2021 Update: We still stand by this discussion of where to find suits for an Amazonian… but you may want to check out our most recent discussion of the best stores for tall women.
Today’s question comes from, well, an Amazonian, wondering where to find the best suits for an Amazonian…
My question has to do with where to find professional clothing that will actually fit me. I am 6′ tall and usually need a 36″ inseam in pants and “longs” or “talls” in jackets, so the sleeves are long enough. It’s interesting that almost all women’s clothing comes in petites or plus sizes, but tall sizes are hard to find. I’ve ordered suits from J. Crew in talls, and they fit me perfectly. I also order most of my work pants from Victoria’s Secret, as their tall pants seem to fit me very well too. I was just wondering if you had any other ideas of where to find tall sizes in work clothes.
This strikes us as a question that must be a common problem for tall women. While we’re not the best suited to answer the question ourselves (barely 5’4″) we’re hoping our readers will be able to chime in. We do, however, note that website LongTallSally.com seems to have a lovely selection of office-appropriate wear, and specialty site Alloy has a number of good options as well.
This post contains affiliate links and Corporette® may earn commissions for purchases made through links in this post. For more details see here. Thank you so much for your support!
Suits for an Amazonian… and Other Extremely Tall Women
- Ann Taylor
- Anne Klein
- Banana Republic
- BOSS/Hugo Boss
- Brooks Brothers
- Etsy shops may also take custom measurements, such as the celebrity-inspired suits at heartmycloset and the vintage-inspired suits at VigilanteLabs (here’s our whole roundup of 7 fun Etsy shops for workwear!)
- Gianni Bini (at Dillard’s)
- Long Tall Sally
- M.M. LaFleur (filter by “tall-friendly”)
- Michaela Jedinak (add up to 10cm on every item)
- New York & Company (5’9″ and up)
- Of Mercer
- Ted Baker
- White House Black Market
Comfortable Heels in Extended Widths & Sizes
In our last roundup of classic black heels for business attire, we rounded up some pumps that came in extended widths, including:
- Extended widths (AA, C, W): Target (M/W), Vionic (MW), Rockport (NMW), Ferragamo (2A, B, C), Trotters (M,W, WW), Sam Edelman (NMW), Bella Vita (AA-EE), LifeStride (AA-E), Naturalizer (N-WW),
- Extended sizes (4-13): Sam Edelman (4-13), Naturalizer (4-12), Rockport (5-13), VIONIC (6-12), Corso Como, (5-12) Target (5-12), Calvin Klein (4-13), Ferragamo (4-11)
Some Comfortable Flats in Extended Widths & Sizes
In our last roundup of comfortable flats for work, we rounded up some flats that came in extended width sizes…
Please note: this post was originally written on August 11, 2009 — but updated in 2019 to add our latest favorite stores for tall women who would offer women’s suiting options!