This post may contain affiliate links and Corporette® may earn commissions for purchases made through links in this post. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Alas, I think I’ve waited too long to do my Hunt for winter coats, as there are only lucky sizes left for everything I like. So instead, let’s have a discussion about three things:
- where would you go if you’re looking for an AFFORDABLE BUT DEPENDABLY WARM COAT?
- where would you go if you were looking for a STATEMENT COAT (that’s slightly affordable)?
- where would you go if you were buying an INVESTMENT COAT?
Some Recent Picks From Our Favorite Stores for Classic Winter Coats for Work
Hunting for great winter coats in plus sizes? These are some of our latest favorites:
My Favorite Stores for Winter Coats for Work
My answers would be these — but I’m really curious what you guys would say. (For those of you who have loved J.Crew coats in the past, would you still put them in the first category?)
- Dependably Warm Coats in a Wide Size Range: Lands’ End, LL Bean, Talbots, Eddie Bauer, Uniqlo
- Statement Coats: thrift stores/your grandmother’s closet, Mackage, The Outnet, Yoox, ASOS, Reiss
- Investment Coats: Burberry, Mackage (or their more affordable line, Soia & Kyo), Fleurette, Cinzia Rocca, Patagonia
As far as statement coats go, I never got a ton of wear out of it but I was pretty thrilled to find a fake fur coat for $10 at a random thrift store in Evanston, IL during my college years — it’s probably still hanging in my parents’ basement. I also still regret losing my grandmother’s blue tweed coat — I’m still hopeful I’ll find it one day.
Finally: it wasn’t a winter coat, but rather a lighterweight jacket that was a gray check lined with a red satin that I bought on a trip to Germany one summer when I only packed summer clothes, somehow forgetting that 70 degrees is jacket weather, at least for someone who’s always freezing like me. It was bought during my skinnier years, and it’s one of those things I stubbornly hang onto, even though I haven’t fit into it in years.
How about you — where are your favorite places to go for winter coats? Have you bought any great coats recently (regale us with your sale stories, ladies!)! Have you ever had a statement coat that you were super happy to have?
More Great Winter Coats for Work
There are a ton of fun trendy winter coats for work at Nordstrom this year – these are our favorites!
2021 updated images via Deposit Photos / fotototo.