Today’s reader mail presents us with a great question about wrap dresses for the office… specifically, how to keep a wrap dress closed! Here’s her question:
I am continually more frustrated with trying to monitor my wrap dresses to ensure that the flap upon my lap/knees is “closed.” Do the readers have any suggestions? There is never enough “wrap” fabric to have it sewn shut along the other seam as some dresses are pre-made that way. I’m on the verge of tossing all my wraps. Thoughts?
We hear you — we own a classic wrap dress that feels more like a robe.
We’ve wondered whether a bigger size might be a help (someone told us that the “trick” to wearing wrap dresses is to get them a size or two larger), but this particular wrap dress has pockets that sit in exactly the proper place. We’ve also been less than satisfied with the solutions.
This post contains affiliate links and Corporette® may earn commissions for purchases made through links in this post. For more details see here. Thank you so much for your support!
Still, here are the techniques I’ve tried to keep a wrap dress closed:
- Wear a black, plain slip — no lace — beneath it — like this one.
- Try a combo of tall, waist-shaping shorts and a demi camisole
- Safety pins — you can pin the top of the dress closed; we’ve also placed a safety pin around the mid-thigh mark of the wrap.
- Double-sided tape — we’ve found it’s better used to secure the safety-pinned edge so it lays flat rather than relying on double-sided tape to keep your dress shut
- Finally, we’ve never tried this, but it just might work for some wrap dresses: wear them backwards.
Actually, some of the solutions for gaping shirts might work for you — here’s a little slideshow:
Some of the top products to help you fix a gaping blouse include:
Above, some solutions for gaping blouses: 1) Topstick toupee tape 2) double-stick medical tape 3) Flash Tape 4) Fearless Tape 5) black & white and colorful safety pins — see more clever solutions for workwear problems in our Amazon shop!
Readers, what are your solutions to the problem? What are your best tips for how to keep a wrap dress closed?
(Pictured above: Diane von Furstenberg Justin Dress, available at ShopBop.com for $325.)
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.