Sure, we all know what wardrobe essentials for work professional women are supposed to have in their closets, but if you’re buying one for the first time or replacing one you’ve worn into the ground, it can be a pain to find exactly the right incarnation in stores. In “The Hunt,” we search the stores for a basic item that every woman should have.
Today I thought we’d go on a hunt for the best Chanel-style jackets for work since there are SO MANY out right now. Just like oversized blazers — here’s our roundup for the best boyfriend blazers for work. After looking around, it’s unusual to see the blazers either clustered at the younger end of things (Express has soooo many, so does Abercrombie & Fitch) — or the designer shops or stores where more established women shop. So which are the best, most stylish — and where can you find Chanel-style jackets for work?
Readers, have you bought any Chanel-style jackets lately that you love?
Pictured on homepage: Chanel.
This post contains affiliate links and Corporette® may earn commissions for purchases made through links in this post. For more details see here. Thank you so much for your support!
- Usual Suspects (first brands/stores to check): Chanel, St. John, IRO, L’Agence, Sandro
- Affordable Spots: Express, White House | Black Market, Mango,
- Plus Sizes: Mango, Eloquii,
- Petite Sizes: Talbots (lucky sizes only), Ordicle, White House | Black Market (in general, filter by your size), Express (in general, filter by your size),
- Matching Pieces/Part of a Suit: M.M. Lafleur, Chanel (also), Kate Spade, & Other Stories, Balmain, L’Agence, Ted Baker, Mango, Abercrombie & Fitch, Ordicle, QStitches, (note that I haven’t hunted to see if they have multiple matching pieces, so it may just be the matching shorts or miniskirt they’re pictured with…)
- Splurges: Chanel (2022 jacket), Chanel (2022 suit), Saint Laurent, Balmain, Nili Lotan — also note that Farfetch has a whole section on pre-owned Chanel jackets; most prices are $1000+.
- Handmade (links go to Etsy): NinaKalinaFashion, Ordicle, Ohhmyposhy, SallyAllenFashion, QStitches,
- Unusual/fun twists on Chanel-style jackets: down, denim trim, mohair!, moto, silk organza that looks like fur, paisley lining, kaleidoscope tweed, “multi bright nude,” this bizarre jacket-to-tank top convertible — also, not a twist, but it makes me feel like shouting “ugh, as if!”
- Lucky sizes only but too cool not to mention: Alice & Olivia (M), Isabel Marant (8),
Ann Taylor actually comes in at the MOST affordable today (at least for our featured items) because they’re having a 50% off sale. This classic and elegant braided trim tweed jacket is $179, but is now 50% off with code. It’s available in regular and petite sizes 2-18.
Ann Taylor actually has a bunch of tweed jackets right now, but many are waitlist only right now. (Is that a new feature? I haven’t noticed that before.)
This is probably pushing the limits of “Chanel-inspired jacket” for a number of reasons, but I thought it was interesting because it’s so rare to see a short-sleeved blazer that I would actually describe as cute. Admittedly, it’s especially cute with the cropped, casual look — but maybe for a casual office (and a bodysuit or close-fitting tank underneath) it would work. The tweed jacket is $110 at Express Marketplace from seller Endless Rose (the brand is also carried by Nordstrom). Express actually has a ton of affordable tweed jackets right now.
Other affordable spots with a surplus of tweed jackets right now: White House | Black Market (well, several tweed options, in both regular and petite sizes), Mango (00-3X), and Abercrombie & Fitch. (Nordstrom also carries some Mango pieces, if you prefer their return policy.)
I looooove this Boden jacket — and it’s on sale. I would normally think that embroidery, tassels, and strong graphic lines would be a Lot of Look on a jacket like this, but… I kind of love it. I’d wear it with all black beneath, or mix it with neutrals in an intentional way — the white trousers and black tee look nice here, but you could also do a white tee and another neutral bottom (a dark beige/tan, a dark gray). It was $350, but is now on sale for $192.50, with most sizes still available in sizes 2-22.
Another great sale (although a bit pricier) is this beigey brown Veronica Beard jacket — that is not my color at all, but something about the jacket is *chef’s kiss*. It was $758, but now marked to $379; most sizes 00-16 are still available. Another *chef’s kiss* jacket: this amazing L’Agence blazer, $575 at Bergdorf Goodman (not on sale at all).
I’m actually surprised this is so affordable, since I usually think of IRO as being in the $500+ range — but yes, it’s only $380. It’s a cotton-blend boucle, and comes in 5 colors (!), including burgundy (pictured), cappuccino, white, black, and red. It’s available in sizes 2-12 at Saks.
L’Agence is another brand that I think of as having amazing Chanel-like jackets for work — lots of tweed and fringe and other lovely details like sequins. This cropped, double breasted jacket (pictured) is on trend, and slightly hinting at another major trend: very strong shoulders. (See Balmain and Yves Saint Laurent.)
(The jacket featured on the home page is also Chanel, but the product page is for the vest beneath the jacket… I’ll keep hunting for the product page for the jacket.)
The double-breasted jacket is part of the upcoming Nordstrom Anniversary Sale, where it will be $398 in the sale — after the sale ends the price will go back up to $595.
So: If you’re looking for Chanel-style jackets, you should probably just look at Chanel itself. This amazing purpley tweed number looks stunning and is from the 2021/22 Métiers d’art Show. It’s pictured with a long skirt with a slit, but I’m guessing if you’re paying almost $8000 for the jacket then it’s in the realm of possibilities for them to customize the skirt for you (for $$$, of course).
You can also get pre-owned Chanel, of course; Farfetch has a number of ones on sale — it’s kind of fun to look at the different styles of Chanel jackets over the years. Love this single-breasted jacket from 1994 ($7479), as well as this tweed trim one from 2010 ($3895).
Like this feature? Check out other recent installments!