In the wake of all the makeup sales lately, I’ve been perusing the “best seller” lists, and am continually surprised to see some of the listed products because I’ve tried them and been underwhelmed. I thought today it might be fun to discuss classic beauty products — what’s worth the hype, and which beauty products are overrated? For your review, Sephora has a list of best sellers as well as a list from Allure’s Best Beauty Products of 2014, Beauty.com has another list of Award Winning Beauty; and Ulta has a list of their fan favorites.
My list of the overrated beauty products includes:
- Diorshow — Meh. I briefly liked Benefit’s They’re Real!, but am still on the hunt for a good mascara. I’m keeping my eyes peeled for a mascara gift set for the season so I can try a bunch.
- NARS Lip Pencil – I have this in a dark mauve and I hate the way it wears. I’m ok with Clinique’s Chubby Sticks, but I’m always baffled when I see this one on best-of lists. (Note that Sephora has a limited edition Chubby Colour lip set for $25 with four shades.)
- Naked Palette. I WANT TO LIKE THIS SO BADLY! It just seems like a lot of blah to me. Even for daily, low-key makeup, I reach for a million other things first.
- Benefit’s High Beam – meh. I do really like the eyebrow highlighter pencil in a very similar shade, though. In general, I prefer Nars the Multiple to add a bit of shimmer to my cheeks before I head out for the evening. I had a gold highlighter from Josie Maran (which they don’t seem to make anymore) that I loved, and was excited to see Benefit come out with a similar gold highlighter, but after watching the video it looks like it isn’t intended for my pale skin at all. I’ll still try it the next time I’m in a store, though…
- Benefit’s Benetint – I feel like I’ve been trying to like this one for 20+ years. Meh.
- Tarte cheek stains — in fairness, I’ve never owned one of these, but I’ve tried them on in the store a zillion times. They just don’t look like anything on me.
My list of classic beauty products worth the hype: