– Women on Wall Street: A rare breed. [The Street via Feministing] – Above the Law has added a section to promote your charitable benefit announcements. [AtL] – Nice article on how to retire with absolutely nothing. (Wait, that isn’t your goal? Oh.) [Motley Fool] – If you’re happy, that will apparently advance the goal … Read More about Weekend Roundup – Wall Street chicks, Money, Tiny things, Ink stains
Poll Results: We Are Not Fashion Police
So about a week and a half ago we asked: At what point do you tell a colleague if her attire is inappropriate? In our theoretical situation she was wearing a see-through miniskirt… – 51% of you would tell her only if you were good friends with her or were in some way responsible for … Read More about Poll Results: We Are Not Fashion Police
Tuesday Poll: Are flip-flops ever acceptable?
Oh, come on, you knew it was coming: how can we have a blog about office-appropriate attire without addressing flip-flops? We’re going to have a multi-part quiz… Above: FitFlops WalkStar Sandals (from Amazon) Psst… below are some of our favorite flip flops for your commute if you’re on the hunt…
– The WSJ explores the benefits of a feminine leadership style. [WSJ] – Advice for those just starting out (or, uh, those who never paid much attention when they started out) regarding healthcare, taxes, and more non-fun adult-type stuff. [NYT] – Tricky: Philip Galanes advises a boss not to tell an assistant to get a … Read More about Weekend Round-Up
– Becky Quick (co-anchor of CNBC’s Squawk Box) gives her advice for how to dress for a job in finance. [Marie Claire via Dealbreaker] – Under-eye circles: women’s No. 1 beauty concern. [NYT] – A new site targets women financial advisers: the goal is to empower them with “the information, resources, and sense of community … Read More about Weekly Round-Up
Tuesday Poll: When to Tell a Colleague Her Outfit is Inappropriate
Let’s set the scene for you: You enter the break room. One of your colleagues stands there, minding her own business and getting coffee. You notice that she’s wearing a khaki linen skirt that is a bit too short — when she bends over to put the milk back in the fridge you can see … Read More about Tuesday Poll: When to Tell a Colleague Her Outfit is Inappropriate
There’s an interesting story in today’s WSJ regarding pantyhose, and how it causes a generational divide between workers. That’s definitely true! We here at Corporette think they should be worn on the most formal of occasions — court appearance, meeting with the CEO, etc — but for daily work they aren’t necessary. We were surprised, … Read More about Generation Pantyhose
Poll: How often do you dryclean suits?
Women’s suits: No one really knows how often to dry clean them. For men, the answer that is given time and time again is the same: Rarely. Once a season, maybe. The less the better. But then again, men’s suits fit differently than women’s, and the things men wear beneath a suit (the long-sleeved shirt, … Read More about Poll: How often do you dryclean suits?
Vogue Versus the Law Firm
Well, not exactly. Lauren Della Monica, over at Damsels In Success, posted her biggest lessons learned from two of her careers: as an editorial assistant at Vogue, as well as a litigator at a big firm. Her resume is inspiring, anyway — she’s opened her own art consulting firm and is only 33 — but … Read More about Vogue Versus the Law Firm
Poll of the week: Wellies at Work
Can you wear rainboots, such as Wellingtons, to the office? Above: Womens Hunter Original
Weekly Round-Up: If you wear it to play, don’t wear it to work
– The Girls in the Beauty Department round up the best pink nail polishes. [Glamour] We totally want the one The Daily Obsession recommended, though (pictured). (Available at Nordstrom.) – Eeek! How did we miss this? “Clothing” arguments for a new legal dress code. We luuuurve the rule that “if you wear it to play, … Read More about Weekly Round-Up: If you wear it to play, don’t wear it to work
– Ask a Working Woman Survey: Indeed! You’ll learn all sorts of stuff. Such as, nobody likes pantyhose. But seriously, go take the survey! [Feminist Law Professors] – WaPo thinks Vogue’s shoots of lady politicians is a window into how these women would like to be perceived. [WaPo] – Uh oh: Barack has now been … Read More about Weekend Roundup