In the Before Times, I rarely fell back asleep after turning off my morning phone alarm(s), but things went downhill in March 2020 when our son’s school switched to remote learning. Suddenly, neither of us had to leave the house in the morning. Usually, I’d be half asleep when I turned off or snoozed my alarm — and a sunrise clock (this Philips one, which I bought and liked) didn’t help at all.
Eventually, I found the app Alarmy (iOS/Android), and it helps so much! Now when my alarm goes off, the app makes me solve five math problems — otherwise, it’ll make the alarm sound again. The math difficulty levels range from “very easy” (3 + 4) to “hell mode” [(162 x 87) + 1,878]. Other “missions” the app features are “shake” (shake your phone to certain requirements), “photo” (get out of bed to take a particular photo), “QR/barcode” (get out of bed to scan a particular code), and “memory” (play a memory game — like the board game).
Here are two examples that will “encourage” you to get out of bed: Require yourself to scan a QR code you’ve put inside your medicine cabinet or to scan the barcode on a bag of coffee in a kitchen cabinet.
I have the free version of Alarmy (for now, at least), but if you buy Premium, you pay $5/month or $59.99/year. It removes ads, has extra “missions,” and gives you the option to wake up to a custom/recorded sound (like, I don’t know, this?), among other cool features. The premium missions are “squat” (do a certain number), “steps” (do a certain number), and “typing” (a phrase/sentence you choose).
Note: When your phone dies because of low battery, Alarmy will close and not reopen automatically when your phone restarts. A notification will let you know, but it’s good to be aware of.
Psst: Kat’s still using her Shortcut tip to make her iPhone alarm to play a playlist of energetic songs when she wakes up.
Workwear sales of note for 12.3.21…
- Nordstrom – Up to 50% off! TONS of sales on reader-favorite lingerie brands like Natori, True & Co, Hanky Panky, and Wacoal — lots of Zella and Barefoot Dreams on sale too!
- Lo & Sons – Up to 60% off (through 12/5)
- Ann Taylor – 60% off select full-price styles; 60% of all sale styles
- Loft – 40% off your purchase
- J.Crew – 40% off sweaters, coats & more
- J.Crew Factory – Up to 50% off everything; extra 50% off clearance
- Banana Republic Factory – 60% off everything
- Lands’ End – Up to 70% off
- Eloquii – Up to 50% off