Brooks Brothers’ Friends & Family sale is on, and ends tonight! I always like the scarf and accessory selections there, so I’m drooling over these tie stripe oblong scarf — it seems fun in a “borrowed from the boys” kind of way. It was $98, then marked to $68, and it comes down to $51ish with code FF25. Brooks Brothers Tie Stripe Scarf
Nordstrom is not usually one to have a secret sale, but not only is there no big announcement on the home page, I can’t even find a good link to send you guys to the entire collection of sale stuff. Yet, I noticed a ton of great workwear that has just hit 60% off (thank you, Shop it To Me newsletter), and thought I’d round up a few…
- I really like this Classiques Entier Sunmosa Ponte cutout detail dress, pictured — limited sizes, but it’s down from $228 to $89.97 (also in black)…try this link to see (for some reason, at the bottom if you filter by “sale”) all the Classiques Entier stuff marked 50-60% off…
- the two Kate Spade New York dresses (Gwendolyn and the peplum dress) I mentioned last week during the Kate Spade sale — at $151 they’re on less of a markdown, but on the plus side they’re both returnable…
- this nice Helmut Lang ‘Resid Print’ Draped Crossover Back Tank — love the colors. It was $210, but is now down to $83. And, whee — it comes in a dress, also down 60% (to $117).
- this zebra print sheath dress from Trina Turk (Trina Turk ‘Foxe’ Print Woven Sheath Dress), was $268, now $107 — this skirt (Trina Turk ‘Marteena’ A-Line Skirt) is also amazing, but only 40% off (was $188 now $112)
- Lots of DVF marked 40-60% off, including this lovely fit and flare dress (Diane von Furstenberg ‘Gabby’ Stretch Knit Fit & Flare Dress), was $498 now $199.20, or this blouse (Diane von Furstenberg ‘Gilmore’ Blouse), was $298 now $119
- There is a good amount of Theory on sale, too, such as this silk top (Theory Sala Silk Top) marked from $245 to $98, or this sheath dress (lucky size large, was $415 now $166 – Abrissa Sheath Dress)
My best tip for the sale: if there’s a brand you love that I haven’t already mentioned, do a search on it, then filter by “Sale” — for some reason it doesn’t put the largest amount of sale stuff first (e.g., 33% stuff may be filtered before 60% stuff), but it does put all of the markdowns stuff ahead of the full-price stuff.
Readers, did you get anything at Nordstrom’s secret sale today? Any great pieces on sale not mentioned above?
Here’s a fun question for you: are you the office mom*? I’ve read that being the office mom tends to hurt your career because people see you as, well, the MOM instead of the professional you are. So here’s the Q: do you agree that being the “office mom” is a bad thing — or is it just another management style? Are you the office mom, or do you work with one? Is it more appropriate (or effective) in some office cultures, and less in others?
For my $.02, I have always been totally guilty of this — long before I became a mom. I never baked cookies or cupcakes for people, BUT: I like to be prepared, and I generally remember the birthdays and other fun stuff (with a little help to remember personal details). So I used to carry with me (and keep in my desk) all sorts of stuff — Shout Wipes! Bandaids! Tissues! Spare chargers! Fans! Sweaters! Coworkers always came to me when they needed something. In some ways this was a plus — I’m definitely an introvert, and I’m sure I sometimes come off as cold if I’m focused on other stuff (thank you, resting bitchface!) — so this was my own little way of being friendly and approachable. I suppose I subscribe to the idea in the WSJ article — office mom as management style.
I’m curious, ladies — what do you think?
Our daily TPS reports suggest one piece of work-appropriate attire in a range of prices.
Ooooh: purty. I like the seamed panels and texture on this black Tory Burch dress, as well as the ladylike length and neckline. What a great example of a fit and flare dress! (Click here for our last roundup.) It’s $450 at Nordstrom, sizes XS-L. Tory Burch ‘Beasley’ Fit & Flare Dress
Seen a great piece you’d like to recommend? Please e-mail [email protected]
Another deal alert (’tis the season, I guess): Bare Necessities has a great sale on some of my favorite brands like Fantasie, Freya, Panache, Le Mystere — 40% off plus an extra 15% off with code EXTRA15. Also, panties starting at $6.99. (Here was our last discussion on the best lingerie brands and styles — readers, any favorites in the sale today?)
Ann Taylor is having a flash sale, offering an extra 70% off sale items with FLASH70 … until midnight. Tomorrow, it’s an extra 65% off until noon (code FLASH65), and then until midnight tomorrow, it’s an extra 60% off (code FLASH60). Tons of inventory, and only some of it is final sale. Lots of sizes, too… happy shopping, ladies!
I’m back on the hunt for some comfortable moto leggings that hold their shape, and was happy to see the Hue brand marked down to $35 — perfect for a trend piece that I’ve seen for as much as $1000 elsewhere. The blue is sold out, but the black is still available in all sizes online — hooray! Happy Friday, ladies. Hue ‘Moto’ Denim Leggings (Online Only)
P.S.: please note that you can earn triple points at Nordstrom through 9/21.
P.P.S. Here’s a plus-size option.