Corso Como shoes don’t work for my feet, but a lot of people love them. (Their Del pump is consistently one of the highest rated!) These elegant flats look great — I’m always a sucker for a good perforated/cutout detail on flats. They were $99 but are now marked to $66 in the big Nordstrom sale. Corso Como ‘Gabrielle’ Perforated Flat
Archives for May 2016
With only a few weeks to go until summer officially begins, it’s a great time to discuss how to wear pantyhose in the summer — because even if your office is freezing, your commute won’t be. We’ve said it before, we’ll say it again: This is very much a “know your office” situation. If you’re new, assume that pantyhose are required and wear them at least the first day and all significant events to follow after that (big meetings, court appearances, etc.) — change that assumption if you see mid-levels going barelegged at big events.
Big work events aside, though, there are some women who love pantyhose — including many Corporette readers. (In fact, last time we talked about pantyhose in the summertime, readers seemed split on the topic, with only about half of them being on Team Bare Legs!) We also had a debate on underwear with pantyhose — to wear or skip? (One reader said she thought of them “panties with legs” — an interesting take.) If you do wear underwear with them, 100% cotton is best (although increasingly hard to find!), and even those who wear pantyhose sans underwear suggested making sure your stockings have a cotton gusset. By the way, make sure to check out our Guide to Pantyhose for Work, as well as some of our favorite brands of hose!
For those of you whose office dress codes mandate pantyhose year-round, and for those who just like wearing them to work, we’ve gathered a few tips from readers on staying comfortable if you have to wear pantyhose in the summer:
I continue to notice new things in the Nordstrom Half-Yearly Sale (did you see last week’s workwear picks and weekend roundup?) and this purple dress looks simple, versatile, and a great gateway drug to St. John. I’d wear it with neutrals like gray, navy, black, white, even beige, and add a pop of red (a heel, a lip) if I wanted to have a bit of fun with the color. It was $795 but is now marked 40% off to $476 (lucky sizes). St. John Collection Milano Knit Sheath Dress
Seen a great piece you’d like to recommend? Please e-mail [email protected]
Happy Memorial Day — may everyone have a great, long weekend. We’re already starting to see some sales, so we thought we’d round them up — stay tuned, though, as we’ll update this thread as we go — Kat’s top picks are in bold! Pictured at top: white heel / red heel / blue wedge, all on sale at the excellent Nordstrom sale (see our workwear picks and our weekend picks here). 5/30 Updates in red.
- 6PM.com – Up to 60% off athletic sneakers, comfort footwear, and best of clothing.
Take an extra 10% off your order with code PRESUMMER. Plus, up to 70% off office dresses, Frye shoes on sale, as well as Minkoff bags and more.
- Amazon – Memorial Day savings, up to 60% off!
- Ann Taylor – 50% off all full-price styles with code SUMMER50 — plus, extra 40% off sale styles.
- Anthropologie – Limited time only, extra 30% off all sale styles!
- ASOS – 20% off with code HISUMMER.
- Banana Republic – 40% off your purchase with code BRTAKE40.
- Barneys – 40% off select styles.
- Barneys Warehouse – Take up to an extra 60% off select women’s styles and home.
- Boden – 30% off plus free shipping and returns on orders over $49 – ends Monday! Use code 2Z7C at checkout.Up to 70% off Winter Clearance! (Lots of lucky sizes!)
- Brooks Brothers – Up to 60% off women’s styles.
- Club Monaco – Take an extra 30% off sale + clearance in stores and online with code WARMER.
- DvF – 30% off select styles and all sale with code SUMMER30
- Eddie Bauer – Everything up to 50% off.
- Express – Hello summer sale, 40% off.
- Forever 21 – Extra 30% off sale items with code EXTRA30 (plus free shipping on all orders).
- J.Crew – 30% off your purchase with code WEEKEND.
- J.Crew Factory – 50% off, in stores and online — plus an extra 40% off clearance styles, online only, with code EXTRA40.
- Kate Spade – Extra 25% off sale with code SPEECHLESS.
- Lands’ End – 50% off regularly priced swim and 30% off everything else with code STARS and PIN 9900.
- Last Call – Extra 50-65% off all clearance. Extra 30% off everything.
- The Limited – 60% off full price items with code TODAY. 50% off almost everything! Plus, $19 shorts and $10 tees, plus 60% off select styles.
- L.K. Bennett – 30% off all sale styles with code MD2016.
- Loft – 60% off summer faves + all sale styles, and 40% off new arrivals.
- Lord & Taylor – 25% off $200+, 20% off up to $199.99, 10% off fragrances; use code GIVE. (Plus 1% of net sales will benefit the USO.)
- Macy’s – Extra 20% off with code MEMDAY. Extra 25% off clearance.
- Neiman Marcus – Online clearance, extra savings, limited time only — plus, 40% off women’s designer prices!
- New York & Company – Everything is 50% off, no exclusions! $5 tees, $12 dresses! Plus, all clearance 70% off — many new styles added.
- Nordstrom – The Half-Yearly sale is on (as is the designer clearance!) — check out picks for workwear, plus sizes, and beyond.
- Nordstrom Rack – Clear the Rack Sale: Save up to 75% (with extra 25% off clearance).
- The Outnet – Extra 30% off select styles. Isabel Marant and Fendi up to 65% off, Victoria Beckham, Mary Katrantzou, and Oscar de la Renta up to 60% off, Acne Studios up to 55% off,
- Rebecca Taylor – 25% off sale with code EXTRA25.
- Reiss – Memorial Day sale, 30% off selected lines.
- Saks – Up to 40% off “vast designer selections.”
- Saks Off 5TH – Up to 85% off select styles with code FROMSAKS. Handbags up to 60% off.
- Talbots – Extra discounts on all markdowns, now through May 30 – take extra 40% off one item, and an extra 50% off two or more.
- Theory – Memorial Day Sale! Take an extra 25% off with code SUMMER.
- White House | Black Market – 25% off markdowns (prices as marked).
I keep seeing more great things in the Nordstrom sale, so I thought I’d do another little round-up of some favorite accessories, denim, weekend stuff, and more. (For example, pictured at top — this great sheath dress comes in teal and black and is down to $58, in regular and petite sizes.) Ladies, what have you bought thus far at the big sale? (Also, not on sale at all, but these two affordable, casual tops look great and are selling out kind of quickly: a cold shoulder top and an off the shoulder top.)
- In The New York Times, Vanessa Friedman writes that office dress codes don’t seem to make much sense anymore, while The Wall Street Journal looks at uniform dressing.
- Racked introduces us to entrepreneur Kiana Anvaripour’s Fovo, “a personalized e-commerce platform that uses a proprietary algorithm to send shoppers clothes tailored to their body shapes.” It carries sizes 00 to 32 but mostly de-emphasizes numbered sizes.
- Fountain of 30 explains why it’s too risky to buy an injectable or filler (like Botox) through a deals site like Groupon.
- Blue Collar Red Lipstick (one of our previously featured #RealWorkingWomen on Instagram) takes a close look at her closet and her environmental footprint.
- Create & Cultivate asked several successful women what common career advice they disagree with.
- Alison Green of Ask a Manager details the career issues she has changed her mind about, such as following up after job interviews.
- Above the Law recommends an episode of the podcast West Wing Weekly in which the hosts — with Ronald Klain — look back on Justice Ginsburg’s 1993 nomination.
- Bust wants you to “Meet The Men Behind Your Favorite Women’s Websites.”
On CorporetteMoms Recently…
- We talked about what would be an ideal day without kids around.
- Kat shared some clothes for working moms, including some maternity basics and washable office clothes.