I nearly included this $48 sweater in our cashmere sweater roundup because, while it is NOT cashmere, it is one of the softest sweaters I’ve ever had. I can’t give a full report yet because I haven’t washed it (do note that the instructions are “hand wash cold” — not what I expected from something described as fleece), and I’ve only worn it a few times. Still, it’s so, so soft that I have to fight the urge to wear it all the time. I’d say it runs a bit big (although I’m 5’4″ and maybe should have gotten the petite), is long enough to wear with skinny jeans, and is my new favorite. There are a ton of sizes and colors at Nordstrom, where it’s available for $48. Gibson ‘Yummy Fleece’ High/Low V-Neck Pullover
- Refinery29 suggests several products for wintertime dry, itchy skin.
- Racked gives you a guide for throwing out makeup products past their prime, and PopSugar Smart Living has a reference list for how often to wash certain clothing items.
- Mashable offers advice for talking to your boss about not being happy at work.
- The Washington Post reports on a new study showing that men get turned down more often than women when asking for flexible work arrangements.
- The Atlantic examines a new study on the gender wage gap, and The Chicago Tribune reports on a survey showing that most people don’t think there is one at their employer.
- New York magazine’s Science of Us looks at the relationship between introversion and “covert narcissism.”
- Above the Law reports on a new study about lawyers and drinking.
- For your Laugh of the Week (which you might need after a couple of the above links!), The Onion has a story on yesterday’s debate.
On CorporetteMoms Recently…
- We talked about arranging child care for winter break, like school break camps.
- Kat shared some clothes for working moms, including some maternity basics and washable office clothes.
The Nordstrom Winter Clearance Sale is on, and there are so many great finds… I’ve made a few general notes as well as a few specific picks, below:
- Hugo Boss – prices are 40-50% off; sale prices for pants are generally under $135
- Classiques Entier – lots of dresses under $135
- Tahari sale – lots of coats and dresses, regular and plus sizes
- Ivanka Trump – lots of nice dresses, shoes, and bags
- Stuart Weitzman – nice selection of boots and heels on sale, including their new bestselling heel (40% off, 5 colors, huzzah!)
- AGL – tons of shoes newly marked down 40%, from flats to low heels to some sleek high heels
- Kate Spade – tons of jewelry, lots of nice bags as well
- Tons of markdowns on luxe tights from Falke and Wolford
A few quick picks for workwear are pictured below — ladies, have you bought anything yet? What do you have your eye on at the sale?
If you’re on the hunt for an elevated tee (machine washable to boot), consider this Vince Camuto top, which comes in five colors. I like the simple colors and the bit of fitted detail on the otherwise fluid fabric. (If you prefer something more body conscious, don’t forget this pleated Vince Camuto V-neck, a popular top that’s been around for years at this point.) The pictured top is $54. Vince Camuto Side Pleat Asymmetrical Top
It’s also available in plus sizes.
P.S. The Nordstrom winter clearance sale has started! You can save up to 40% off select styles through Feb. 21. Stay tuned…
Seen a great piece you’d like to recommend? Please e-mail [email protected]
I’ve written before about my love of the light beige watch — and with a slogan like “eat cake for breakfast” emblazoned across the face, this is clearly a watch I can get behind. (I also love this navy/rose gold watch that has a little martini glass instead of a 5.) The watch was $195, but is now marked to $175. Kate Spade New York ‘Metro – Eat Cake’ Leather Strap Watch, 34mm
Ladies, what are your thoughts on dating at work? Have you ever dated a coworker? What do you think are the rules for dating officemates? With Valentine’s Day coming up, I thought we’d have a nice open thread about the pros and cons of dating at the office. (For those of you already happily coupled, let’s hear how you met, whether at the office or beyond!)
For my $.02: I never dated a coworker, although I had crushes on a few of them over the years — at the time I was very worried about being viewed as someone who saw the office as a dating pool. Looking back, this was probably silly — in Big Law so many people churn through the lower ranks it’s almost like another grad school, and there are always more people to work with if a relationship ends poorly. Indeed, I know several happily married couples who met as coworkers at BigLaw — although all of them kept it a secret, even from good friends, until the relationship was pretty serious. (In fact, a number of readers noted in our last open thread about dating at the office that they had dated at work, and discretion was the name of the game, as well as paying attention to the “don’t date assholes” rule that, you know, is a pretty good one for dating in general. I also agree with the other little rule that readers noted in that thread, though: Summer associates or interns should not date at the office.)
As for how I met my husband — I went through a phase where, fighting my introverted ways, I said “yes” to pretty much any activity that would take me out of the house. For about a year and a half I went to political fundraisers, soccer games, and trivia nights — and I also joined museum groups like the Young Lions (at the New York Public Library) and the American Museum of Natural History’s Junior Council. And just when I was about to give up my little “dating project,” I met my husband. We met at a friend-of-a-friend’s birthday party in a bar on the Lower East Side; Mr. G also did not know the birthday girl well and in fact had to be dragged to the party (by our future best man!). Our circles really didn’t intersect at all, so it’s really lucky that fate took us both to that party.
All right, ladies, over to you — have you dated at the office? Share your stories (and your rules)! If you’re happily coupled, how did you meet your partner, whether at work or beyond?