Sure, we all know what basics professional women are supposed to have in their closets, but if you’re buying one for the first time or replacing one you’ve worn into the ground, it can be a pain to find exactly the right incarnation in stores. In “The Hunt,” we search the stores for a basic item that every woman should have.
Oxblood, burgundy, port, wine, sangria, claret — I’ve always thought this purpley/red wine-blood color is perfect for work shoes. Wear purple pumps to work as a neutral with navy and black — add a tiny touch of color to light gray outfits — and have fun contrasting them with pops of yellow, bright blue, and bright red. Ladies, do you wear purple heels for work? What exact shade is your favorite? Of the trendier styles (pointy toes, block heels), do you have a favorite? Do you have any favorite purple pumps from years past?
- Hall of Famers: Manolo Blahnik, Corso Como, Rockport, Comfort Plus by Predictions, MICHAEL Michael Kors, Nine West
- Under $100: Corso Como, Comfort Plus by Predictions, Michael Michael Kors, Athena Alexander, Tahari, Charles by Charles David, Sole Society (block heel), Calvin Klein (1.75″ heel), Me Too,
- Splurges: Prada, Manolo Blahnik, Nicholas Kirkwood, Chloé,
- Waterproof: Aquatalia (block heel), Aquatalia (skinny heel)
- Extended widths: (come in sizes like AA, C, W, etc): Naturalizer (N M W), Trotters (N M W, under 2″), Trotters (blockier heel), Rockport (M W), Sam Edelman (M, W), Naturalizer (platform, N M W WW)
- Extended sizes: (come in sizes 4-13): Naturalizer (4-12), Sam Edelman (4-12), Franco Sarto (4-13), Nine West (5-13)
- Wedges: Clarks, Eileen Fisher, Tod’s, Easy Spirit
- Heels under 2″: Eileen Fisher, Athena Alexander, Calvin Klein, Trotters,
- Comfort: Naturalizer (strappy), Rockport, Eileen Fisher, Earthies, Trotters, Trotters (blockier heel), Naturalizer (.5″ platform), Easy Spirit (strappy) — don’t forget to check out our entire guide to comfortable heels
Some Hall of Famers are pictured here — these are best selling styles that come back year after year, priced $15-$595…
|These Athena Alexander pumps are only $59, and a solid four star rating over at Nordstrom — sounds like a winner. They’re even selling out in this color — only sizes 5-8.5 are left. (Lots of sizes left in the other four colors the pumps come in, though.) Athena Alexander ‘Teague’ Pointy Toe Pump|
|Block heels are huge for fall, of course, and I like these 3″ heels from Franco Sarto, a brand that has always reliably made comfortable heels in the past. (And 3″ is a heckuva lot more walkable than these 4.25″ heels or these 3.75″ heels!) The pictured heels are $109, available in sizes 4-13, in seven colors. SARTO By Franco Sarto ‘Aziza’ Block Heel Pump|
|I featured these during the Nordstrom Anniversary Sale, and the good reviews keep coming in — they’re now up to 130 reviews, almost a solid 5 stars. I love the tiny spikes at the heel for a bit of an edgier look, and the 3″ heel otherwise looks classic and great. (Also kind of hot: these “sangria velvet” heels, also $120, also from Sam Edelman.) The pictured shoes are $120, and available in six other colors, sizes 4-12, widths M and W. Sam Edelman Tonia Spike Rand Pointy Toe Pump|
|Wow: I keep hearing readers raving about Coach heels, and this may be the pair that I try — I love the mix of leather and suede, and the dark oxblood color is perfect. They’re available in sizes 5-11, in four colors for $185. (This is a very similar style from Coach but it’s on sale for $115.) COACH ‘Sophie’ Pointy Toe Pump|
|I haven’t seen a Weitzman pump I’ve liked in a while, but these Marymid pump looks great — the angled heel and slightly square toe have a fresher look — and they’re getting good reviews and selling out. (Also in this price range: these d’Orsay pumps from Vince, and this skinnier heel from Weitzman.) The pictured shoes are $375, available in five colors, sizes 4-12. Stuart Weitzman ‘Marymid’ Pump|
Like this feature? Check out other recent installments!