’t do the horse-pill ones and they made me sick to my stomach like I was pregnant (which I’m not).

• Same here. I used the gummies (couldn’t tolerate anything else), and then added Slow-Fe for iron (I always got anemia during pregancy). Also take an additional folic acid supplement because the gummies do not have enough.

• a passion for fashion says:

id did these too, as they were all i could stomach. i kept taking them while nursing, and am still taking them now, just because.

• I have rather severe anemia, and have been taking Nu-Iron capsules for over a year. They are substantially more expensive than other similar iron supplements, but are far far easier on your stomach/digestion, if you know what I mean. =)

• Cookies and Wine says:

My OB didn’t recommend one either but approved of me taking Nature’s Own Organics Perfect Prenatal. It’s a little expensive and you have to take 3 pills a day (I think you can take them all at once, but I space them out and just take one with each meal). They are whole foods based, rather than isolates like most OTC vitamins, so supposedly it is easier for your body to recognize and use the vitamins. They also have probiotics in them. They are also small and can be taken without any food. I also take a DHA supplement because the Perfect Prenatal doesn’t have that — my dr. said probably not necessary but didn’t have a problem with it if I wanted to add it.

• hellskitchen says:

Thank you all! I am going to check these out. Appreciate the additional info on which ones don’t cause stomach upsets.

• Migraine Sufferer says:

I take floradix for iron and as a multivitamin and “D drops” or gummies for vitamin D.

10. River Song says:

New Chapter Organics Perfect Prenatal Vitamins.

11. Ladies, I am a lawyer who rarely dresses up for work. (Seriously I wear jeans just about everyday.) I obviously wear a suit when I go to court, but that is only a couple times a year and I have a few skirt suits for that purpose. However, I need a new pair of dress pants– like yesterday. I don’t want to spend more than probably $80 and I would like to get them from a store, not online. I am short, but curvy and wear a size 14. Any recs?

12. So I purchased a bunch of shoes for an event from Nordstrom. Wore one pair and basically after getting out of the car I realized standing + these shoes = impossible. I sucked it up and wore them for part of the night. I’m wondering if its wrong to try to take them back to Nordstrom? I’d love to exchange them for a pair of more comfortable shoes, but I’m feeling guilty. Thoughts?

• MissJackson says:

Nordstrom will not bat an eye if you take them back. I’ve had sales associates specifically tell me to wear shoes for a couple days and if they aren’t as comfortable as the sales associate says, bring them back. It’s incredible, but it’s true. On the plus side, I now buy nearly 100% of my shoes from Nordstrom, so they’ve won my loyalty with this policy.

• Oh.so.tired says:

One of the reasons I love Nordstrom’s is because they will take back shoes that have been worn. I have very sensitive feet and most shoes hurt my feet to a point that I have permanent scars from 2-3 hours of wear. Nordstroms has always taken them back when this happened.

13. SF Bay Associate says:

PSA – Brooks Brothers did second markdowns on clearance shoes. I picked up a pair of gray quilted ballet flats for $55, originally $200, marked down to $89 until this morning.

14. Kat, I just want to say, you do such an incredible job of finding great pieces, AND finding bargains for us! If I had the resources, I’d buy a lot more of them ;o) but I still really appreciate it.

15. Arthi says:

Sorry to be nitpicking here…. $25 virtual dollars for every $50 spent actually makes it $25 off $75, or 33%. You are not getting two shirts for the price of one.

Even if you only pay $25 for $50 you spend, you’d be spending $29.7 for two tees.

• Anonymous Poser says:

Actually, what you say sounds right. So I tried putting two of those tees in my shopping cart and entering the discount code to see whether it would be applied to my $53ish order. It was. Shipping on top of that is $8, though. If I had the $, I’d go for it. I’ve been finding some nice things at The Limited, too, though I wish they would include some longer jackets in their collection.

I just had a look and those tees seem to be sold out of all sizes except XL in all colors. Not very useful for most of us.

• Bonnie says:

I’m sure there was a much better selection 8 hours ago before hundreds of us looked at them. The power of Kat!

17. Midori says:

I have this shirt in 2 colors, and it is indeed pretty great. Note, though, that it runs VERY small, and the fabric is pretty thin and clingy. You can’t see through it so much, but textures show. I always wear a cami under mine to avoid the undergarment outlines. Fantastic for suit layering, though, and the neckline is a nice, ladylike balance between “t-shirt” and “that’s a lot of skin.”