I always have trouble finding a pair of comfortable but fashionable shoes, for two reasons – 1) I have wide feet and can only buy wide sized shoes, of which there is limited selection, and 2) I also have flat feet/collapsed arches. Could you suggest some brands that have nice shoes in wide sizes (especially ones that are available in Canada?) and which are also comfortable and affordable? And any other tips on shoe inserts, perhaps? Thanks!
We’ve talked about how to find shoes for your weird feet, as well as the best general shoe brands (and tips) for buying comfortable heels, but we haven’t talked about wide heels for a few years now. (I would recommend treating flat feet/wide feet as two different issues, but your podiatrist can advise you best there — we’ve talked before about women’s shoe inserts to make heels more comfortable.)
Readers have generally sung the praises of these brands as being comfortable heels; they also come in wide sizes — a lot of these have great arch support built in:
- Cobb Hill
- Enzo Angiolini
- Kate Spade New York
- Ros Hommerson
- Salvatore Ferragamo
- Sofft (Pictured at top — the Sofft Altessa Wide Pump, available in wide widths at Zappos on sale for $72 today).
- Stuart Weitzman
As noted before (either in our 2010 article or by commenters there), these online stores focus on shoes for wide feet:
- Barefoot Tess (now part of Long Tall Sally)
- Designer Shoes (update 2014: now closed)
- Roaman’s (also available in Canada)
- Wide Widths
- Wider Fit Shoes (UK)
- And you can always narrow a Zappos search just to wide heels (with free shipping and free returns the risk factor is very low here; once you find a brand you like check out their sister/markdown site, 6pm.com); ditto for Amazon, Nordstrom, and more.
Readers with wide heels — particularly those of you in Canada! — which are your favorite brands for work? Which are the most comfortable heels for wide feet?