This post may contain affiliate links and Corporette® may earn commissions for purchases made through links in this post. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.How should you style a maxi dress for a business casual office? Reader P wonders…
I’m lucky enough to work in an office where I can wear maxi dresses on more casual days. It’s generally a relaxed business casual environment, with employees adjusting their dressy/casual levels depending on their external meeting schedules (so one person might be suited up while another is donning khaki capris). Do you have any suggestions for styling a maxi dress (my summertime staple!) to be appropriate and chic for the office? Mine all have wide enough straps to be work appropriate, but they seem *too* casual without a layering piece. I’ve tried to pair them with jackets and cardigans, but for whatever reason, I can’t get the proportions to line up just right. Is there a particular style/shape/length of topper that you’d recommend? Thanks!Hmmmn. I’m still pretty anti-maxi dresses for the office, but I’m going to take Reader P at her word that, for her office, they’re totally appropriate — and this also may be a useful question for people going in to the office on a weekend and unexpectedly getting pulled into a meeting, or so forth, so let’s discuss. (Pictured: French Connection Brushstroke Print Jersey Maxi Dress, available at Nordstrom for $94, was $158.)
- Wear a normal bra, and keep it covered. If you need a strapless bra or a special racer back bra, put the dress down — you shouldn’t have to wear special bras for office attire. As Reader P mentioned, make sure your maxi dress has wide enough straps to cover your bra. Be wary of a very low neckline, or of a maxi dress with skin-baring cutouts.
- Keep your shoes professional. This can be the hardest thing — I think strappy flats look good with a maxi dress, but that’s me. Just because your dress covers your shoes doesn’t mean you can get away with flip flops or wedge sandals.
- Cover your arms and shoulders with a fitted shape. I tend to like wearing shrugs with maxi dresses on the weekend, but that can also look casual. For the office I would try it with a shrunken blazer or perhaps a fitted blouse. You want to add structure to the looseness on the bottom.
- Dress it up with accessories. A skinny patent belt, a delicate necklace, or a high quality statement necklace — all of these things can go a long way.
- Keep your hair neat and tidy, such as in an office updo.
—————N.B. These substantive posts are intended to be a source of community comment on a particular topic, which readers can browse through without having to sift out a lot of unrelated comments. And so, although of course we highly value all comments by our readers, we’re going to ask you to please keep your comments on topic; threadjacks will be deleted at our sole discretion and convenience. Thank you for your understanding!
Workwear sales of note for 12.1.23
Our favorites are in bold!
- Nordstrom – Limited-Time Sale of 11,000+ items; up to 25% off select women’s coats & jackets (ends 12/6); Nike up to 25% off (ends 12/2); markdowns include big deals on UGG, Natori, Marc Fisher LTD, Vionic and more!
- Ann Taylor – Up to 40% off full-price styles; extra 40% off all sale styles
- Banana Republic – Up to 40% off sale styles
- Banana Republic Factory – Up to 50% off everything; extra 25% off $125+
- ba&sh – Up to 50% off fall/winter styles
- Bergdorf Goodman – Designer Sale: Up to 40% off; free same-day delivery for a limited time
- Club Monaco – 25% off almost everything
- Express – 40% off everything
- J.Crew – 50% off women’s styles; extra 30% off sale styles
- Loft – 40% off full-price styles; 60% off 2+ sale styles or 50% off 1
- Lo & Sons – Up to 70% off; spend $100, get an extra 10% off wallets — reader favorites include this laptop tote, this backpack, and this crossbody
- Summersalt – 30% off everything; up to 60% off select styles (this reader-favorite sweater blazer is down to $75)
- Talbots – 30% off entire purchase, including all markdowns — readers love this cashmere boatneck and this cashmere cardigan, as well as their sweater blazers in general
- Theory – Cold weather essentials up to 40% off
- Theory Outlet – Last-chance styles 70-80% off; up to 70% off coats; up to 60% off cashmere; extra 20% off 2 items and extra 25% off 3+ items; readers love this T-shirt
- Universal Standard – Up to 81% off; jeans start at $35
Kid- and Family-Related Sales
- BabyJogger – 25% off 3 items with code
- Crate & Kids – Toy & gift event: up to 50% off everything; save 10% off full price items
- J.Crew Crewcuts – 50% off everything; extra 30% off sale styles
- Ergobaby – 40% off Omni Breeze Carrier, 25% off Evolve 3-in-1 bouncer, $100 off Metro+ Strollers
- Graco – Up to 30% off car seats
- Strolleria – 25% off Wonderfold wagons, and additional deals on dadada, Cybex, and Peg Perego
- Walmart – Savings on Maxi-Cosi car seats, adventure wagons, rocker recliners, security cameras and more!
Some of our latest posts here at Corporette…
- Favorite comfy pants for an overnight plane ride?
- I’ve got a nasty case of tech neck…
- What’s a good place for a relaxing solo escape?
- What’s the best commuter backpack?
- I’m early 40s and worry my career arc is ending…
- I canNOT figure out the proportions in this current season of fashion…
- How is everyone wearing scarves in 2023?
- What shoes are people wearing to work between boot and sandal season?
- What’s a good place for a relaxing solo escape?
- What are some of your go-to outfits that feel current?
- I need more activities that are social, easy to learn and don’t involve extreme running/jumping/etc.