Readers have a zillion great conversations on the blog. You can always search the site (comments are searchable), but some of the ones we’ve featured in our sidebar include the ones below. (Curious for more mom-related content? Check out the Threadjacks of Interest page at our sister site, CorporetteMoms!)
The Very Latest Threadjacks of Interest
- Favorite comfy pants for an overnight plane ride?
- I’ve got a nasty case of tech neck…
- What’s a good place for a relaxing solo escape?
- What’s the best commuter backpack?
- I’m early 40s and worry my career arc is ending…
- I canNOT figure out the proportions in this current season of fashion…
- How is everyone wearing scarves in 2023?
- What shoes are people wearing to work between boot and sandal season?
- What’s a good place for a relaxing solo escape?
- What are some of your go-to outfits that feel current?
- I need more activities that are social, easy to learn and don’t involve extreme running/jumping/etc.
The Latest Travel Discussions
- Greece for a milestone trip with DH, son, daughter, and son in law
- Vermont or New Hampshire for a friends’ getaway in mid-August
- Afternoon tea recommendations in London?
- Help me plan a European vacation for my family and kids 9 and 13
March and April 2023
- What are your favorite parts of a typical day?
- At what point in your life (age, income level, whatever) were you able to take an annual vacation?
- What shoes can I keep at the office to go for mid-day walks (that go with everything)?
- How do you release stress or trauma that’s stored in the body?
- What are the best “networking for women events” you’ve ever been to?
- I feel like we’re burning through any savings we acquire…
- I hate my job and make 30% of what DH makes – should I quit?
- What do you keep in your office?
- If you travel for work, how often can you get away with wearing the same basic suit on the same trip?
- Can you live life “as carefree and joyfully as you did in 2019 before the pandemic”?
- What positive habits have you added to your life?
- Should I marry a man who is older than me by 17 years? (I’m 35, he’s 52.)
- I dream of having a non-desk job…
- Should I cut my childcare down to 12 hours a month if I work from home?
- Any specific recs for a CBD for sleep?
- If you’re in-house counsel, how many hours a week do you think you are actually working?
- If you’ve changed your last name, did you make an announcement on LinkedIn?
- I need to step up my work clothes – what are websites that are a little less popular than mass market stores?
- What are good trainings or podcasts on working with difficult people?
- What are fantasy business ideas that seem easy, lucrative, and fun?
- What should I put in the hotel welcome bags for out of town wedding guests?
- Are high wedges in again?
- Can we please talk about whether you’re using hormone replacement (HRT) for perimenopause or menopause?
- Let’s talk about our favorite rom-com movies…
- What style shoes are you all wearing with midi length/knee length skirts and dresses these days to work in a business casual office?
- How should I go gray? I’m 42.
- Are salon-brand shampoo and conditioner that much better?
- Anyone here NOT end up with the “love of their life” and live to tell the tale?
- What should I bring with me on a six-week business trip?
- I screwed up badly on a webinar presentation for a major client – is there anything I can do to recover?
- Are people wearing jogger-type work pants to work anymore?
- What low-energy things can my DH and I do after work other than TV and doomscrolling?
- What are good hobbies, classes, or groups to meet men in?
- Do I need a button down white shirt with a suit for a law school interview, or is a neutral blouse OK?
- Can we talk about this AAM post where a woman asks if her employer can make her wear a bra?
- Has anyone left Big Law or similar job and regretted it?
- What advice are you dying to give — but no one has asked?
- Advice we’ve gotten from unusual sources…
- Would you rather marry a rich person, or someone you have a deep and emotional connection with
- I drank too much at family Thanksgiving and need to work out my redemption tour for Christmas
- What did everyone buy on Black Friday/Cyber Monday?
- I’m wondering what kind of paid work to do in retirement…
- Share your secrets with me if you’ve gotten a fully remote job recently…
- I divorced my husband for reasons other than abuse/infidelity – how long until my kids stop hating me?
- Are you expected to work on vacation?
- Which athleisure pants can pass for real pants at work?
- Do you wear loafers with socks? I can’t figure them out as winter shoes without feeling like I’m impersonating my dad.
- I’m bummed my extended family no longer does family holidays with my family…
- I use wine to go to sleep – how can I cut back?
- Moms of older kids: did you find more time for yourself at a certain point?
- I’m wondering what kind of paid work to do in retirement…
- What things are you looking forward to right now?
- What type of volunteer work do you do — and do you enjoy it?
- I’m resigned to spending good money on a home office chair — what worked for you, and what didn’t?
- I don’t want to go to my SIL’s baby shower — what life events do you consider mandatory?
- I’m trans and job-hunting – any tips for finding work cultures that don’t hate me?
- What are your favorite things?
- How can I give up coffee?
- I need tips on how college admissions really works!
- I WFH in an apartment and my neighbor’s baby is driving me nuts…
- Talk to me about having your colors done…
- I’m 27 and worry my life is in easy mode — is this all there is to life?
- A female friend of my boyfriend’s is visiting the city – is it OK to ask that she stays somewhere other than his 1-bedroom?
- I drank too much at family Thanksgiving and need to work out my redemption tour for Christmas
- What did everyone buy on Black Friday/Cyber Monday?
- How can I work on my fear of flying?
- How are we wearing jeans to work these days?
- Has anyone on this board downshifted their career and regretted it?
- What shoes are we wearing to work these days?
- What is your go-to t-shirt to wear under a blazer?
- Where can I buy a Rolex watch for myself (or similar)?
- I’m an extrovert and officially hate hybrid/WFH – how can I be more satisfied with my job (or find a new one) if I enjoy in-office work?
- do I need serious interests and hobbies to be taken seriously at work?
- my partner and I are struggling with the decision of whether or not to have kids
- I just got laid off — do I have to start applying today if I have 3-4 months of expenses in my emergency fund?
- I’m the manager of a 50-person team, and I’m getting complaints that two team leaders are having an affair and making people uncomfortable – how should I respond?
- If you’re content where you are in your career and don’t want to advance — can you share why?
- What are some things that make you feel like you’re getting a super-rich life experience for cheap?
- How to quit after maternity leave?
- What are some of the “extras” you do at your job that you don’t get pay or recognition for?
- I am all of a sudden super interested in looking well put together and maybe even trendy/stylish. I have no idea where to start for what’s in and appropriate for my age and body (size 10). Where should I turn for inspiration?
- What are your best tips on building your book of business?
- I need a work shoe to wear with dress pants that is as close to wearing socks and sneakers as possible…
- What are the best career books to give in 2022 instead of outdated ones like “Nice Girls Don’t Get the Corner Office”?
- What commuting bag can hold my lunch, workout gear, and laptop?
- Updates from two previous posters about a passport and honeymoon, and her SIL attending the wedding when her husband didn’t want anyone to attend…
- A law student asks: how do you pick a BigLaw firm?
- How can I stop a panic spiral in the moment?
- How should I deal with hair shedding?
- What are your best tips on how to find a great PCP?
- How important to you is it to have great conversations with your partner?
- What are your best tips for aging well?
- Talk to me about judicial robes…
- If you have a $200K income, how much do you spend on travel each year?
- What are the best forgiving in the waistband/stretchy-ish work pants?
- Please share your best tips for after a layoff…
- How can I stop a panic spiral moments?
– what should I do in Miami if I’m not a party person?
– I struggle with having work still undone work, even on weekends – do you have any tips?
– How do you keep track of to-dos and lists if you’re not at your desk 40 hours a week?
– I’m 43 and feel like so many doors are closed to me now…
– I need 2-3 light blouses or sweaters for fall – where should I look?
– What color blazers are the most versatile, other than black?
– How did you decide whether or not to have kids?
– What are your favorite loafers for work?
– Opinions on virtual baby showers that just collect gift money?
– I gave notice and my work has dried up — what should I do with my time?
– Would you wear clothing with silver in it to work?
– What should I wear to a casual MBB recruiting event?
– I’m working for someone I can’t stand.
– I’ve apparently become too senior in title for the age that I look.
– Team Backpack or Team Tote Bag?
– Should I invest in my career or “invest” in my loved ones?
– Are tie-waist dresses appropriate for conservative offices in 2022?
– I thought my long-term boyfriend would propose at dinner in Paris, but he didn’t…
– Are jeans too informal for a “casual attire” summer event?
– I need advice on how to be more adventurous with my outfits.
– Any tips on dealing with serious work-related anxiety?
– How soon is too soon to leave after a promotion?
– Thoughts on “maternity leave” vs. “parental leave”?
– Where can I find a Chanel-like jacket to wear over a dress?
– I’m looking for the Holy Grail of laptop totes.
– What should I wear as a summer associate/clerk?
– I’m a divorce lawyer — here’s what I wish all my clients did.
– Help, I have no idea what to wear to business casual networking lunches.
– Everyone is quitting because my office went to a hybrid in-office requirement.
– Should I apply for a job I’m not totally qualified for?
– I’m single, 35, no kids, and make over $150K — can I get a Roth IRA? (Should I?)
– I’ve been a caregiver for my elderly parent for 2+ years, and am now considering a bereavement leave from my BigLaw job.
– Have you ever had an alternative work schedule like 4-10 or 9-80?
– My grandboss and I don’t like each other.
– How should I build my work wardrobe for a business-casual office in academia?
– I’m considering getting surgically sterilized — can you share your experiences with it?
– Can I get a primer on nap dresses?
– Any tips for learning corporate speak and executive presence?
– How did you lose (or not lose) weight 1+ year postpartum?
– Does anyone have recommendations for stylish but conservative work dresses if I’m in between sizes?
– Did I do something wrong in this conversation with my husband?
– If you’re not comfortable with indoor dining, how do you handle it with work situations?
– Anyone experience severe reflux triggered by stress?
– A new hire isn’t adapting to the company culture, at all.
– Just found out I’m having a C-section after three vaginal deliveries.
– If you have an autistic child, which school services have been helpful?
– How can I help with suicide prevention?
– For those of you in very cyclical jobs, do you feel anxiety when anticipating the busy season?
– I need to work on lowering my cholesterol.
– I need to be better about looking for balance in my life.
– I’m having so much trouble focusing in my new WFH job.
– Any tips for managing an employee who keeps missing deadlines?
– How do I tackle a conversation about “gardening” frequency with my boyfriend?
– Any tips on little things I can do when it all just feels like too much?
– I haven’t been able to fall asleep before 4 a.m. for weeks.
– Do any other WFH people have trouble with basic hygiene during the workweek?
– My career is in the doldrums.
– Am I being unreasonable, or is my assistant truly performing subpar?
– We want to relocate but can’t figure out where.
– Are you allowing contact between your baby and unvaccinated kids?
– When referring to your job title, do you say “the” before it?
– Advice for navigating a private home sale?
– I am so over trying to navigate different comfort levels associated with COVID.
– My husband is in a highly toxic work environment.
– What are your favorite holiday traditions?
– What are your favorite comfortable, warm outfits for WFH video calls?
– Please help me budget for being a wedding guest!
– I’m having an issue with a parent on my kid’s soccer team.
– What should I know before leaving my job for another job?
– Favorite decluttering tricks? I can’t seem to throw things away.
– I’m stopping hormonal birth control and want to track my natural cycle.
– Any advice on what to expect during a VP interview? What should I ask?
– I am considering a move to Austin, TX, for a new job.
– I feel like my voice has suddenly become much hoarser.
– I’m starting a new job and have no idea what to wear on my first day.
– Public service employees: How do you hang in?
– I’ve been asked to give a presentation as part of a job interview.
– I’m looking for advice on setting my hourly rate for a side project.
– Tell me about interviewing, working with, or knowing of any deaf/HoH/blind/speech-impaired coworkers.
– Does anyone have MBA advice?
– Where should I stay for a quick solo trip?
– Does anyone have tips for dealing with a very stubborn child?
– Does anyone feel like even their best is not good enough?
– I find myself yawning when tired during video calls.
– Any good suggestions for learning how to be more accepting and patient of people with different beliefs?
– I’m in a new job and I lowballed myself.
– I’m looking for quick-but-healthy recipes.
– How do I know if my company is tracking me?
– Where do you all find in-house jobs?
– Can I wear sheer black tights with a dress?
– I cried in front of my supervisor over something incredibly minor.
– For those with light eyebrows, how do you groom them from day to day?
– I will be managing two difficult-to-manage employees.
– Thoughts on law school debt with a lower-paying job?
– I can’t get over the fact that my husband cheated, even though he’s changed.
– Looking for ideas on how to proactively encourage my team at a time like this.
– Should planned parental leave influence career development opportunities?
– How do I deal with my anxiety about my job before I can quit?
– Since my daughter was born my texture sensitivity has gotten almost unbearable.
– Migraine people — talk to me about ADA accommodations.
– I am realizing that my lack of confidence and insecurity is a problem.
– I’m happily married to a man but I’m also attracted to women.
– I’m going to a golf tournament for work. What should I wear?
– Did any of you decide to freeze your eggs?
– My kids’ camp is providing lunch but it’s not what they eat.
– If you had friends/relatives who were identical twins, how did you tell them apart?
– Getting myself and my kid ready in the morning is exhausting.
– What are your favorite ways to look busy when you don’t have much to do at work?
– My boss is letting me try my hand at project management.
– Ideas for lunch that don’t have sandwich meat or sun butter, are nut-free, and do not need microwaving?
– I’ve realized I don’t have a lot of friends, and it’s making me sad.
– I am looking for effective masks that won’t look too “medical.”
– Would you move to a city you don’t particularly like for a job you love?
– Has anyone left a high-paying job as you were nearing the most lucrative years?
– I am so burned out, and I can’t wait for the summer program to be over.
– Fellow performers, any tips for managing stage fright?
– Do you talk about money with your friends?
– My elderly dad is depressed and takes it out on my mom.
– I snack way too much throughout the day.
– I need to improve my morning routine.
– I’m daydreaming about going back to a non-managerial role.
– What should I buy myself for my milestone birthday?
– I’ve only consistently lost weight when I exercise regularly.
– Anyone have a a rec for daily face sunscreen?
– Did you change jobs and weren’t able to bring your clients with you?
– Have you ever given your boss an ultimatum?
– I need a wardrobe refresh for spring and summer.
– How do you feel when someone says your name repeatedly while arguing?
– I’m struggling with my feelings about food and weight gain.
– Looking for any advice on being at a career crossroads.
– I have mixed feelings about my new job.
– I need advice or stories on how to lean out.
– How many of you go with a print vs. solid for a swimsuit?
– I have full cleavage when wearing a bra no matter what I buy.
– Recommendations for sunscreen with safe ingredients?
– What is your go-to body-confident affirmation?
– What are your easy/quick, healthy, packable meals?
– How would you break up a ~12-hour drive with young kids?
– Feds in the DMV: Is it easy to get into one of the affiliated daycares?
– What are your tips for people in the “sandwich generation”?
– Someone not doing her job has prevented me from doing mine.
– What makes an area feel “unsafe” for you?
– Looking for resources about how sexist language in the workplace is part of structural misogyny.
– Anyone ever get totally blocked on a single task for work?
– Do you think it has gotten harder to be a woman attorney?
– My 13-year-old wants a new dress to wear to a virtual bat mitzvah.
– Should I stick with skinny jeans?
– Does anyone have tips re out-of-control procrastination?
– Any recommendations for a cost of living adjuster?
– I need tips on being assertive when angry and not getting so frustrated I cry.
– Things are starting to catastrophically fail with WFH in my organization.
– How do you feel about “you guys” in work meetings?
– I am pregnant and can’t work this many hours anymore.
– I think my staffer is gonna quit and I’m screwed.
– I’d like to open a brokerage account for each of my kids.
– How have you been successful in setting boundaries from work?
– Do you prefer Slack or email?
– Have you found that your skills are a better fit with certain types of organizations?
– I need advice about a job offer.
– How can I nail it in my final interview?
– I get restless after about 1.5 years in a role.
– I need suggestions for hearty, easy, healthy-ish meals.
– How do I bring up salary early in the application process?
– What system/program/app do you use to keep track of what you delegate to others?
– Any advice for starting a new job remotely?
– I told my employer I’m not comfortable traveling internationally now.
– What are your favorite mushroom-less vegetarian recipes?
– Have any of you been diagnosed with ADHD as an adult?
– Please give me your podcast recommendations.
– I need to cut down on scrolling on my phone and increase my reading.
– My assistant left behind a giant disaster behind.
– What meditation apps do you like?
– Should I buy and start building up equity or keep renting and saving cash?
– My body image has been on a downward spiral over the past few months.
– I’m struggling at my job and considering leaving.
– How do you deal with a mismatch in leisure time needs between spouses?
– How do I break this cycle of unmotivated days?
– Short-waisted people: Where do you get your dresses and jackets?
– I used to work all the time; now I’m slowing down significantly.
– How can I plan my time off at home?
– Tell me your stories about successfully reinventing your job.
– I need winter shoes.
– Do you consider yourself intellectual?
– What is your best advice for managing up?
– I’d like to use this locked-down winter to learn some things.
– My relationship with my assistant has severely degraded recently.
– When you make a minor mistake at work or say something stupid in a meeting, what do you do?
– I find myself suddenly outfit-claustrophobic.
– I keep making mistakes at work and forgetting things.
– What do you do after work these days?
– What did you do in lockdown round one that worked for you?
– How can I help my stressed-out spouse?
– Talk some sense into me as I’m about to quit my job.
– Should I let my friend know that her resume needs revising?
– I think I am dangerously close to alcoholism.
– An acquaintance from my office building asked me to hang out.
– I just turned 40 and am struggling to feel excited about next year.
– Any tips for making it work in a toxic workplace?
– Does anyone have any ideas for low-cost virtual social events?
– What Christmas couples’ traditions could we start?
– I need a gift idea for an employee.
– I need Christmas dinner ideas.
– What can I do before bed to tell my body to calm down overnight?
– Has anyone lived with their in-laws in a separate unit of their home?
– Home is no longer a sanctuary because I am here ALL THE TIME.
– My last employer has received a very bad write-up in the trade press.
– How are you deciding whether to send kids back to school?
– How do you increase motivation and responsibility in an elementary school kid?
– How are you keeping your mind occupied on anything other than the pandemic/election/etc.?
– We’re all just staying home this winter, right?
– Does anyone have corporate gifts they recommend?
– My law firm culture is suffering from not seeing people for several months.
– Any ideas for safe outdoor socializing this winter?
– Being single is expensive and time-consuming!
– If you’re in consulting (esp. MBB/Big 4), what is your work life like?
– I need to get on the right track with saving, investing, etc.
– I need advice on whether to take this new job.
– What stage of your life do you miss the most?
– Should I avoid divorce because of my son?
– What should you do when someone close to you is depressed?
– Looking for book suggestions for my SIL.
– Any tips to stay sleeping on my back?
– What are you considering to protect your property rights if SCOTUS turns 6-3?
– What did you wish you knew as a junior attorney?
– Anyone with health anxiety or partners with health anxiety?
– I want to create a good home office setup.
– How do you deal with physical manifestations of stress when you can’t avoid the stress?
– My boyfriend and I recently broke up, and I’m struggling.
– I’m struggling to offload responsibilities I used to handle as an associate.
– How do you become more confident in correcting someone?
– How do you organize your books?
– I need some sort of black dress to wear under blazers.
– What should I buy as a present for a canceled wedding?
– I’m struggling to figure out what I’m doing with my life.
– How do I fix myself and be a better partner right now?
– What is your go-to when you really need to unplug?
– If you have someone in your life with anxiety, how do you handle it?
– How long would you wait after starting a new job until TTC?
– I can’t seem to get out of this volunteer commitment.
– Any advice for explaining “no charged” hours with my billing diaries?
– How can I ask COVID-related questions while job-hunting?
– When is it appropriate to sign up for daycare?
– Do you think remote work is here to stay?
– We want to move from our small, urban rowhome to somewhere with more space.
– I’m taking a new job but want to receive my annual bonus.
– When should you refinance a mortgage?
– Is this worth a consult with an employment lawyer?
– I think I’m developing an eating disorder.
– I need some advice on a job search plan.
– I’ve significantly mellowed out over the years, to my detriment.
– WFH has made me realize how dirty we’ve let our home get.
– My boss insists on conference calls that we’re all “depressed working at home.”
– Here’s a PSA for anyone looking for plain/casual WFH t-shirts.
– My office isn’t doing much to prevent coronavirus.
– What should a compensation package look like for this position?
– What makes an outfit more polished?
– Should I report my employer for violating reopening regulations?
– I’m worried about my daughter going to college during the pandemic.
– Anyone else get mental blocks about particular tasks for no reason?
– I’m managing projects in areas I have no experience in.
– My friend is judging me for not social distancing.
– Please tell me dating is better outside of NYC.
– Anyone else have a fantasy of “normalcy”?
– I have hit the quarantine wall.
– Anyone selling more of their investments these days?
– My office has “reopened” and it sucks.
– Should you take 0% financing if you can pay in full?
– I’m dealing with two potential job offers.
– My husband is having work issues. What should I say?
– I’m in a role where I inherited and manage some messy situations.
– I’m wondering about checking accounts vs. savings.
– My office is having webinars about reentry and what it looks like.
– How do I get started with bike commuting?
– How do you deal with your parents if they do whatever they like during the pandemic?
– I’m divorcing my husband and I’m the breadwinner.
– My boss complained about my overtime.
– I’m pregnant — how can I set “unreachable” times for work?
– Does anyone have suggestions for WFH clothes, particularly pants?
– How is your workplace dealing with employees exposed to COVID-19?
– My Biglaw firm isn’t closing their offices.
– How is everyone handling increased demands right now?
– My partner said I can’t move in with him right now.
– How do you deal with a senior associate who dislikes you?
– I decided to go off birth control and see if my body regulates.
– Is it going to be bad to explain a COVID-related resume gap?
– My heart races and I get shaky when I open emails from my boss.
– I need resources for female CFOS and new CFOs.
– I took a quiz to find out my Myers-Briggs personality type.
– I’ve never been let go before and I have no idea what to do next.
– I’m assuming I should hold off on TTC.
– My voice sounds really nasal and lacks intonation on the phone.
– I’m in BigLaw and wondering how to manage up.
– I’m wondering whether I should delay TTC.
– I’m finding it so hard to get work done.
– Is anybody else considering BIG changes when this is over?
– How do I make working from home more ergonomic?
– I’m terrified there won’t be any food at our stores.
– I am really struggling with working from home.
– My job makes me feel like I need to jump ship ASAP.
– I’m not cut out for working from home, particularly with kids.
– My firm is busier than ever — and I’m not OK.
– The discussions yesterday about law firm layoffs have me really worried.
– I NEED a break from work, but don’t want to staycation.
– What should I bring from the office to work from home?
– My boss doesn’t like that staff are working from home.
– What are some self-care tips during crazy work periods?
– For those of you in Biglaw, what have your offices said about remote work?
– Teleworking is important to stop the spread of COVID-19, but I’m dreading it.
– I work in an area where there is coronavirus, and I’m not handling it well.
– Should my family move to the Bay Area from our MCOL city?
– How do I fill my time while unemployed?
– I’m the secretary of a nonprofit board, and our chair has dementia.
– How do I handle getting a disappointing bonus?
– Has anyone dealt with a narcissistic or insecure boss?
– I am burned out but can’t quit and don’t want to.
– Meetings are killing my productivity.
– I need advice on dealing with a colleague who always drops the ball.
– I’m eating less meat and finding it hard to eat enough protein.
– How do I handle slightly judge-y pride or self-importance about work?
– I’m exhausted thinking about retirement.
– How do you explain to junior associates that law is not a 9-4:30 gig?
– The managing partner wants a “very frank” exit interview “off the record.”
– Readers in VHCOL/HCOL cities, how do you budget?
– I’m looking for weekend getaway recommendations.
– I dread going to work and cry in my office most days.
– I’m worried about my husband’s feelings being the traveling/supporting spouse.
– I made a minor mistake at work and can’t get past it.
– Should I try to make partner or leave my firm?
– A partner I’m working with is talking inappropriately about a client.
– Should I say something to my friends about their kids?
– How should I handle my aunt’s memory loss and confusion?
– How can I support my husband, who is depressed?
– HR says my raise was in error and I have to pay it back.
– Does anyone work a 9/80 schedule?
– Can I ask for a higher salary if I don’t use the health/dental/FSA?
– Does anyone have advice for resetting your mood?
– Help me learn to deal with my opinionated mom!
– How much of dating and relationships is luck vs. personality?
– How soon after an interview can I make a feedback inquiry?
– Does anyone else hate choosing a health insurance plan?
– I’m having problems with dependent care FSA reimbursement.
– I’m not OK with how gray I am for my age.
– What’s the difference between needing antidepressants and bootstrapping yourself out of it?
– As a scientist, what should I wear for interviews for tenure-track positions?
– What number should I give during salary negotiations?
– I work in a very male-dominated and conservative field.
– My coworkers made off-color jokes about witnesses and opposing counsel.
– How should I approach a second interview?
– How should I email this client about a non-work topic?
– How do I help someone with severe morning sickness?
– What holiday bonuses should I give my employees?
– Where do you shop for “corporate” gifts?
– How should my SO and I discuss sharing expenses?
– How can I support a father who’s depressed and an alcoholic?
– How do I negotiate maternity leave as a new employee?
– My firm has high turnover.
– How did you transition from law to writing?
– How do you budget if you’re not big on strict budgeting?
– Does anyone here go to work without makeup?
– What are high-paying jobs that don’t require a lot of experience?
– When I’m worn out, I start losing my words.
– People ask me, “What are you going to do when your boss terms out?”
– How do I ask friends and colleagues for help finding a job?
– Are social clubs beneficial for professional development?
– A devastating performance review completely caught me by surprise.
– My team hired someone with less experience at a higher salary.
– I got fired via phone because of client complaints.
– How should I handle 401k contributions with a big bonus?
– Are there basic flash card apps for language learning?
– I’m really anxious about moving and changing jobs.
– A senior associate claims my ideas as hers.
– I am sick of the office kitchenette being disgusting.
– My boss severely micromanages everyone.
– Tips for business development while overwhelmed with billable work?
– My awesome secretary has been written up for BS reasons.
– Advice on whether to stay in Biglaw or go in house?
– People here work from home whenever they want/need to.
– I’d like tips about taking extended medical leave.
– Is this a common phase of the fed-up female’s midlife crisis?
– Should I start job-hunting after four months in my job?
– If you’re 35+ and single, how do you spend your weekends?
– I’m giving notice today, but my boss will react badly.
– My firm has a retirement/messaging problem.
– I seem to get bored/impatient with a job after 2-3 years.
– Know of any part-time remote legal work?
– I am reluctant to list my current supervisor as a reference.
– I’ve become someone who complains a lot.
– Do you do chores before work?
– How do I say goodbye to coworkers who are leaving?
– Why should people join service or professional organizations?
– How do you avoid having your life revolve around your kids?
– How have you handled managing more experienced reports?
– I need to organize school papers, etc.
– My coworker is being nosy about my schedule.
– My coworker is planning a badly-timed birthday party.
– What do you do when you hate your job but can’t quit?
– My replacement-to-be is not performing well.
– My boss takes credit for my ideas.
– I’m stuck doing interviews with someone I really dislike.
– My boss is rude and demanding and disrespectful.
– Do most professional men wear black dress pants?
– How do you cope with an extreme busy season?
– Would love comments on this job offer!
– Any recommendations for books, podcasts, or articles about assessing risk?
– With the fed rate drop, are you refinancing?
– Does anyone have family that is very rigid and judgmental?
– Has anyone switched their practice area while pretty senior?
– A supervisor called me at home and yelled at me.
– How do you plan for the last 20 years of life if you don’t want kids?
– I need a new checklist app.
– Does your organization have different maternity policies for employee groups?
– I keep comparing myself to a coworker.
– How should I try to get this federal job?
– How do you make it clear that you don’t work weekends?
– How do you get through slow periods at work?
– My stress is starting to show at work.
– Are you friends with your female colleagues?
– Turning 40 is bothering me.
– I keep getting assigned work due while I’m on vacation.
– My salary will be reduced by about 25%.
– Has anyone done a major relocation?
– What work-appropriate fashion blogs do you follow?
– I need to tell a senior partner I’ll turn in a project late.
– Are you worried about your student loan debt?
– What are some of your favorite teambuilding activities?
– I am a woman in my late 50s and feel invisible at work.
– Would you ever paint your nails in the office?
– Married folks – how do you split finances?
– My client sexually harassed me.
– I want to switch to a backpack for commuting.
– How do you get out of a slump?
– I want to use my phone less.
– Should I negotiate salary for this offer?
– Should employers allow working from home during a heat wave?
– Any advice for conducting an out-of-state job search?
– What are your favorite office gadgets/knickknacks?
– I need ideas for gifts for members of my team.
– I’m having to fake being productive 8+ hours a day.
– What are your hobbies?
– My office has gone jeans casual for the summer.
– I found out my boyfriend was cheating on me.
– I’m taking my first solo trip this summer.
– My coworkers are being insensitive about an employee’s suicide.
– Speeding/parking tickets and a run for office.
– What is your summer work wardrobe?
– How do you stay warm in office A/C?
– If you went from Biglaw to in-house, how did you find your job?
– Tell me how couples with kids deal with time for hobbies.
– I’m used to wearing jeans — what should I wear for this interview?
– What habits have made a big impact on your daily life?
– Can’t you share your hobbies with your kids?
– Is it okay to not wear a bra at work?
– I need advice for my first day of a new job.
– Do I leave something that’s pretty good for something that could be great?
– My attorney spouse is deciding between two opportunities.
– I hate my job. I hate most people here too.
– We’re having problems with a very angry ex-employee.
– My company hired a belligerent conman as a senior exec.
– I need advice on planning a work baby shower.
– Does Skype couples’ therapy exist?
– If you graduated during the recession, how is your career?
– I’m looking for parenting podcasts.
– How do I tell my husband about this surprise pregnancy?
– What’s wrong with having opinions about appearances of people you date?
– Help me dress better with “smart casual” at my new job.
– Parents: How does restricting screen time help?
– My manager can’t seem to decide anything.
– How do I decline a work goodbye lunch?
– Will the “nail art” trend ever die?
– I don’t know whether I want to make partner.
– Parents: Do you have a favorite child?
– I need tips for having an important talk with my spouse.
– I feel SO out of place at some social events.
– I have trouble talking with untalkative people.
– How can I be less judgy?
– I want kids; my boyfriend doesn’t.
– How do you and your SO handle finances?
– Do you tell colleagues when you say nice things about them to their superiors?
– How can I make company polos not hideous?
– I’m required to set my retirement contributions as a percentage of income.
– I’m dating a guy at my friend’s employer.
– I’m trying to figure out what I want for my life.
– I think my boss is dealing with mental health issues.
– Should I tell my employer that I’m unhappy?
– I need professional help putting together outfits.
– My unemployed husband was only applying for “stretch” jobs.
– Does anyone feel discouraged about their retirement savings?
– Does anyone follow up on job applications anymore?
– How do you know your career is stagnating?
– Help me think through these job options.
– What are your travel must-haves?
– I am ready to leave my job without anything lined up.
– In-house lawyers: Do I need to change outside counsel or my expectations?
– Tips for dealing with post-illness brain fog?
– Transfer to satellite office or apply elsewhere?
– How should exempt workers handle their schedules?
– Am I overreacting about partners’ handwritten edits?
– Should I disclose my migraines to coworkers?
– What kinds of volunteer work do you do?
– I feel demoralized at work and want to move on.
– How long should I wait post-promotion for a vacation?
– My new employee always stops by to chat.
– Many of my “friends” look down on me for leaving biglaw.
– I’m an underemployed in-house attorney.
– Share your Lent ideas.
– Starting a new job with a bear of a commute soon.
– What are your best interview tips?
– How do you avoid developing confusing accents?
– How often do you wear a traditional suit?
– My abusive ex is my opposing counsel.
– How do you not sound too “nice” in written work?
– I just made partner and I’m burned out.
– How do I ask partners for more work?
– How many of you get migraines?
– Should I bid on proposals if I’m leaving?
– My husband needs better boundaries with work.
– Does anyone else not work a lot?
– Offer me your simple wedding advice.
– How much blame do you put on the “other woman/man”?
– I desperately want to find a good guy.
– What to consider with a new job or a promotion?
– Have you used FMLA for depression/anxiety?
– What little things bring you joy at work?
– I feel like everyone thinks I’m ugly, awkward, and stupid.
– Do you believe in the concept of a dream job?
– What’s it like in Jackson, MS?
– I’ve been having intrusive thoughts.
– Advice on low-key anger management?
– I hate preparing work lunches.
– How do you list job titles on your resume?
– How can I support a spouse with anxiety and depression?
– Managers, any thoughts on managing across?
– How would both parents working an 80% schedule work?
– What helps when you’re feeling mildly depressed?
– What diversity initiatives are good for a law firm?
– I have to bring my kids to a conference.
– I need maternity clothes in cusp sizes.
– What should I wear for a casual dress code?
– Would short-term disability cover maternity leave?
– I’m thinking of having an affair.
– My coworker gave a project to someone else.
– How much should I put in an HSA?
– I have a great salary/benefits but my job isn’t fulfilling.
– I’m baffled by decisions made by the leadership team.
– Tips on dressing for big, cold cities?
– I need tote bag recommendations.
– What chores do your kids do?
– While I wait for a new job, I’m considering part time.
– My SO has a lot of debt.
– I got a new job but I’m sad about leaving.
– Should I continue part-time consulting?
– My new job will involve a lot of travel.
– With post-work, active hobbies, when do you eat dinner?
– How can I track New Year’s resolutions during the year?
– How to split travel costs with family?
– What to wear for a final-round interview at a small nonprofit?
– How can I make up for a bad first impression at work?
– I’m kicking myself for not taking today off.
– What work retreat activities are most valuable?
– Advice about not letting field sales reps finish 2 weeks and “walking them out”?
– Good things to do during unplanned time off?
– What are your thoughts on heels vs. flats?
– Tips for first meetings with difficult parents of an SO?
– I need to do a 30-min. career day presentation.
– My friendships are struggling from lack of time spent together.
– A reference told me he can’t recommend me for partnership.
– I’m looking for suggestions for my exit interview.
– How did you pay for your grad degree?
– How can I have more fun without compromising work?
– How long does it take to move on from a layoff?
– How do I lose weight in an office with unlimited snacks?
– How many of you have to work 8-hour days not counting breaks?
– Finding a balance between celebrating Christmas and mourning my FIL?
– Our accountant at work always screws things up.
– I need a concise daily news podcast.
– Advice for expressing unhappiness with late nights?
– How did you meet your spouse?
– How do you plan weekends when you’re dieting?
– I asked for a raise but I’m looking to leave.
– How do you detox from a toxic job before a new one?
– What are your favorite Christmas family traditions?
– Tips for working with a stomach bug?
– I have decision fatigue with what to wear.
– I need advice on giving notice.
– The worst person at my old company is coming to my new one.
– What are your pantry splurges?
– I’m trying to lose 20-25 lbs.
– I’m going from Biglaw to a small, young litigation boutique.
– The nonprofit board I’m on has an odd idea for an ED search.
– What appropriate ring can I wear as a young widow?
– My coworker didn’t do her part of a project.
– Who do you purchase holiday gifts for?
– How much do you spend on food?
– My friend only shows up when she has big news.
– Suggestions for books about people with spending problems?
– My boss edits my writing to make it worse.
– Have you driven for a rideshare company?
– What should I do with boxes full of old memories?
– What’s your current workout routine?
– I need recipe suggestions for a work retreat.
– Used to be a lawyer? What do you do now?
– How do you care for yourself when you’re overwhelmed?
– How do you find out if a job is work-from-home friendly?
– Moving from labor and employment to HR: happy with your decision?
– Suggestions for gifting to important referral sources?
– My commute makes me want to quit.
– My in-laws bully me to be a SAHM.
– I’m trying to get used to a Diva Cup.
– I’m unhappy in my marriage.
– Tips for surviving a long car commute?
– My job has no chance of upward mobility.
– I have a problem with confidence.
– How do you compare salaries for mid-size firms?
– I have to ask my partner to do his chores.
– How do I determine what makeup/hairstyle/clothes work best?
– What budget categories do you use?
– Ideas for a rare chance to be alone?
– What’s your best life hack or habit?
– I have a difficult time concentrating.
– My husband complains about caring for our dog.
– What are winter wardrobe essentials for work?
– Looking for good experiences as a part-time lawyer.
– My company announced a global restructuring.
– What do you do after work when you’re exhausted?
– The guy I’m dating doesn’t compliment my looks.
– I would like to try biking to work.
– How do you wear pants with booties?
– My coworker tells me comments she hears about me.
– How do you know when it’s time to quit a job?
– I recently hooked up with a coworker.
– How do you style cords for a casual office?
– How do I figure what I want?
– I want to go from law to healthcare administration.
– Advice for dealing with a loved one’s alcoholism?
– My husband can’t deal with toddler behavior.
– Talk to me about working from home.
– Computer screens hurt my eyes.
– Favorite everyday eyeshadow palettes?
– Can I interview in a slightly too-tight suit?
– Do I turn down a job to build my speaking business?
– DH has plunged into a bout of depression.
– I’m dating a new guy but we don’t have interesting conversations.
– My partner’s dog is ruining our relationship.
– My friend finds every office to be a bad fit.
– Should I go back to a previous employer?
– How do I adjust to my new job?
– My SO has been calling an old girlfriend.
– Suggestions for a solo beach vacation?
– How do you keep natural nails presentable?
– How important is a full suit for interviews?
– I need a suit for a Very Important Meeting.
– Should I have a separate work cell phone?
– DH needs a more casual wardrobe!
– How do I tell my beloved coworkers I’m quitting?
– Seeking tips for working after kids go to bed.
– BF, a heavy sleeper, and wants me to wake him up.
– I made a big mistake at work.
– Is my work outfit dated?
– How to with someone who ignores deadlines.
– CA and TX law firms vs. NY law firms.
– How do you budget and plan for travel?
– My new legal assistant is not doing a good job.
– Male bicyclists yell at me while trying to pass.
– Is it a huge difference to go from 3 to 4 kids?
– What’s do you spend money on that your parents wouldn’t?
– My colleague is out of the office allll the time.
– I recently started a new job and the adjustment has been hard and kind of draining.
– I’ve hired a college student for 20 hours a week. She is going to do daycare dropoff, but I’m trying to think of other things.
– Does starting a new career at 30+ still give a person plenty of time to climb the ladder and start a family?
– Can I get your best tips for working with legal interns?
– I’m a senior associate in Big Law and frankly, I’m tired.
– I work for a nonprofit organization and I feel they’re making unnecessary demands.
– Would appreciate advice on reaching out to an old friend.
– During a phone interview. I asked if they would be open to working from home 1-2 days a week.
– I’m starting a new job where the dress code is still fairly casual but where jeans are forbidden.
– Recently had my review (law firm) and was told that I am doing well but still need to keep improving my time management.
– If anything knocked you off the career ladder, how did you get back on that horse?
– Someone in my office sent an email full of insane things attributed to me that I would never say.
– How do you do your hair for work?
– I am a C-level executive, and I feel I’m being judged for not being as mature, successful, or professional.
– Any suggestions for how to deal with admins that don’t want to be admins?
– My company’s having an org shift, and I’m getting traded for another employee.
– I was just about to tell my boss I’m quitting when he told me someone else quit.
– Could you share type of workplace and parental leave policy?
– Help me look more sophisticated?
– In a job interview, do you think it’s a decent strategy to admit when you aren’t an expert in something?
– How do you reset your sleep cycle?
– Do you ever get surprised when you see people, esp. work people, in their regular lives?
– For the attorneys: What are your feelings about legal aid?
– I like my job but don’t love my practice area.
– I just feel like lying on the couch and watching TV all day instead of job-hunting.
– I’m currently 11.2 weeks pregnant and deciding when to tell my BigLaw job.
– Any advice on how to pivot after being let go from my job?
– How do I get better at picking out errors in my work?
– I’m replacing a more senior person. My start date is not immediately after his departure.
– I’m going back to a firm that gave me an offer — for a second look. What do I wear?
– Please share your stories of doing multiple big life changes at once!
– What are career options in your field that are less tied to being at your desk and in the office?
– I’m having trouble being productive at work without the sense of urgency of my last job.
– Tomorrow, I need to interview as part of a competition to make my promotion permanent.
– When I find out another friend got engaged, I turn into a mess.
– I’m taking my first section of the CPA exam tomorrow and I’m so nervous!
– I’ve been unhappy at my job since we moved to mostly open office space 6 weeks ago.
– Any tips on rebuilding a friend group (or individuals) once you’re past college age?
– Any advice on looking for remote jobs?
– I’m looking to update my weekend style. Do you have any blogs that you like?
– CPA ladies: What do you do, how much do you make, and how do you like it?
– I’ve accepted a position (Job A) that I’m excited about, but a few days after accepting, I got an offer to interview for Job B at a federal government agency.
– How do you deal with the loss of a pet at work?
– Did you take time off between leaving your current company and starting at a new company?
– We have a coworker who is notorious for stiffing the person picking up a group gift, etc., after promising to pitch in.
– I am having FOMO because it is so lonely working in an office (BigLaw) — and vicarious FOMO for my children.
– I often have to send around those “Hi Staff, Please don’t do X Stupid thing. Thank you, Management” emails.
– I’m a disorganized person who I force into being slightly organized by treating myself like a preschooler.
– I need a script for a pushy mom who thinks that our good fortune should automatically extend to her.
– Anyone have a favorite “to do” list app?
– I have to watch surgical videos this week with the client while they explain what’s going on and I’m REALLY stressed.
– What do you wear to work when it’s hot outside?
– Is access to birth control at risk now that Kennedy has retired?
– What do you do at work when you are bored?
– Any suggestions for dealing with anxiety in the workplace?
–I don’t know when my boss wants my opinion and when he wants me to do things.
– I’m agonizing about a job choice.
– I had a mentor who would tell all woman law students to consider having children in law school.
– My BigLaw office is doing a casual week this week since the holiday falls awkwardly and many people are out.
– Does anyone have tips for taking impromptu headshots that don’t look terrible?
– Does anyone have advice for dealing with insecurity in a new relationship?
– Inexpensive work dress suggestions? My favorite work dress of all time came from Loft a few years back.
– Does anyone have suggestions for fun, lighthearted things I could do when I need a 10-minute distraction to get out of a downward anxiety spiral?
– What is the best advice you could give a first-year law student (and not “don’t go to law school”)?
– Looking for suggestions on how you make paper calendars work in your life when the office runs solely on Outlook.
– DH is working remotely now and has turned into a schlub.
– Any other big law ladies freaking out about when/if other firms will match the salary raises?
– What shoes do people wear for work (with a walk/subway commute) in warm weather rain?
– How to fix feelings of resentment with a partner that doesn’t bring nearly as much as you do to the table?
– Has anyone ever moved to Europe for the medium-to-long term?
– How do you stay motivated in the day-to-day grind?
– How do you verify that an employee is working a full 8 hours if they want to start their day later?
– I need the lowdown on working for a solo practioner.
– I would love a new and more challenging job, but it’s just not the right time.
– I’m moving in-house from Biglaw and I have a 3-month notice period.
– What is the maximum pay cut you’re willing to take in order to pursue your “dream job”?
– How do I keep walking to work without showing up like a sweaty mess?
– I’m looking at making a career change in the next 2.5 years or so from law to CPA.
– Do you regularly nap at work?
– Anyone have solutions to a work environment where poor performance is rewarded and pro-active problem solvers are not?
– I returned to work this week, and it is so so so hard leaving my kids.
– If you are participating in a 5K, half marathon, triathlon, etc., do you expect your SO to come support you?
– I’m being bullied my the partner I work for, back-to-back 100-hour weeks while the rest of the group doesn’t seem as busy.
– I received an extremely unexpected and very generous raise. Script for a thank you note?
– Any tips for keeping work from occupying all of your mental energy?
- Does anyone know if there is a way to take CLE classes online for free?
- What would you do all day if you had little to do at work and were able to work from home?
- Do you think that it’s possible for each partner in a relationship to pursue their careers to the fullest, or does one partner’s career have to cater to the other’s career in the interest of taking care of children?
- I work in a tiny office and sit right beside my boss’s office, so I can hear everything she does. She eats constantly.
- How do I make more working mom friends? My two close friends both recently decided to become SAHMs.
- I regret returning to biglaw and am thinking about applying to litigation boutiques and in-house positions.
- What do you typically bring with you to an internal interview when you work very closely with the interviewers?
- I work at a midsize law firm where everyone signs their letters “very truly yours.”
- I’d love to hear stories about lateraling from one firm to another.
- I really enjoy my current litigation work and very likely would make partner in 5 years if I stay, but the hours are brutal.
- I inherited a gorgeous heart-shaped diamond necklace and the diamond is over 3 carats. Is it tacky to wear it to work?
- How do you get from home to day care to work without getting covered in snot and peanut butter?
- How much does it matter what you wear to interview job candidates?
- When is it too early to change jobs?
- Litigators, can you give me your best tips for dealing with truly awful opposing counsel?
- How sustainable is it to have a job with a fair amount of travel (30-50%) while pregnant and after giving birth?
- What did your parents do really well during your childhood?
- Has anyone successfully asked for a demotion?
- Has anyone had memory problems like this? I forget things/tasks completely.
- How do you keep your holy day and balance it with children’s activities and sports?
- Does anyone have good party themes/ideas to have about 14 work colleagues over to your house for the first time?
- I got pulled into HR this morning to have a very uncomfortable conversation about whether I am being sexually harassed by a coworker.
- My husband is not organized and sometimes works from home. I’d like to figure out a way to corral all his stuff.
- How long did it take you to feel settled into a new job?.
- What do you wear when you think you’ll look frump-tastic regardless?
- I’m struggling to figure out what a good third piece/topper looks like for casual outfits.
- What does this interview question mean: “How do you organize your time, particularly when you have a number of deadlines around the same time?”
- How would you move forward with intern candidates who may not be qualified?
- How do I dress now that my body has been turned upside down throughout and after pregnancy?
- I am considering lateralling from Biglaw to a midsize firm in either Boston or NY.
- What’s your office’s sick leave policy?
- How much did you clean out your office before maternity leave?
- I was given a contingent offer and am being asked for my salary expectations.
- What do you do when drama seems to be overtaking your life?
- Where do high-income working women buy suits?
- What would be your response to someone who insists that it’s necessary to make $500k/year to be “comfortable?
- How do you guys deal with really bad bosses?
- If you needed a job/cash immediately, what would you do?
- I arrived into work late as I had a morning meeting, and yesterday I got an email saying “I notice your time says 7 hours but you came in at 11:40 AM.”
- We have a “winter weather day” in Houston and I’m home with young kids who need constant supervision.
- I need two pairs of dress/work pants (14/16) for everyday workwear.
- Anyone work from home full time?
- I’ve hit it off with a colleague of mine and we have a joking, brother-sister type of relationship.
- Can I ask my coworker to email me when I need something? He pops by my desk frequently.
- When asked in an interview why I’m looking to leave my current job, is it appropriate to say compensation?
- Would you suggest giving advance notice, or waiting until 2 weeks before my leave date aka the day certain client commitments are over?
- My manager accidentally sent me a bonus spreadsheet of a fellow manager.
- What are some fun things your summer program does that we might be able to replicate?
- I have found it hard to motivate myself to study after a long day at work in a fairly switched-on role.
- Does anyone have any book recommendations for how to best manage people?
- Would you have any issues using a male cleaning person?
- I’m applying to a job in another city, and I cannot figure out what to do about references.
- Stable 45 hrs., workload comes and goes, downtime, salary low 6 figs: How does one go about finding one of these jobs?
- Need some serious tips on how to organize my email. I work at a large firm.
- Anyone have lunch ideas for an office that doesn’t have an easily accessible refrigerator or microwave?
- Found out last night that an awful partner in my biglaw firm’s satellite office is going to be fired soon for sexual harassment.
- I am good at my job but do not love it.
- What made you decide to go for partnership and when did you make the decision?
- How do you deal with being the youngest and least experienced on your team?
- My dad has been diagnosed with Parkinson’s. We are looking into support groups and resources.
- Is this a situation that I need to just manage better from an employer perspective, or is it time to start finding a new nanny?
- I have a really big job interview and am so anxious I’ve gotten sick a couple of times.
- Tips on how to speak slower and more deliberately?
- Today, I HATE being a working mom. I know by Monday I’ll feel differently.
- I’ve never done intern interviews before.
- I have an interview coming up and I’m struggling with confidence.
- Curious how many people celebrate Christmas without going to church. And why?
- Any advice for getting through a firm holiday party without drinking?
- How do you all handle job searching over long periods of time?
- If your kids are out of the house now, do you ever regret not being a SAHM when they were younger?
- One of our legal assistants just chewed me out for using “her” table.
- If you could afford it, what would you buy to spoil yourself?
- I’d like to send holiday cards to some of my former colleagues.
- How do I entertain a teenager in Seattle?
- How do your partner and you communicate to dos?
- Any tips for making it through the day on 3 hours sleep?
- My husband mostly works from home. When I get home from work he is READY TO TALK.
- My sister is single and learned that the last egg of her frozen eggs didn’t successfully fertilize.
- My DH is a professor at a fancy school but hasn’t upgraded his wardrobe since grad school. He wears orange Crocs every single day.
- For those of you with weekly or bi-weekly house cleaning services, much do you tip for the holidays?
- Are there things that you do to make yourself a more interesting person?
- I make good $, but my cash burn rate is shockingly high (a lot of which I feel is on basics like mortgage and child care).
- Making adults in cocktail attire leave their shoes at the door? So annoying to me.
- We have kids, and as they get older it just gets harder.
- Has anyone turned a rejection into an offer, either from the same org or at another?
- Advice for dealing with aging parents with no savings or retirement to speak of?
- Would you wear something to your office that your coworkers have made fun of others for wearing?
- I started a new job this year and annual evaluation time is approaching. I successfully negotiated for a higher starting salary, but I’m worried that’s going to be a sticking point related to my performance.
- DH is starting a new work-from-home job and is looking for some help on how to structure his day.
- I’ve been potentially uninvited from Litigation Related Thing. I’m the junior attorney in a two-person department.
- Any tips when talking with someone you supervise who comes off as arrogant?
- Looking for unique and useful holiday gift ideas for my coworkers that cost about $2 or so each.
- My standard gift as a manager has been a bottle of nice wine and a $100 Starbucks or grocery store gift card.
- How do you make really tough decisions?
- I hate doing a bad job at being a mom. I hate doing a bad job at work. I hate that expectations are so unrealistic.
- Don’t use your kids or family problems as a reason to dump all over me, and then shame me for not understanding.
- Any tips for learning how to have better posture when sitting and in daily life?
- Best career advice books?
- Does anyone have any experience with marrying someone from a completely different culture?
- Please share with me your awesome, “I WAS HIRED IN DECEMBER!” stories.
- Does anyone else have problems managing their time at the office?
- What do you do if you feel like your husband’s job is destroying your sanity but he refuses to leave?
- I’m irritated that people can’t be adult enough to send a “I had a nice time but I don’t think we’re compatible” text.
- I cannot ask my husband to do anything without pushback or flat-out refusal.
- I work late and don’t leave until after 11pm. I have a healthy dinner, but I have gotten into a terrible habit of picking up something to eat on the drive home.
- What do you ladies wear to keep warm on top?
- I was just told that I am being offered a new job (internal). I’m pregnant, but it is too early to mention.
- Are your standards higher when evaluating potential online dating matches?
- Were any of you given formal training in law school about interpersonal interactions?
- I am going to have a full life reset shortly –- new job, new city, new apartment — and need new routines.
- I struggle with time management.
- Lately I’ve found myself with a ridiculous amount of ironing to do, but I line-dry many of my clothes so the dryer method doesn’t work for me. Any other tips on transitioning to a no-iron wardrobe?
- Does anyone have advice for what to wear to your first day at a new job?
- How are you solving the balance of chores and/or emotional labor in your household?
- What’s something you haven’t told anyone or wouldn’t tell anyone or haven’t even admitted to yourself?
- My car is dying on me and I have decided it’s finally time for a replacement.
- I’ve been casually dating a guy for a couple of months. He’s great in some ways, but he’s so boring.
- I found out a former student of mine has completely plagiarized a project of mine that she originally worked with me on
- Partner track was never something on our radar. Mental health and family or the grind and prestige that comes with it?
- What do you do when things are going really well?
- What is your go-to bag for carrying to work events?
- What are your methods for preventing blisters?
- How much can you push back on internal customers/clients sending you things last minute?
- I recently started working with a totally unreasonable partner who makes every interaction needlessly unpleasant.
- Any advice on how to live your life and accept the fact that you may not find a partner?
- My husband left the stove on twice in the same week, and now I must check the stove twice before I leave the house.
- Less than 2 months to my wedding, and my future MIL is driving me crazy!
- My sister-in-law (wife of my brother) became acutely and severely psychotic over the weekend.
- My husband and I had planned to start TTC this month. My BFF just told me she’s pregnant.
- I got a major haircut before an interview.
- We are choosing between a house close to family in a quiet area and a house 20 mins. away in a more interesting area.
- What are the pros/cons of being a partner with a guaranteed payment vs. being an employee of the partnership?
- I’m getting pushed out of my firm (2009 grad, lateraled here from another firm). Small market in small city in Midwest.
- My ex is trying to keep my property and has hired a lawyer who sent me a letter claiming that my stuff is actually his.
- We can get a hefty discount on high-quality custom-tailored suiting in Italy — but I am about 3 months postpartum.
- Has anyone read the article “Motherhood Is Not a Woman’s Most Important Job”?
- I’m always so curious about what everyone else uses for skincare!
- I’m catching heck about the school district we live in.
- Here’s my “how can I improve my finances” question.
- I’m 19 months into infertility treatments, and suddenly everyone around me is pregnant.
- Several of my coworkers are on a cleanse/protein-powder-only diet. All they do is talk about it.
- Is there a way to communicate to my biglaw office that my planned “vacation” is a mental health break?
- I am a 3rd-year associate assigned to a new partner from the satellite office. I find him very attractive.
- Is it rude to walk fast in an office?
- I’d like to get some life insurance but not sure where to start.
- Doesn’t anyone do anything semi-spontaneously anymore?
- How do you handle kids selling stuff door to door?
- Today is pay day and there will not be money deposited in my account.
- I’m going to be running for a local office this year in New England.
- My husband is finally willing to enter a dual diagnosis inpatient program to deal with anxiety/alcoholism.
- Any suggestions for professional shoes for a bad back?
- Somehow I survived BigLaw with small children. Now that they are in school, they are hating how they don’t get vacations when their friends do.
- I need recommendations for brightening/concealing the under-eye area.
- We are trying to figure out how best to invest an inheritance (assuming it goes through as planned).
- I’ve applied to multiple places, but how do I go to interviews when I’m traveling Mon.-Thurs.?
- I just read a book (The Obesity Code) that extolled intermittent fasting as a good solution for weight loss.
- So I am loving all of the off-the-shoulder tops I’m seeing, but what kind of bra do you wear with them?
- Getting married in a couple months and fiancé owns our house. I’d like to legally own the house as well.
- I would love to hear the hive’s opinion on pharmaceutical companies.
- What do you say when you’re “naturally thin” (for lack of a better term) and people ask about your diet and exercise routine?
- I need some good, polished-looking flats (or very low heel) shoes for everyday work.
- I asked my bf what the happiest period in his life so far had been. His answer was when he was together with his ex.
- Is it acceptable to apply to multiple job openings at the same company?
- My SO was carefree when we met. It turns out that he has major untreated anxiety.
- Despite being pretty high-functioning 98% of the time, I have a messed-up relationship with alcohol.
- My dad died when I was a teenager, and my mom is narcissistic.
- What are your tips for dining alone while traveling?
- What would you say makes an outfit look “Mumsy” rather than classic?
- Building on the Pence dinner thing, what is your personal rule?
- Are you all of the opinion that your shoes/your walking should not make noise as you “clomp, clomp, clomp” down the carpeted hallway?
- There have been a few good discussions on here lately about whether it’s worth it to have kids.
- My husband has a child from a previous marriage, and I struggle with talking to her.
- Curious about the right way to balance a situation with my husband and new baby. We apparently have very different ideas about when baby requires a response.
- Favorite spring nail polishes?
- Is there any type of jewelry you think is very out of fashion and should be avoided?
- If you had five weeks to do anything, what would you do?
- How do you make yourself stop (online) shopping?
- What are your best tips for phrasing things in a constructive way when you disagree with someone and it’s time to end the conversation?
- I hate when young women don’t realize that the dressing standards are different then school.
- I previously posted about my work situation where my manager just said she will not be pushing to get me promoted. I got the promotion.
- Any suggestions for long podcasts/series I should download to my phone?
- Does anyone really have it together? Is confidence a myth?
- Many years ago, a then-close friend told me I wouldn’t make a good mother.
- What do you recall being the hardest time in your life and how did you get through it?
- Has anyone else had to keep reminding people they’re saving time off for a long trip somewhere?
- I need to email clients letting them know the dates of my maternity leave and the plan for who will be handling their matters.
- How do you end a lifelong friendship?
- I mentioned to my mother that I’ll decide about a PhD. She said, “Who knows, maybe you’ll be in a relationship by then — PhDs are time-consuming, and you may want to focus on getting married.”
- My regular moisturizer is not up for the task of winter.
- My baby is now 5 weeks, and I was hoping my supply would have increased by now.
- I’m going to a wedding in Dallas in May. I’ll be 7 weeks postpartum and breastfeeding.
- I’m aiming to do my part to support female writers, including women of color, and get away from my white-male-dominated bookshelf.
- I’ll be going to grad school. Would it be foolish to take out a loan to keep my place for a few years or should I just suck it up and get roommates/live at or below my means like everyone else?
- I’m clerking and will return to my original big law firm this fall, right around the time we plan to TTC. Is it a mistake to come back and then announce a pregnancy within four or five months?
- Does it make sense to stay at a firm just to take advantage of maternity leave?
- Do you think quitting your full-time job and joining a temp agency, doing their jobs, will be career suicide?
- I need book recommendations for an upcoming beach vacation.
- My BigLaw escape plan was to do a BA-to-RN program.
- This is a crazy rat race! I envy the town of 2,000 where people aren’t going nuts all the time.
- If you could have done one thing differently in your career/personal life, what would it be?
- What does everyone’s skin care routine look like?
- Left biglaw on decent terms, though I personally was bitter about not making partner. I decline most alumni events but agreed to go tonight. Normally I’m fine with this but am just having a hard time.
- I’m finishing my PhD soon. What are the parameters within which I can refer to myself or be referred to as Dr. Lastname?
- How do you turn off your agitated mind to sleep?
- Are manicures necessary to look professional?
- Which rental amenities are must-haves?
- Anyone planning to participate in the general strike on Wednesday?
- Are good fighting habits with a partner something that can be learned?
- I’m once again feeling really compelled to attend law school. I enjoy advocacy but wish I could have more of a direct impact in the courtroom.
- I have been diagnosed with endometriosis though I have no symptoms. Second scan today revealed that my cysts have doubled in size, and so I will go for laparoscopic surgery.
- If your friends invite you to sales parties, how do y’all respond?
- For anyone who’s been through a negative life-changing event, did you find it permanently changed your worldview?
- I had a falling-out situation with a friend that resulted in him disappearing/not talking to me. I just saw yesterday that this person blocked me on social media.
- I’m mentoring a 19-year-old who was sexually abused. She wants to be a speaker about her experience and rising from it.
- How do you handle dinner checks at girls’ night out?
- Currently in BigLaw with working spouse and two school-aged kids. I feel like we are always stressed for time, peace of mind, etc.
- After a year and a half, I no longer trust my partner.
- I have relatively new tenants who have shown themselves to be a little high maintenance.
- My coworker is so nosy. Anybody have similar experiences?
- I’m a bridesmaid for a wedding, and the dress has a very low back.
- I’m on a consulting engagement at a company. One of the employees is out all week because her father died suddenly. Is it appropriate for me to reach out in some way?
- For you coupled ladies, do you feel like you put effort into finding your partner/you were “looking,” or it just “happened”?
- Does anyone else ever worry that their job may be lost to automation someday?
- I know I should send an email/happy new year message to the folks I would like to be my future references, but even that seems overwhelming and intrusive.
- I just started at a new firm and they have Casual Friday including jeans. Any outfit suggestions for this kind of thing?
- An administrative assistant I worked with at one time used me as a reference without asking me first.
- I am about 30 lbs. overweight, gained during a rough year. I can’t fit into any of my lovely clothes!
- Has anyone ever done flex time at a large law firm?
- Fiancé asked his sister yesterday (via text) if her daughter could be a flower girl. She responded: “Fine, but she won’t wear a dress.”
- How do you quit a job?
- I need to decide when to start my maternity leave ASAP and I haven’t even thought about it.
- How much do you save per month BESIDES 401k/IRA/retirement?
- There was a post a few days ago about the upcoming budget and whether federal employees felt secure in their jobs.
- In a new open office environment. I feel like the message is… Do your incredibly demanding and complex job, with someone talking in your ear the entire time.
- Does anyone have any tips or scripts for suggesting therapy to your partner?
- I’ve been having problems with stress and anxiety for the past few months.
- I have a stepchild who really wants to pursue medicine and will be entering college soon. I am trying to lobby for State U for undergrad.
- Need some advice re: marriage counseling.
- Any ideas on how to take a break from work when you can’t really have one?
- Any recommendations for fun bridal shower activities that aren’t cheesy?
- How should I make the most of the spring/summer of my clerkship before returning to Biglaw?
- So, what do you do, what’s your salary (or range), and do you feel fulfilled with where you are in life/career?
- How do you cope with just not feeling successful AT ALL?
- I’m interviewing for a job in Minneapolis. I’ve lived in Boston and Chicago most of my adult life.
- If I get an offer, I’ll tell my boss that I’d like to start working remotely at least a couple days a week.
- I’m thinking we could really use an after-school driving nanny from the first year we have a middle schooler until the younger one is old enough to drive.
- Ever feel jealous of wealthy friends who have it all handed to them and then act like they earned it?
- I hate that we save all these miserable chores for ourselves!
- Any tips for getting through the workday with the physical symptoms of depression?
- Do you do chores/errands on the weekends? A weekend feels wasted to me if all I do is chores.
- Can one of you explain the “my taxes, my money” American thought process?
- Would you keep a smaller emergency fund if you had the option to stop paying your mortgage?
- Do all of you with more experience think that formatting with extreme attention to detail is a valuable use of time?
- I have decided to prioritize comfort more in my work wardrobe.
- Any advice for getting more protein into my diet?
- I am currently trying to decide whether I want to apply to grad school programs this fall or wait another year.
- I’m trying to save money in every way I can before I got to law school in the fall and dont have money for various luxuries.
- I’m pregnant with my first child and would like to start saving for her college education. Is a 529 the best way to go?
- A male colleague who is only slightly senior to me is constantly treating me like his secretary.
- After years of soul searching, I have finally decided to leave private practice as an attorney.
- I’m looking for anecdata re: whether women were able to keep up breastfeeding once they returned to work.
- Does anyone have any suggestions re dealing with a super-mercurial boss?
- Can anyone recommend good natural or organic makeup brands?
- I’m afraid if I list my performance evaluation score from my current job I won’t get this new job.
- Are any ladies still active on our MyFitnessPal group?
- Gee, thanks, J.Crew, for sizing all the way to XXXS, but not larger than XL.
- I’m really struggling with my wild, aging hair.
- Any good jobs/careers out there for millennials who don’t want to be tied down to an office for set hours everyday?
- Please tell me your tales of Queen Bee/frenemy bosses.
- I’ve never had two active job offers at the same time. Which do I choose?
- I woke up and read the news and I am so distraught I don’t know what to do with myself.
- I’m firing an employee for the first time this week. Any advice? I feel guilty, even though I shouldn’t.
- My boyfriend of 6 months told me last night that he doesn’t always feel happy to be in the relationship.
- I broke up with my significant other on Monday night. In the end, there was one big dealbreaker along with the fact that things had been slowly eroding between us for some time.
- I live in a deep blue state. Does it make sense for me to call/write my representatives?
- I’d like to support investigative journalism efforts during this terrible Trump presidency.
- I always feel like I’m “doing it wrong” because no one else in my age group wears tights.
- Do any of you ladies use a Roomba or other robotic vacuum?
- My husband hates his job and his profession and wants to retire.
- Guys, my husband was just diagnosed with Stage 1 melanoma.
- How have you handled a job search for both spouses?
- Who else marched on Saturday?
- Ladies, it’s that time of the year again where we post our clothing expenditures for 2016.
- I canceled my engagement over the weekend.
- How do you handle interviews while still employed?
- I recently received a bad Airbnb review as a guest.
- I have to give myself daily injections in the stomach for the next 7 months.
- Fifteen more years to finish my crushing law school loans.
- I currently work in HR and I am also an NFL Cheerleader. I am in the process of updating my resume.
- For those of you who are still paying off your student loans, do you donate to your school(s)? Why or why not?
- Regarding Chelsea Manning, where do you draw the line between treason and whistleblowing?
- Has anyone who loves international travel and exploring new places made it work with a long-term partner who isn’t interested in travel?
- Any easy tips for organizing recipes?
- Both my husband’s and my 10-year college reunions fall on the same weekend.
- I’m debating about buying another hand mixer vs. a stand mixer.
- I’ve recently realized that my liquid eyeliner ends up getting inside my eyes and my sinuses because I tightline.
- How do you exfoliate? How old are you? What type of skin do you have?
- I have an interview tomorrow and would love some insight.
- There are a couple questions in this thread about family pressuring people to have kids. I do NOT want to be that auntie, but I am curious what my nephew and his fiancé are thinking about.
- Any stories of awesome things that happened to you because you weren’t married young or because you married/partnered after age 30?
- I’m aiming to take 3 weeks off to travel. I’d like to actually do something as part of the traveling.
- Donald Trump tweeted about his support of L.L. Bean. Guess who won’t be buying L.L. Bean anymore?
- How much of your income would you estimate that you spend on groceries?
- I’ve seen a lot of people on here and other places praise the ACA for requiring coverage for breast pumps. I feel like that’s a total waste of money.
- Laptop bags that fit my 14″ laptop?
- How do you deal with the loss of a friendship?
- Recommendations for a low-carb breakfast other than eggs?
- Pros/cons of wearing hair up vs. down for my wedding?
- My mother has repeatedly claimed that she wants to be involved in wedding planning, but every time I tried to involve her she complains or shoots down my ideas.
- My fiancé lost his job, and his unemployment is lasting longer than expected. Our extravagant honeymoon seems less and less likely.
- Looking for some perspective advice on inequitable distribution of household responsibilities.
- How do you guys deal with jealousy?
- How many loads of laundry do you do a week?
- There are several people who I rarely talk to but had me as bridesmaids in their weddings. We were close at one time; now, not so much. Would I invite them to my wedding? I honestly don’t know.
- I grew up going to HBCU sporting events and really enjoyed the bands and step shows. I have this fear of being the only white people there and not doing it right.
- Please post your 2016 financial accomplishments and 2017 financial goals! I need some motivation!
- My fiance and I are setting up our wedding registries.
- My husband and I are heading to London and Paris in March for vacation. I have a million ideas for things to do, but zero info about places to eat.
- I don’t think I’m compatible with a man I recently met on a dating site, in an introvert/extrovert way. Am I overthinking this?
- Is there anything that you wish you did before moving in that we can ask our contractor to do?
- Any good style sites or easy style upgrades from warm to Chic Snow Lodge Lady (but in a city worker sort of way) or even chic winter office attire?
- My older dishwasher has stopped effectively cleaning dishes.
- I would love some suggestions on board games to play with two couples.
- Has anyone from a HCOL area ever decided to relocate to a LCOL area purely for financial reasons?
- I can no longer deny the fact that I shop at least somewhat compulsively.
- What is your firm’s time entry deadline?
- Since my wedding last year, I’ve been asked to be a bridesmaid in three weddings. For each of them, the bride unilaterally chose a dress that was above what I thought was reasonable to spend.
- I have lovely in-laws, but I don’t have much of a relationship with them.
- A new attorney I hired dresses on what I would consider the border of the sexy vs. work-appropriate line. Do I say something?
- All glasses make me look severe and nerdy and I want to look awesome and nerdy.
- My new cat cries ALL NIGHT.
- Any advice for dealing with getting laid off in big law?
- What do you think is the most versatile, timeless wallet color?
- Can we do a reader poll of in-house salaries here?
- How do you deal with healthy eating on a typical long workday with tons of temptations and unpredictability?
- Is it normal when a cat spends a lot of time in the litterbox?
- What are your favorite one-skillet meals?
- I started a new job with a small crown corporation three weeks ago. The work itself is my dream, but I don’t have any peers.
- Is wearing makeup to work an expected professional norm?
- How long does it take to do your professional/daily hair?
- I stopped getting my period and OB/GYN told be to go back on the BCP to make me regular. Now I’m considering going off the BCP to see what happens. Any same experiences?
- Headed to NYC with a good friend for a girls weekend to celebrate my 30th birthday in early January.
- My cousin is looking for someone to help her select colleges and review her essay.
- For New Year’s, I want to become more organized in my home.
- Favorite Christmas/Hanukkah/holiday present that you got? Favorite that you gave?
- What to bring to a intimate “New Year’s Eve” gathering at an old friend’s house?
- Holiday cards: Do you send them? How many?
- What were your favorite books you read this year?
- For holiday cards, is it common to include pictures of the couple and new baby taken immediately after birth?
- I need to get some kind of concrete tips on slowing down/de-stressing my life.
- Question for those who didn’t change names. How do you do your address labels?
- I am a complete misanthrope when it comes to people knocking on my door on behalf of organizations.
- My senior daughter was just rejected from her “dream” college.
- How would you support a friend after she went through a terrible divorce and custody battle, if it was her fault and you don’t agree with her?
- My husband has expressed interest in losing weight, but he basically wants me to be his personal diet coach.
- My husband has been diagnosed with depression and generalized anxiety disorder. He takes meds for these but has been extremely spotty in going for counseling.
- What messages do you send to get responses in online dating?
- Would you be weirded out or offended if you got a holiday card from a couple with no indication that they’re expecting, and then a few months later they announced they had a baby?
- We are flying from Newark to DFW this weekend and it looks like a huge storm is going to be rolling into DFW when our flight arrives. How does one get on an earlier flight?
What was your favorite threadjack? Do tell…