Friday’s TPS Report: Twist-Waist Dress

Our daily TPS reports suggest one piece of work-appropriate attire in a range of prices.

I tip my hat to Lucky magazine: I saw a Tiana B. dress listed in it as an editor’s pick (or something like that), which sent me to HSN, where I promptly found a ton of cute Tiana B. dresses. I like this twist-waist dress for a casual day at the office. It actually looks flattering on all body sizes (it’s offered in sizes XS-3X) and looks comfortable and easy to care for. It’s $39.90 and available in tomato (pictured), midnight, brown, and black. Tiana B. “Bobbi’s Pick” Twist-Waist Dress

Seen a great piece you’d like to recommend? Please e-mail [email protected]
(L-2)

Comments

1. Great colour! I like the cut of the skirt too. However, is it just me or are the sleeves a bit of an odd length? It looks like an oversized T-shirt top.

• Ms. Basil E. Frankweiler says:

This. I couldn’t figure out what seemed off to me, but you hit the nail on the head. Even though I absolutely love the color, because of the shape, I could never see myself wearing it to work. Not even on casual Fridays.

• That said, it would probably look super cute with cap sleeves (or as a sleeveless dress, although then it might be too bottom-heavy). For $39.90 I’d be happy to take something to the tailor, if the rest of it was good enough.

• Eleanor says:

Agreed. I am even a sleeve fan – I dislike cap sleeves – but these seem too long, or too baggy, or both. This dress does look like it would be flattering on a variety of body types and sizes, though.

• Susan says:

I think of cap sleeves in this way (the SAT analogy question way):

N1pple Pasties: Chest
        Cap Sleeves: Shoulders

They’re not enough sleeve, and they are unflattering to many body/arm types.

• It DOES look a little funny! The manageing partner would be stareing at my tush with this one, b/c it looks a little tight in the seat area.

I do NOT like it when the manageing partner start’s to make sugestions about my clotheing. He should STICK to manageing the law firm, not my clotheing. FOOEY!

2. karenpadi says:

Bay Area Corporettes!

I’ve received a few ideas for our meet-up in San Francisco on the 28th. Let me know what you think:

Asian Art Museum and cafe (Civic Center BART)
    MOMA and cafe (Montgomery BART)
    Lounge at Slanted Door (Ferry Building – Embarcadero BART)
    Gott’s (Ferry Building – Embarcadero BART)
    Press Club (Powell BART)
    Hotel Biron wine bar (Civic Center BART)
    Afternoon tea at the Palace Hotel (Montgomery BART)

or…
    The San Francisco Ballet is having a free public class viewing on Sunday April 29th from 11:30 to 12:45 at the Opera house. It is near the Civic Center Muni and Bart stations, so it is accessible to people who take Caltrain or Bart and to people who live in San Francisco.

We could watch it and then pick a place near Civic Center for a light lunch or coffee (I think there is a Philz Coffee nearby).

Thank you DA and AH (sorry, I don’t remember your screen names) for the ideas. I’m going off the grid next week so I’ll make a decision tonight and send out an email (and repost here).

Awesome! I am very familiar with the Civic Center area (used to work around there) – there’s lots of great stuff around. I might show up after the ballet part :). Asian Art, MOMA, Slanted Door, Press Club are all great ideas. Afternoon tea at the Palace hotel is pretty pricey and not really our demographic, so I’d suggest one of the other great alternatives over the Palace hotel.

• I vote for the Asian Art Museum, but these are all great, I’ll try to make it no matter what.

• ChocCityB&R says:

I’ve been away from corporette for a while, so I didn’t see the bay area get together. How do I get added to the email list?

• Wow. I’m not near San Fran at all but this all sounds so fabulous, I want to be.

Excellent! Lets meet at Cafe Asia in the Asian Art museum at 1pm on Saturday the 28th. No admission ticket required.

It looks like I am a little too late to get group tickets but the museum is open from 10am-5pm on Saturdays.

3. GovtMom says:

I bought a Tiana B dress similar to this one as an emergency funeral dress (needed something besides my black suit for the 100+ degree day). It’s fine but the fabric is skimpy. I actually thought many of the Target dresses I’ve picked up are higher quality.

• hellskitchen says:

Thanks for sharing your experience. I see these on ideeli all the time but have been hesitant to buy because I wasn’t sure about the quality

• Melissa says:

I really like Tiana B dresses — they use jerseys that do often feel fine, but they don’t get pilly in the wash. The cotton jerseys from Target always seem to pill for me….

Also, a lot of Tiana B clothes are made in the USA, which I really appreciate.

• hellskitchen says:

Do they cling? I have been wary of thin jerseys because I have to wear them with Spanx. (And totally with you on pilling – hate that in cotton jerseys)

4. Nevadan says:

I think this dress is really cute and the color selection is nice, too. However, in this part of the country that’s not what is meant by a casual day at the office. To me that is a dress to wear for a dinner date or maybe to a baby shower. Or in black to a funeral. In other words, it looks a little bit dressy compared to what I would ordinarily wear for a business day.

5. JDater says:

Threadjack–has anyone had any experience with JDate? I’m thinking of trying it, but I’ve never done any kind of online dating before. I’d love to get any thoughts or tips!

• No experience, but I have two friends who have gotten married to folks they met on JDate.

Same here, but be warned that both marriages are horrible! The women desperately wanted to be married and it did not end well.

• Oh no. In interest of full discolosure, I should then add that one of the two marriages I was referring to is horrible. Both also involve people who really wanted to be married, but I think in one case the couple is just happy to be married and in the other the expectations on both sides were just out of whack.

• No personal experience, but I know of THREE married couples who met on JDate, and another couple who have been in a relationship for two years. It seems to work just like any other kind of online dating, so any more general advice would probably apply – except for the specific aspects like selecting which level of religiousness you are, etc. :)

I also don’t know how it works for casual dating, as I’m pretty sure the couples I know who got married were going spouse-hunting. That said, if you’re in NYC (which has a much bigger proportion of Jews than London!), the scene is probably a bit less desperate as people aren’t so worried about running out of Jewish partners!

• I know a billion married couples, including my cousin, who met on Jdate. I met a guy who’s now been a very good friend for many years, and a couple other guys I dated for a few months at a time. (Eventually met the husband in person, although he apparently saw me on Jdate.) If you’re at all connected to the Jewish community, though, you’ll probably meet the same people elsewhere (see, e.g., my husband and me).

• count me in the no experience camp, but I know two married couples who met on j-date

• Multiple friends in the Boston area (decently sized Jewish population, though not as many as NYC) have been on it, with pretty good success rates. Just went to a wedding for one couple who met on JDate (each as each others’ first JDate match) a few months back.

• I tried JDate for a few months and had a very positive experience. There were definitely a few duds, but the overwhelming majority of guys I met were nice. Like dating in general, there are some people on there looking for a relationship, others looking for something more casual, and you can figure out fairly early on which are which. Although I wound up meeting my husband through friends, we were both on JDate at the same time. My sister met her husband on JDate, and we both have a lot of friends who met their spouse via JDate. As far as I know, everyone seems to be happily married. FWIW, I am on a big east coast city with a sizable J population and more of a cultural J than a religious one.

Good luck and have fun!

• no longer "job hunting" says:

I tried J Date for a little while before meeting my fiance (not through J Date). I was not a paying member, so the only way I could meet people was through online chatting. This made it difficult to coordinate dates, because I think most people want to get to know at least a bit about each other before dating which would have required multiple chats. Also, I did not limit my search by city and ended up coming across some creepers. Which was stupid on my part. Not saying don’t do it– just watch out for some of the pitfalls. I would still say it’s worth a try– what do you have to lose?

• mamabear says:

One of the senior managers here met his wife on J-date. He moved across the country to live where she lived. (awww!) Two kids and 10 years later, they appear to be extremely happy.

• Anonym says:

There are lots of people desperate to get married, but the creeper ratio is lower than on Match.com. I know a couple of happy marriages (one going on 8 years), and a couple of long term good relationships (5 years, then mutual break up in one, and 2 years and still going strong on the other). Go for it.

• anony says:

It could do no harm to try and meet men through J date if you are careful. I earned one great (professional) friendship and have been in a relationship (though very rocky) for the past 5 years following a broken marriage… My advice: verify any information a guy gives you. They are tempted to twist their life story. Its not only my experience: men I know who are trying to meet women through the site admit to using this practice…

6. Regular poster (but trying to keep this post under the google radar).

Three years ago, I left BigLaw when I realized I hated working at a “sprint pace” and surviving on 4-5 hours of sleep. I took a pay cut and went to a “marathon pace” firm.

My firm needs me to step up. I was second lieutenant (after the partner and another associate) for one of the top 3 clients of the firm. I really enjoy working with this client and this client was part of the reason I was hired by my firm. Well, the first lieutenant decided to go in-house at the firm (I am very happy for him) and I’m stepping into his former role.

The issue is that he was/is the kind of person who doesn’t mind working until 2am every night and being available 24/7. I don’t want to do that ever again. I am strongly encouraged to delegate a lot of meetings and tasks to other attorneys (honestly, I could do nothing but these meetings and tasks and still make my hours without working on anything else). We are pretty short-handed for now so I (legitimately) hear a lot of “I’m drowning”, “I have negative bandwidth”, and “My docket is packed.” So I already feeling the pressure (and the insomnia) to do most of this myself.

For now, I am really trying to spread these tasks thinly and according to “expertise”. I am also doing a bunch of recruiting and training. I’m encouraged to start phasing out some of my normal work to handle this stuff. I know the next month or so will be awful though. Has anyone else gone through something similar and have any words of wisdom? Any good delegation tricks?

• Bluejay says:

Can you hire an associate? At my job I have a lot of free rein to hire people when I get overburned (although we’re a nonprofit and we have a fellows program, so it’s only a one-year commitment – hiring an associate is probably a bigger deal). But if you’re replacing someone who left, shouldn’t someone be replacing your old job too?

• Yeah, I have them interviewing two people while I am on vacation next week. Thing is, we were looking to hire 2-3 more people before this guy (and another guy) decided to go in house for our clients. It’s a good problem to have but frustrating at the same time.

• Bluejay says:

I would just prioritize replacing your old position, if you can. There’s not much else you can do. Try not to focus on work when you’re on vacation; you’ll need the mental and emotional break since you’ll be really busy when you get back (and I know that’s easier said that done).

I feel like I’m constantly slammed at work and understaffing is chronic due to funding issues. It just sucks, but I like my actual work (there’s just too much of it) so I figure it could be worse. Also doesn’t help that I’ve been really sick lately and missed a ton of work or worked from home with a fever (like I’m doing today).

• We’ve been saying, for the past year or so that our “bench is thin.” It’s been rough, with people going down right and left. I’ve been trying to take a long term view – we may have to walk through fire to get there but in a year or year and a half, everything’s going to be soooo much better. Good luck!

• Anonym says:

See if you can hire in someone you worked with at BigLaw who you know is competent, but probably wants to get slightly less insane hours.

But yes the only way to get out of this is to hire your way out.

In the meantime, lean hard on the admin staff that know this client, and ask your now-in-house counterpart to pick up some of the slack.

Good luck. It is a good problem to have.

7. Mid 40's says:

I just bought it in the royal blue. I love the sleeve length… for those of us that a tad older .. it appears to be perfect – the hem is right as well. Editorial – all I see in the stores is sleeveless….our office has a policy against sleeveless… we saw way too many skimpy tops.

• That’s what blazers are for! ;)

• Ditto this. I have somewhat long arms that look disproportional with a sleeveless dress. I almost always end up adding a cardigan or blazer, which works quite well for chilly offices.

• Since you like sleeves, do you know of any good brands/designers who carry great work dresses with sleeves? I own a number of sleeveless sheath dresses, but it would be nice to have some dresses that I could feel comfortable wearing in the office without having to wear a blazer or cardigan all day!

8. SHOPNOW is still working at both J Crew and J Crew Factory, which both now have further markdowns. Some pieces are crazy marked-down.

9. Threadjack – has anyone tried any of the various ‘cleanses’ out there? I’ve heard some mixed reviews about the clean cleanse, and I was hoping you ladies might have some experiences to share! I’d love to hear about them. TIA!

• HITGIRL says:

I’m just about to embark on the Clean cleanse next week. I’m on the elimination diet now so it won’t be so brutal. I already don’t drink coffee or diet soda, but do drink iced green tea with abandon and I’m trying to wean off of that. I am mostly off of gluten and dairy, but am trying to wean down. What will be hard is doing two liquid meals a day since I get hungry. And, I will miss chocolate since I live on high protein cookie dough luna bars normally. But I’ve heard and read so many great things about the results, and I am feeling pretty run down lately, so I’m willing to give it a try.

• I was wondering about that, as I’m someone who usually eats more little meals throughout the day. Do you think the hunger will be pretty bad?

• I did the BluePrint 3-day cleanse (6 juices per day). I cut out most processed foods for 2 days before, and then eased back into regular eating after the cleanse. I felt horrible for most of the cleanse, completely drained and had bad headaches and nausea. This likely was due, in part, to cutting out all caffeine, and also to the fact that I am a person who generally does not do well when she goes long periods between meals (my fiance and mom both have been known to rightly say to me when I am particularly grumpy, “When was the last time you had something to eat?). So, maybe I am not the ideal candidate for a juice cleanse. The only upside was my pilates teacher telling me that I was looking very slim on the third morning.

However, I have done the South Beach Diet before, of which the first two weeks are basically a “cleanse” of all of the sugary, fatty, and processed things in your diet, with lots of success. My original plan had been to do a series of 3-day juice cleanses before my wedding this summer, but now I think I’ll just stick to something less extreme.

10. BigLaw Optimist says:

Sorry – early TJ.

I had an interview yesterday for a lateral position, and interviewed with (count it) 20 people. How would you handle thank you notes/emails? Should I send them to everyone? If it helps, it was a tag-team approach (2 people at a time for half hour interviews). I haven’t interviewed in a few years and can’t remember how I would have handled this previously.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

• In this context, typically I would send a thank you email to my main contact(s) and ask them to pass along my thanks to the others. But others may handle differently?

• Bluejay says:

Yes, that’s what i do. You could also send one email copying all 20 people. Sending 20 individualized emails seems like overkill and is unnecessary.

• We did this at my old firm and it’s definitely a grueling day so congrats on surviving it! Emailed thank yous are fine (and easier for the attorneys to send on to recruiting who used to compile them and attach them to a list of comments about the candidate), but I would either email each team together (Dear Joe and Sue, it was a pleasure meeting you both yesterday) or email everyone individually (Dear Joe, …). Occasionally candidates would send a mass email to all 10-20 of us and it always rubbed me the wrong way but I didn’t mind being lumped together with the other person I did my 30 minutes session with.

• Jenna Rink says:

Of course you can take the easy way out when you’ve interviewed with 20 people. No one is going to judge you too harshly for not sending individual thank you notes to everyone. But it is an opportunity to shine! If you do take the time to send everyone a thank you note it will set you apart in a good way.

Whatever you do, please DON’T double up on thank you emails. I think you can ignore the typical advice to individualize each email based on the volume you are sending, but if you are emailing thank you notes, take the time to copy and paste each one into a new email and put in the individual’s name. During the last round of interviews we did I was on a five person panel and one candidate sent her thank you email to me and one of the other panel members together. Even though she was the only one to send a thank you note, it actually lost her points in my book because I thought it was so tacky.

• TCFKAG says:

Twenty people! Wow. I’d send something to any critical decision makers as well as the main contact person. Otherwise, agree with above. Twenty people — I’m just amazed you didn’t pass out.

• I would email everyone a short note. You could do emails together to the two people you talked to at a time and reference something about the conversation.

• Cut and paste individual emails would work. In my experience, sending it to one or two people and asking them to “tell the others” doesn’t work and people you interviewed with don’t know you even sent a note. I always appreciated the thanks email after taking time to interview a candidate.

We have our candidates interview with about a dozen people. Most thank-yous I get are very short and not too personalized. It’s pretty standard: Dear Karenpadi, Thank you for taking the time to speak to me today about [firm]. I enjoyed our conversation and I am excited about the opportunity to join [firm]. Regards, Candidate.

I am starting to recommend sending out thanks yous as email by the end of the next business day because that’s when HR departments usually demand the interview evaluations. If the interviewer mentions that “we make decisions very quickly here.” I recommend sending thank-yous within an hour or two of the interview.

11. MissJackson says:

This reminds me that I need to thank the ‘rettes who recommended the Target Merona Cross Front Ponte Dress. http://www.target.com/p/Merona-Womens-Cross-Front-Ponte-Dress-Assorted-Colors/-/A-13644248

I ordered it in the “stadium red” which is really more of a coral, and it is gorgeous. I’m floored that a $30 dress looks this good. If it were stocked in my size in more colors, I would probably buy them all.

• Lynnet says:

Would it work on pronounced pear? It’s really cute!

• I am one of those as well, but i haven’t tried mine on yet. In the pics the hip doesn’t look as free as I would normally like, it’s a little straight, but I have my fingers crossed. I’ll post again with a review after it arrives. ;o)

• I’m sitting here looking at that dress online and thinking the stadium red would be perfect for me. I never wear dresses to work (or very rarely) because they are usually too bare. I save that for Sundays under the choir robe.

• SAlit-a-gator says:

Thanks for the rec! This dress looks gorgeous – and it has sleeves. I’m impressed. Debating between the dark yellow and the light purple.

• mine should get here today, and now I’m even more excited! Thanks, MissJackson.

• CA Atty says:

Ooh! I was one of them! I love mine, I’m glad you do too! I haven’t had the chance to actually wear it yet, just around the house to show it to bf and sis, darn rain. But I’m looking forward to it in the next week or so! :-)

12. I had such a bad day yesterday (funeral of a too young man, feeling played by a staff supervisee, meeting with a really bad candidate for a faculty position that interacts with me) that I decided I would wear a fun new dress to work to cheer myself up. I had to pin it at the front for it to not be too much of the girls and I’m cold. And our email was down until a few minutes ago. Can I go home yet?

• Hey NOLA,

Sorry to hear you’re having a tough 36 hours. Hope it doesn’t continue. Could you make yourself a cup of hot tea or coffee to help stay warm?

I recall that a poster (in a thread many weeks ago) posted a recipe along the lines of chocolate cake in a coffee mug that one can do in the office kitchen’s microwave. Maybe something like that would be a good pick-me-up?

• Thanks. I’m having a cup of mint green tea and feel a little better. And, now that it’s not Lent, there is a bowl of Dove milk chocolate on my desk. Trying to avoid eating the whole thing.

• LawyrChk says:

If I were you, I’d be highly inclined to develop nausea and a headache around 1 today.

• BigLaw Optimist says:

NOLA – I think you (at the very least) deserve a treat at lunch, be it chocolate cake in a mug or a treat from Starbucks. I’m so sorry you’re having two bad days in a row!

• anon in tejas says:

hope that your day gets better

13. just frustrated, wanted to tell someone says:

I know this isn’t a real problem, but…

I am trying to get my MCLE credit by webcast and telephone seminar, and I’m working in gov’t and so I set up this stuff for myself…and I feel just plain stupid, because I have spent more than an hour this morning trying to learn how to download and log on to the webcast program. And talking with customer service. And we’re still not *sure* it’s going to work.

I hate feeling stupid about technology.

• Godzilla says:

Dude, I’m an engineer. Working with dozens of engineers, all day, every day. And we f#$k up the whole webcast business. EVERY TIME. Don’t feel bad =).

14. manomanon says:

PSA… so that I don’t go look at the site… Kate Spade is having 25% off with the code FFSPR12
    It’s their friends and family sale so it lasts multiple uses etc.

someone please enjoy it for me!

15. Lynnet says:

I’m doing trial prep for a client this afternoon. She has a two year old that I’m pretty sure she’ll bring. How much cooing is strictly appropriate for a professional woman? I assume a small amount is ok as an ice breaker. My natural inclination is to coo a lot, so I need to know how much I should tone myself down.

• My feeling:

1. Initial coo of no more than 45-60 seconds
      2. No more than two mid-meeting coos, and ONLY if the toddler does something cute enough to interrupt the meeting
      3. One final coo of 90-120 seconds.

• DC Jenny says:

+100

• I love this breakdown. It’s both hilarious and practical.

• Godzilla says:

I like this formula. Somehow, I always manage to have an “unnecessary” snack on hand whenever there are kids visiting the office. I always always *always* ask the parent first if their kid is allergic and whether it’s ok for me to give them something. Parents are usually ok with it and more baby bonding time ensues =).

• Lynnet says:

This is an awesome formula, thank you!

Godzilla, great idea! I always pack granola bars for me, so I’ll pack an extra for him.

• Tired Squared says:

Second Frugal City Girl’s number of coo’s. That said, it’s a two-year-old, so you could probably get away with a bit of normal child conversation– “how old are you?”–to help with your natural inclination :)

• Not A Coo-er says:

Any chance you can get a secretary take care of the kid so you can meet in peace?

• Non-coo-ing secretary says:

Make sure you pick a secretary who a) has time and b) actually likes kids. Admin does not always equal maternal and nuturing. I know if someone tried to get me to watch a two year old I would have NO IDEA what how to occupy the little tyke.

• This makes me laugh. I used to have a 24 year old admin who was AMAZING at her admin job. On time, professional, hyper-organized, excellent work product, etc. but there is no way I would ever hand over a small child to her. :) Now, the battle axe of an assistant I once had who alternated her “Don’t make me open this can of whoop @%%…” t-shirts with her “World’s Best Grandmother” t-shirts would be a different story.

• Lynnet says:

That’s not an option- but he tends to be pretty good.

• CA Atty says:

Seriously. I met a co-worker’s 2 year old today and was like…um, hi? Luckily she was genuinely super cute and not one of those shy ones that hide their face so you don’t know what to do. I’m keeping this guide as a “goal to coo this much.”

Re: passing the kid off to an assistant, if mom’s bringing the kid she may not be cool with passing her off to someone she doesn’t know either.

16. KSouth says:

I am re-posting from yesterday, because I put this up pretty late. Thank you to those already replied!

Threadjack from a longtime lurker, thanks in advance!

I am moving to NYC in September/October because of my husband’s job (and my desire to live in NYC!!) and will need to find a new law job. I am trying to secure a position in a big law firm in NYC. I work in another east coast city and am a second year associate in a well-respected, large regional firm without a presence in NYC.

2 Questions: Do I need to take the bar exam in July, or should I wait until I have a job and see if it’s required? My practice area is IP, and is primarily federal, not state, law, so I have done quite a bit by being admitted pro hac vice, and I know some of the partners in the NYC offices of firms I am looking at are not even admitted in New York.

Would anyone recommend using a recruiter? I don’t have many contacts in NYC, and I am now trying to leverage any contacts I have that have connections, however tenuous, but I really won’t have any warm leads.

I very much appreciate any thoughts you ladies have!

Read more: http://corporette.com/2012/04/12/coffee-break-wrap-around-gemstone-ring/#ixzz1rvmrPxCy

• I’d wait on the bar. I took one in a similar situation and didn’t end up needing it- spouse and I were just talking about how that turned out to be big waste of time/money years ago for us both. But, we don’t know whether it helped interviewers take us seriously. NY bar is a pain, too; don’t know which one you took prior but it is a long one with mucho content.

• Also, if you wait, your new job may pay for fees/prep course if you need it.

• KSouth says:

That is a great point. I know I qualify for the “alum” Barbri price of $2500, but that’s still a chunk of money, in addition to bar fees. Hmm…

• TurtleWexler says:

I was just in a similar situation (not in NYC though) — I moved in the fall and signed up to take the February bar in my new state. Got a federal job within a few weeks of moving, so my current two licenses are sufficient. Decided the financial pain of withdrawing and losing several hundred dollars was less than the mental and physical pain of taking yet another bar exam. Also, I didn’t think it would be fair to my new employer to ask for three days off during my second month on the job to take a test I didn’t actually need to take for this position. I’m actually glad I did it this way, as I feel like I would have had a lot more options more quickly if I hadn’t been offered my current job and ended up looking at private practice jobs. My inclination is that if you know you will need to take the bar at some point, it’s probably better to get it over with sooner rather than later, but only if you know you’ll be settled in enough at your new place and mentally in a good place to do it. Also, not sure about the policies in NY, but I also had the option to defer to the next exam for a small fee — so you might be able to register now and decide later, if you’re up against a registration deadline.

• If you can take the bar before starting at a new firm, I’d absolutely do it that way. You may think that you don’t really need to be admitted in NY because you have a national practice, but I’d be very surprised if your new firm doesn’t make you get admitted anyway. I work at BigLaw and we require our attorneys to be admitted in the jurisdiction where they are resident. Also, even if your cases aren’t in NY, you may find that you want to get involved in pro bono matters for professional development opportunities, and then you’d need to be admitted. It won’t be a problem for your new firm if you take the bar after you start there — happens to us all the time — but I’ve always felt that it’s not ideal. Someone new starts, everyone’s all excited to give the new guy/girl work, get them integrated, and then before you know it they’re disappearing for a month to study for the bar exam.

17. I love reading through comments before going to sleep and hope they don’t become the snarkfest that appear on other people’s blogs. I love this community for the advice, fun, and warmth people provide to each other. Please let’s keep it that way!

• LawyrChk says:

Agree. I’ll also say that I’ve been a regular reader and commenter for the last 3-4 years, and I am not crazy about the memes/schticks that are seeming to develop. The blue fingernail jokes, etc., are a little to insular for my taste. Seems a bit cliqueish. But I love the site and the thoughtful and relevant advice many of the posters provide.

18. cbackson says:

Hm, I have to say that I actually don’t like this dress at all. Shapeless and blah, IMO. Also, it strikes me as the sort of thing that is marketed to plus-sized women but isn’t actually very flattering on a larger figure. If I learned anything from Trinny and Susanna (and helping my mom, who’s plus-sized, pick clothes), it’s structured pieces are more flattering than blowsy garments that would make even Kate Moss look huge.

19. @SoCal Gator says:

Thank you so much for responding last week about your weightloss and HMR shakes. I’m doing a modified version (with supervision from my MD) and I already feel so much better. You are AWESOME!
    L

• curious says:

I would love to hear more about this!

• SoCal Gator says:

Woo hoo! That’s great. I hope you find it to be as effective as I did. I used and still use MyFitnessPal to augment the HMR program and log all my exercise and food. They have all the HMR foods already in their database. If you decide you want to do that, you can friend me. Let me know and I will tell you my username on MFP. The community support there is tremendous. Good luck! I know you can do this.

20. 1. Went to an awesome mentoring dinner w/ a judge and 6 other women yesterday. The judge had a white hair tie on her wrist (no blue fingernail). She also occasionally played with said white hair tie. I wanted to hug her and tell her how happy the other corporettes would be to hear about her hair tie. I knew that would be weird, so I refrained. I’m curious if any of the other attendees are readers here.

2. I’ve been working extra long hours on a discovery project that seemed like it would never end with others waiting in line right behind it. I finished the never ending one Wednesday night. I’ve been miserable with allergies and hives and the inability to take benadryl and function at work. I came in “late” (9:15) today because of that and because my boss has been in a 2 week trial. Of course, today, the judge isn’t resuming trial until 1. So not only was he here, but now I worry he thinks I’ve been coming in late every day he’s been out. Luckily we ended up joking about it so he knows I haven’t been but seriously, Murphy’s Law.