Sure, we all know what wardrobe essentials for work professional women are supposed to have in their closets, but if you’re buying one for the first time or replacing one you’ve worn into the ground, it can be a pain to find exactly the right incarnation in stores. In “The Hunt,” we search the stores for a basic item that every woman should have.
I’ve always been a fan of purple pumps for the office — they’re the perfect shoe to pair with navy skirts and pants, but they also work with blacks, grays, even reds. (Check out these Louboutins to see how lovely purple can look with red!) Personally I prefer a purple that’s more wine-colored — not quite as manic as ’80s purple, but not quite as sober as cordovan, which I think of as more of a reddish-brown. Finding the perfect hue is tricky!
We haven’t gone on a hunt for classic wine-colored heels for work in way too long, so I thought I’d take a look around and see what’s on the market today.
Readers, if you’re back in the office, have you tried wine-colored pumps with your work outfits?
This post contains affiliate links and Corporette® may earn commissions for purchases made through links in this post. For more details see here. Thank you so much for your support!
- Hall of Famers: Marc Fisher LTD, Vionic, Rothy’s (flats)
- Heels: Marc Fisher LTD, Vionic, Ann Taylor, Nine West, INC International Concepts, Vionic (thicker heel)
- Boots: Trotters, Blondo, Aquatalia, Jimmy Choo (!), MM.LaFleur, J.Crew, Jennifer Chamandi, Manolo Blahnik, Chelsea Paris, Chie Mihara
- Flats: Manolo, Rothy’s, Softwalk, Miz Mooz, Journee, Vivaia, Wandler, Bougeotte, Talbots, Trotters, Trotters, J.Crew Factory
- Extended widths: (come in sizes like C, W, etc): Trotters (boots), Softwalk (flats), J.Renee (slingbacks), Trotters (slingback flats), Trotters (loafers)
- Extended sizes: (come in sizes like 4-12, etc): J. Renee (13), Trotters (loafers, 12)
- Comfort: Vionic, Trotters (boot), Blondo (boot), Gabor (wedge), Rothy’s (flats) (don’t forget to check out our entire guide to comfortable heels)
We’ve featured more shoes today, but here’s a widget with some of the other ones we’ve linked to above…
On to today’s featured shoes!
If you’re hunting for a low-heeled, comfortable shoe, these wine-colored Vionics have been reader favorites for a loooong time. I’ve only found them at Amazon in recent months, though, so they may be on their way out — if you love them, stock up.
I like the color of these pumps from Macy’s house brand, INC International Concepts — and at only $55 they’re some of the more affordable options if you like a tall heel.
Another option if you like a tall heel: these ombré heels from Nine West.
These are a little bit on the “too red” side, but they’re lovely shoes in and of themselves — and I feel like the modified T-strap would make the shoe very comfortable.
These block heel pumps from Marc Fisher LTD have stood the test of time — they’ve been bestsellers and reader favorites for years now. I looove this color of purple suede — it’s exactly the right color to be extraordinarily versatile.
The shoe is $159 at Nordstrom, available in sizes 5-11.
We’ve never featured boots in this kind of roundup before, but I’m kind of LOVING these. At one of the last networking events I went to, there were several women (all in creative jobs) wearing simple black shift dresses with bold boots featuring animal prints — I was kind of on the hunt for something for myself in an affordable, comfortable version to try the trend.
This boot may be it — the embossing is pretty bold, especially when paired with the color — and it’s from a comfort brand (Trotters). And they’re only $159 new. WHOA.
(If you’re liking the idea of wine-colored boots, there are also some waterproof ones from Blondo or Aquatalia. On the other side of things — bold statement knee-high boots — these Jimmy Choo ones are amaaaaaazing.)
Like this feature? Check out other recent installments!