August 2023 Update: Curious about the next big Nordstrom sale? The 2023 Nordstrom Anniversary Sale just ended, but the next big sale will be their Half-Yearly Sale around Dec. 24. Unfamiliar with the NAS? Check out this page for more info on why it’s the best sale of the year.) Sign up for our newsletter to stay on top of all the major workwear sales, or check out our roundup of the latest sales on workwear!
The below content is about the 2015 Nordstrom Anniversary Sale.
As mentioned earlier: The Nordstrom Anniversary sale, where they mark next season’s merchandise down now for a limited time, just opened to the general non-cardholding public today.
After reviewing my picks from last week’s early access sale, the good news is that many of my favorites are still in stock in lots of sizes. Some of the pieces that sold out aren’t surprising (there’s a much more limited stock of Pliage bags on sale than there was last week, for example), and some were (who knew Coach flats were so popular? Just the gold left now).
So for today’s roundup I thought I’d focus on the “online only” portion of the sale, as well as beauty (which I totally didn’t hit at all last week and oh, it is good).
Remember, my full workwear picks are here, and my full picks from the bag and shoe section are here. (Just for kicks I’ve also put clickable images at the bottom of this post — see the original posts for all of the text/thoughts/reasoning behind each piece, should you care to.)
First, two picks from the online-only section that I’m not picturing: this Gallery coat looks like a great classic if you need a new one, and these Cosabella thongs are on a pretty great discount if that’s your thing… and, hey, while we’re talking undies, do note that there’s a ton of Hanky Panky in the sale in general. On to my four new work dress picks, all under $150:
- I mentioned this Tahari dress last week but didn’t picture it — I still think it looks lovely. It’s currently marked to $118.90, but will go back up to $178 after the sale ends August 3. (I didn’t notice this gray printed Tahari dress either last week and it looks great as well.)
- This nice Ellen Tracy dress comes in both fuchsia and black, and is machine washable — it’s now $84.90, but will be $128 after the sale ends. Available in sizes 2-16.
- This faux wrap Eliza J dress has been around for years I think, but I haven’t seen it with sleeves before — it looks short(ish) in some of the pictures, but longer in others; my guess is that if you’re shorter than a model it’ll be fine on you. It’s $78.90, but will go back up to $118 after the sale. It’s selling out in some sizes and colors (it’s available in purple, cobalt, and black, sizes 2-16), but I think there’s still something for everyone.
- This Karen Kane dress has been around for years — every season they come out with new colors and prints, usually in both short- and long-sleeved versions. On deep discount you can sometimes find lucky sizes as low as $40ish, so to have your pick of sizes and colors at $71 that’s pretty good. It’s available in regular sizes XS-XL, in six different colors and prints as part of the sale (and more outside of the sale, including plus sizes).
(Note that you can click the pictures as well to get to the sale…)
The beauty sale is really good — tons of great things marked down, as well as extra-value sets. A few pieces that jumped out at me:
- Readers turned me on to the Clarisonic, which I bought one of the Beauty.com 20% off sales — this is as good as that deal. It’s $119 now, but it’ll be $150 after the sale ends. (If you’re looking for equipment they also have a number of nice curling irons from Sultra and T3 travel dryers and the like).
- I tried Living Proof when it first came out for my frizz-prone hair and felt meh about it, but in the years since everyone and their sister has raved about it — so I’m eyeing this set to give it another try. You can the shampoo, conditioner, and “
- I feel like I’m constantly on the hunt for good brushes — which are your favorites, ladies? This set from Smashbox looks nice — 10 pieces, $225 value, all for $89 during the sale.
- I’ve written before about my love for YSL’s Glossy Stain — but at $36 per color the addiction can get pricey, fast. This set of three colors (plus a cosmetics bag) looks great — all for $72.
- I still think I prefer Clinique’s Chubby Sticks more, but the NARS crayons I have are close seconds. There are two sets in the Nordstrom sale — one of light colors (pictured), one of dark colors. Both set offers a trio of lipcolors for $49 — again not bad considering a single crayon goes for $24. (There are some Chubby Sticks included in the sale as well, of course, but they’re more of a throw-in for the Clinique Moisture Surge cream, which I have no opinions about.)
- I like a lot of MAC makeup, including their eye shadows, and this MAC eye shadow set looks like an amazing value — eight shadows, two lipsticks… hmmn, do I need another one like this? Hmmn.
- Butter London’s classic shade of Yummy Mummy is one of my favorites — it’s a neutral but with a bit of an edge, and it goes on smoothly and lasts as long as my Chanel polish. I also like that it’s “three free” — they don’t add formaldehyde, toluene or DBP to any of its nail formulas. This Butter set pictured below includes Yummy Mummy, Early Grey, and a lip crayon in Tea for the Queen, which I haven’t tried but I’ve read great reviews of. It’s listed as a $40 value, but is priced at only $24. It’s just one of the sets from Butter London included in the sale; Deborah Lippman also has some good sets included in the sale.
- Another eye shadow set I’m drooling over, and this time only for $15: this lovely set of neutrals from LORAC. Seven shades for $15! Nice.
And, just for kicks, here are my previous recommendations, at least in image form — each image is clickable. See my older posts if you’d like the explanations behind them… here are all of my workwear clothing picks:
Readers who are cardholders, which pieces did you get last week? Any hits or misses you care to share?