Ladies — The Nordstrom Winter Clearance Sale is still on through 2/26! I did our big workwear roundup from the Winter #Nsale last Thursday — but I thought I’d take a look at what’s left in the sale at this point. Click this link to see all of the previous things we’ve featured for Coffee Breaks and Workwear Reports that are now in the sale — TONS of stuff we’ve previously featured is on sale, including a ton of shoes from our Workwear Hall of Fame (the best-selling, top-rated styles that have been around for EONS).
Jewelry for the office: fashion or fine? Is fashion jewelry or fine jewelry more appropriate for the workplace — or is it a know your office situation? Is there such a thing as everyday fine jewelry, other than an engagement ring? Does price and taste enter into it? (Bonus question for the bottom of the post, too: would you wear the pictured necklace to work? Would your answer change if you thought it cost more or less than your home?) Here’s Reader A’s question:
I’m an avid reader of your blog and I have a question for you. :) I read your 2012 jewelry post and was wondering if you had advice on fashion vs fine jewelry in the office. I work in a very casual office (uggs are not out of place even on senior management) but the executives tend to dress sharp and polished. However, I’ve never seen anyone wear pearls or gemstones outside of their wedding rings. Are fine jewelry styles only appropriate in formal offices?
Very interesting question. I do suspect this is a “know your office” situation, but I’m very curious to hear from the readers because I’d love to know which kind of jewelry you prefer to wear to the office, fashion or fine. First, some definitions for purposes of discussion today…
The cashmere sales have begun (including this old favorite gray cardigan), which is great if you’re a fan of cashmere sweaters for work (for when it’s actually cold outside, not this unseasonably warm weather we’re having!). Neiman Marcus has had some reader-favorite cashmere styles in the past, and this surplice faux-wrap sweater is a long-standing stalwart at NM. It’s there every season in new colors, and it looks great if you want a very classy but fashionable look. It’s currently available in seven colors in sizes S-XL, and in plus sizes as well, for $137 (from $275). Cashmere Faux-Wrap Sweater
This post contains affiliate links and Corporette® may earn commissions for purchases made through links in this post. For more details see here. Thank you so much for your support!
2017 Update: We’re adding this dress to our Workwear Hall of Fame because it keeps coming out in more colors and getting rave reviews. Neiman Marcus has the most options, but occasionally Last Call has the sweater as well.
Seen a great piece you’d like to recommend? Please e-mail [email protected]
Happy Presidents’ Day Weekend, ladies! Of course the Nordstrom Winter sale is the big sale going on right now, but what else is notable among the many stores having sales this weekend? I started rounding these up today and got a bit carried away — there are some great sales going on. The seven sales that I would check out first are in bold. Happy shopping!
Thank you for your support: this post contains affiliate links.
Monday updates are in red. Readers, have you seen any great sales so far?
Pictured: Flickr / pagedooley (colors modified a bit and cropped).
- 6pm – Presidents’ Day Clearance, starting at 60% off MSRP! Plus, Clearance Closet!
- Amazon – Dresses for under $100, handbags and wallets for under $50.
- Ann Taylor – 40% off all full-price styles plus 50% off all sale styles!
- Anthropologie – Extra 40% off all sale items!
- ASOS – Get 20% off with code PREZ20.
- Banana Republic – 40% off your purchase.
- Bare Necessities – Super sale, bras $17.99 and up.
- Barney’s Warehouse – President’s Day Sale, plus clearance!
- Bergdorf Goodman – Prices up to 75% off, including Akris Punto, The Row, Vince, and more!
- Bloomingdale’s – Take 20% off sitewide.
- Boden – Up to 70% off clearance! Final sale only.
- Brooks Brothers – Women’s Clearance! Plus, 3 for $159 shirts, and fall accessories 60% off.
- Club Monaco – 25% off all women’s trenches, plus tons of items added to sale section.
- Dressbarn – Now up to 70% off. $9.99 tops and sweaters, $12.99 pants and skirts, and $14.99 dresses.
- Diane von Furstenberg – Tons of dresses 50% off.
- Express – 40% off everything.
- EverEve – Semi-annual clearance sale, up to 70% off + free shipping on all orders over $50.
- Henri Bendel – Up to 40% off, this weekend only. Plus, $100 off every $400 spent on FPM, and $50 off every $200 spent.
- JC Penney – Presidents’ Day Event, extra 30% off $100 or more, or extra 25% off under 100.
- J.Crew – 30% off your purchase.
- J.Crew Factory – 50% off everything! Prices as marked. Plus, free shipping with code HALFSIES.
- Lands’ End – Friends & Family sale; 30% off your order.
- Last Call – Presidents’ Day sale, one day only: save up to 85% off clearance. Plus, huge savings on premier designers from Neiman Marcus, including Giorgio Armani, The Row, Burberry, Tom Ford, Chloe, Saint Laurent, Michael Kors, and more!
- Loft – Flash sale: sale on sale, extra 60% off! Also, 40% off all current styles.
- Lord & Taylor – 5 day specials, now through Monday. Plus, up to 80% off clearance.
- Macy’s – Extra 25% off + free shipping at $49, or $10 off your purchase of $10 or more.
- Madewell – Extra 30% off all sale styles.
- Naturalizer – Extra 25% off sale; prices already reduced up to 70%.
- New York & Company – Today, pants & jeans doorbusters, with winter clearance 60-80% off. Dresses $25+.
- Nordstrom – The big winter sale has started — see our roundup here.
- Nordstrom Rack – Now until Feb. 20: Clear the rack! Take an extra 25% off clearance.
- Neiman Marcus – Clearance items as much as 90% off!
- Off5TH – Presidents’ Day Weekend Extra Cut; take an extra 25% off select clearance.
- Rebecca Taylor – Enjoy an extra 25% off sale online and in stores with code Feb 25.
- Reiss – Final reductions, up to 60% off.
- Shopbop – Prices up to 70% off!
- Talbots – End of season clearance! Extra 70% off markdowns; up to 80% off original prices.
- Target – Presidents’ Day sale! 25% off clothes, shoes and accessories!
- Trina Turk – Spring savings, save $75 off your full price purchase of $350.
- Uniqlo – Shop the lowest prices of the season. Cashmere sweaters down to $9-$39, merino sweaters down to $9-$20.
- White House | Black Market – Take an additional 40% off most sale styles with code 50458.
- Zappos – Tons of new markdowns in their clearance section!
The Nordstrom Winter sale is on! As promised earlier, I thought I’d poke through the sale to pick out some fo the best workwear in the big winter #nsale. Some general notes at the outset:
- Great selection of Classiques Entier — you can get an entire suit for $300! Lots of cute blazers and blouses too.
- Lingerie-wise: so many cute Hanky Panky things are 40% off; Natori is well-represented in the sale (they have a lot of top-rated bras, including this one), as is Cosabella
- Note that while we’ve included a few plus-size options here, you can check more out on our page full of plus-size workwear picks
One other note — each row of clothing goes from least expensive to most expensive — almost everything on the page is really affordable. (This suit is the real outlier, but it was too pretty not to include!) Pretty much everything else ranges in price from $9-$150.
What should you wear to work when you work with some colleagues who dress very casually and very formally — is there some way to build a work wardrobe that straddles the business casual to business formal line? Is there a way to do business casual without being overdressed? Reader A, a young woman who works in Silicon Valley, wonders especially what women should wear to work in Silicon Valley:
I recently started a job at a tech behemoth in Silicon Valley. My work requires me to interface both with Engineers (think shorts, hoodies, flip-flops) and business/sales leaders who dress business casual to formal. As much as I feel comfortable in jeans and t-shirts, I am trying not to stand out from either crowd. Any suggestions on what would be appropriate mid-way options?
Great question, A! We’ve talked before about business casual for women (we’re actually at work on a monster guide to business casual!), offered ideas on how to dress in a male-dominated business casual office, how to be professional in a laid-back office, and how to transition your wardrobe from business formal to business casual — but not in a while, so let’s discuss. Some immediate thoughts on what to wear to work in Silicon Valley: