So this isn’t so much of a product suggestion as a random tip for something that’s plagued me for a while: how to get your iPhone alarm to play a playlist, rather than one single song.
To back up a bit — I’ve always enjoyed waking up to music, and for years was OK to set a single song as my “wake up music.” When I was at the law firm and hating a specific project, it was Whitney Houston’s “It’s Not Right But It’s Okay”; for some reason after my first son was born, the first song I really connected with was the Yeah Yeah Yeahs’ “Heads Will Roll.” I’ve also had various songs from The Gossip and Talking Heads over the years.
But — I don’t know, maybe it’s just me — I find that waking up to one single solitary song tends to eventually “ruin” it for me. And then I hit a long period where I hate the song and wake up feeling stabby but I’m also too lazy/late/busy to figure out how to change the song or pick a new one. And then after a week or so of that, I figure out how to turn the whole thing off, and then I just sleep in for a few months.
ANYHOO. Yessss. Don’t do that, is what I’m saying.
SO: I was psyched when I recently figured out how to set up my iPhone so it wakes me up to a different song every morning. It’s in the SHORTCUTS! Of course, because why would it be in Alarms.
How to Get Your iPhone Alarm to Play a Playlist
Shortcuts –> Automation –> Create Personal Automation –> At ___ time, daily –> Music (Playlist/Shuffle)
In addition to opening the music app, it looks like you can also open the Apple Podcasts app or Overcast. I don’t see Spotify on the list of apps that I personally can add, but then, I’m not paying for the premium version of Spotify. (But maybe you just need to add a Siri shortcut first and then it’ll open? I’m not sure.)
Anyway, it’s been nice to listen to a shuffled song from my “get up!” playlist every morning. Readers, do you have any similar tips to share, either regarding iPhones or morning alarms?
This post contains affiliate links and Corporette® may earn commissions for purchases made through links in this post. For more details see here. Thank you so much for your support!
Workwear Sales as of 6.16.21…
- Nordstrom – 3,800 new markdowns, including some great deals on beauty!
- Bergdorf Goodman – Designer sale, save up to 50% off!
- Nordstrom Rack – Save up to 70% on summer dresses!
- Banana Republic – 40% off purchase & extra 10% off
- Banana Republic Factory – Up to 70% off everything
- Loft – 40% off tops, shorts, skirts & more
- Ann Taylor – Extra 50% off all sale & additional 30% off select sale styles
- Ann Taylor Factory – 60% off 3+ styles; 50% off 2 styles; 40% off 1 style; extra 40% off clearance
- Brooks Brothers – Sale styles up to 70% off!