2017 Update: Check out our latest roundup of nude-for-you heels!
Sure, we all know what basics professional women are supposed to have in their closets, but if you’re buying one for the first time or replacing one you’ve worn into the ground, it can be a pain to find exactly the right incarnation in stores. In “The Hunt,” we search the stores for a basic item that every woman should have.
Beige pumps and other “nude” heels are starting to hit the stores (just in time for our first blast of spring-like weather!), so I thought we’d go on a Hunt since we haven’t done one for beige heels in a while. As a reminder, beige pumps are a great neutral for all skin tones, but the theory is that the closer to your exact skin tone you can get with any shoe, the more elongating and flattering a look it can be with sheer hose or bare legs. (Here’s our last guide on when and how to wear pantyhose if you need a refresher!) Ladies, do you have any favorite beige/tan/pink/caramel/brown pumps that you love because they match your skin tone and are YOUR nude heels? Any perfect shades of beige heels that you love regardless of whether they match your skin tone? (Stay tuned for a separate roundup of nude-for-you flats!)
First, a roundup of some general categories of nude-for-you heels (including our top picks for colors other than beige):
- Hall of Fame: Corso Como, Sam Edelman, Sole Society, Michael Michael Kors, Comfort Plus by Predictions, Stuart Weitzman, Salvatore Ferragamo (Carla), Salvatore Ferragamo (Varina)
- Comfort: Michael Michael Kors, Rockport, Comfort Plus by Predictions, Trotters, Stuart Weitzman, Salvatore Ferragamo, Anyi Lu (do check out our newly updated guide to comfortable heels)
- Under $100: Sole Society, Michael Michael Kors, Comfort Plus by Predictions, BCBGeneration, Lands’ End, Merona (wedge)
- Lower heels: Rockport, Michael Michael Kors, Calvin Klein, Ann Taylor, Banana Republic, Paul Mayer, Ivanka Trump, Kate Spade New York, Christian Louboutin, Louise et Cie, Stuart Weitzman, Salvatore Ferragamo
- Wedges: Cole Haan, Salvatore Ferragamo, Dirty Laundry, Merona, Via Spiga
- Different widths: Corso Como, Louise et Cie, Sam Edelman, Bella Vita (N M W WW), Trotters (NMW), Stuart Weitzman (NMW)
- Extended sizes (4-13): Bella Vita (5-12), BCBGeneration (5-12), Louise et Cie (4-11), Trotters (5-12), Stuart Weitzman (4-12)
- Pink pumps (which can be good if you’re super pale like me): Pour La Victoire, Kate Spade New York, Badgley Mischka, Ivanka Trump, Bettye by Bettye Muller
- Tan/caramel/”luggage” pumps: Corso Como, Louise et Cie (NMW), Bella Vita (comfort, NMW)
- Mushroom/cafe au lait pumps: Sole Society (“mushroom”), Kate Spade New York (“camel,” NMW), Michael Michael Kors (“dark khaki”), Corso Como (“taupe”), Trotters (“dark suede,” NMW), Nine West (“natural leather”)
- Dark brown pumps: Calvin Klein, Trotters (comfort, NMW), Dirty Laundry (wedge, MW), Rockport (comfort, MW), Anne Klein
|There are a ton of nice-looking heels in the “under $100” category above — most notably, perpetual reader favorite Comfort Plus by Predictions, as well as another old favorite (in years past, at least), the Merona wedge. Still, these $68 pumps are where I would start, particularly given my preference for strappy pumps — the pinky beige looks lovely, the price point is great, and the 90 positive reviews don’t hurt either. N.B. that they’re also in our Hall of Fame; this particular style has been around and well-reviewed for several years now. They’re available in “adobe” (pictured), black and red, sizes 5-11, for $68. Sole Society ‘Tamra’ Pointy Toe Pump|
|A bow detail can be great, and they’re very hot right now — but if you, like me, prefer a more subdued bow, these Nine West heels look lovely. They’re just under 3″, available in black and beige in sizes 4.5-12 for $88 at Nordstrom; note that Zappos has a few more colors, including a pale pink and a navy. Nine West ‘Kelda Bow’ Pump|
|Another shoe in our Hall of Fame: the Michael Michael Kors Flex pump. It’s come in several iterations over the years; right now you can find it in several neutral colors in both the 2.25″ kitten heel and (pictured) the 3.25″ mid-heel. All of the shoes are $98. I’ve pictured “dark khaki” but it also comes in “nude patent,” a slightly brighter/pinker beige. MICHAEL Michael Kors ‘Flex’ Pump|
|This asymmetric, strappy pump is listed as “brown nappa,” and I suspect this would be a flattering color on a ton of people with all kinds of different skin tones. At 2.75″ it’s a walkable heel height; it also comes in black nappa. It’s $350 at Nordstrom. SJP by Sarah Jessica Parker SJP ‘Luce’ Asymmetrical Strap d’Orsay Pump|
|Block heels are becoming huge right now, and for those of us who prefer lower/steadier heels, that can be a good thing. These Stuart Weitzman heels look lovely — I particularly like the line of the toe, which isn’t quite almond or round, and isn’t quite pointy either. A few other beige shoes with block heels: Anyi Lu, Chloé, Rebecca Minkoff… The pictured shoes are available in “adobe aniline” and black patent for $425 at Nordstrom. Stuart Weitzman ‘Boldfore’ Block Heel Pump|
|A few years ago Louboutin made waves for having a whole line of “nude heels” out — there were something like 5 or 6 shades of beige/brown to choose from. They’re incredibly difficult to find right now, at least online (here’s a link to one style of shoe in 6 different shades of “blush”) — but don’t forget about eBay if you’re on the hunt. Pictured: At 2.25″ these are just slightly higher than one of my favorites, the Weitzman Poco. They’re $675 at Nordstrom. Christian Louboutin ‘Pigalle Follies’ Pointy Toe Pump|
Like this feature? Check out other recent installments!
(all shoes pictured are linked at the top of the post)