Sure, we all know what basics professional women are supposed to have in their closets, but if you’re buying one for the first time or replacing one you’ve worn into the ground, it can be a pain to find exactly the right incarnation in stores. In “The Hunt,” we search the stores for a basic item that every woman should have.
Which are your favorite knee-high boots for the office? As booties are big this season do you find that you’re wearing them less than in prior years, or do you still prefer the sleek look of knee-high boots with dresses? On the flip side, are knee-high boots inappropriate at your office? We haven’t done a round-up in a while (2014, 2013, 2012), so I thought we’d take a look. As noted in previous years, the sleekest boots for work avoid Western influences like buckles and heavy seams, and while a heel isn’t essential (flat knee-high boots have come a long way!) they do tend to be more flattering with skirts. (We’ll do a separate roundup of flat knee-high boots for work a bit later this season; stay tuned!) Fun questions for the gang: do you pretreat your boots or otherwise make changes (e.g., waterproof sprays, adding rubber heel tips) or do you only do that when you take your boots in to the cobbler for their seasonal refresh? If you love your boots, which brand and style is your favorite for work?
First, a round-up for some special interests: — unless noted all links go to Amazon, Nordstrom or Zappos:
- Hall of Fame (ones mentioned in previous Hunts that are still available): Ivanka Trump, Jessica Simpson, Sam Edelman, Jimmy Choo
- Under $150: Jessica Simpson, Nine West, Me Too, J. Renee, Sam Edelman, Tahari, Donald J. Pliner, Boden
- Waterproof: La Canadienne, La Canadienne, Ugg, Mephisto, Aquatalia
- Extended widths (AA, N, C, W): Vaneli, Naturalizer, J. Renee, Naturalizer, Sam Edelman
- Extended sizes (4-13): Vaneli, Naturalizer, J. Renee, Nine West (5-12), Stuart Weitzman, Naturalizer
- Wide calves: Cole Haan, Naturalizer, Sam Edelman, Ann Taylor (also try Duo Boots, now apparently known as Ted & Muffy)
- Narrow calves (13.75″ circumference or under): Franco Sarto, Michael Kors, Jimmy Choo (also try Duo Boots, now apparently known as Ted & Muffy)
- Comfort: La Canadienne, La Canadienne, Mephisto, Taryn Rose, Pikolinos (don’t forget to check out our entire guide to comfortable heels)
- Shorter shafts for petites (15″ or under): La Canadienne, J. Renee (11″!), Taryn Rose
- Low heeled (2″ or under): La Canadienne, Jessica Simpson, Vaneli, Naturalizer, J. Renee
As far as general sales go, do note that Cole Haan is on sale today at Nordstrom Rack, 6pm has a ton of Weitzman boots marked 50-70% off (including these gorgeous boots), and Amazon has a ton of Taryn Rose on sale for at least 25% off.