This was suggested by readers as a great classic bag in one of our recent “next step” conversations (perhaps about upgrading your handbag), and it’s easy to see why — it’s a nice, simple leather tote. I like the interior organizer, the zip top, the 13″ x 15″ x 7″ size, and the 180 positive reviews and 4.5 star rating. It’s available in black and brown, and is $179 full price at L.L. Bean, but you can save 10% (ends today) with the code SAVE10. L.L. Bean Town and Field Leather Tote
There are limited sizes and colors left, but this Cole Haan Air shoe is a classic, and it’s rare to see it almost 70% off. Love the buttery soft suede and the patent cap toe… gorgeous. It was $148, but is now marked to $47. Cole Haan Air Juliana Pump 45
Ooh, I love this 10×15 tote from Anya Hindmarch — the yellow color is so striking, and I think it would be a fun briefcase alternative. I’d wear this color of yellow all year long, but particularly now in the fall as a complement to dark greens, reds, and oranges, as well as a fun pop against dark gray and navy in general. The bag was $1,795, but is now marked to $628 at The Outnet. Anya Hindmarch Seymour Textured-Leather Tote
(Here are a couple of lower-priced alternatives: Kate Spade New York has a similarly styled bag that has a color block of yellow and yellow details (final sale), and this mustard tote from Aldo is reduced to just $51 at Bon-Ton.)
Yes, yes, I love a good blue detail — but I also like the mixture of prints on this scarf. What fun! Five different patterns mix and mingle, making this a lightweight statement piece that packs a lot of punch. I’d wear it with a very simple, neutral outfit otherwise, such as a black scoopneck tee and black trousers. The scarf is $178 at DVF.com. Diane von Furstenberg Boomerang Multi Print Silk Scarf
Here’s a lower-priced scarf with multiple patterns.
Psst: We have a beta version of the collapsible comment thread feature working (as requested by readers in our redesign thread). Please let us know what you think! And big thanks to our tech guru extraordinaire, Rustan, for getting it done so quickly!
Just a few other housekeeping notes — I’ve quietly added some more links to the sidebar that hopefully will improve site navigation for folks:
- (near the top) links to recent TPS reports, coffee breaks, sales, Suit of the Week, the Hunt, Tales from the Wallet, and our general career advice and fashion advice categories
- (in the middle) a widget that tells you what posts are popular this month — we’re working to make a number of improvements and tweaks already, but for the moment I think it’s helpful
- (near the bottom) links to ask a reader Q, submit a tech problem, suggest a site improvement, or otherwise contact us
- (near the bottom) an RSS feed of what’s been published on CorporetteMoms lately
- Finally — I know we’re still having problems with our RSS feed (grrrrrrrrrrr rrrrr rrrrrrrrrrr) but for the moment we have a “Follow us on Feedly” button that takes you to the correct feed since I know that’s been problematic for a lot of people.
Rustan (our tech guy) is working on improving search functionality (and about a zillion other things I’ve thrown his way lately).
Amazon is offering an additional 20% off a ton of bags and shoes, making some sale prices even lower. Take, for example, this tote from Rebecca Minkoff: it was $195, then marked to $136, but with code 20OFFVET it comes down to $109. Nice. It’s a great basic leather tote bag, and at 13″ x 18.5″ x 5.5″ it’s plenty big. Plus, it’s eligible for Prime. Hooray! Rebecca Minkoff Cherish Travel Tote
Oooh: I like this pretty tote from Kate Spade, now on a pretty steep (50%) discount. I like the interior pockets, the fun lining, the feet, and the fact that it zippers on top — all very important! It’s available in gray, beige, and black, for $224 at Kate Spade New York (final sale, alas). Kate Spade Southport Avenue Cameron