2020 Update: We still think this is a great round up of the best stores for maternity wear, but you may also want to check out our more recent discussion of what to wear to work while pregnant, as well as our roundup of maternity workwear essentials.
We’ve talked about the best stores for workwear for tall women, for petites, and for plus sizes; the last one we’re going to talk about is the best stores for maternity wear. Spoiler alert: the choices are never great — but they have expanded quite a bit since I was pregnant (and since we last looked at professional maternity clothes). Today I’ve asked blogger (and Corporette reader!) K from Work That Bump to guest post and round up some of the best stores for the working pregnant lady. Welcome, K! – Kat.
Scaling Mount Everest, running a marathon, and collecting a suitable maternity working wardrobe — it may not seem that the last one belongs, but trust me, it does. So although I can’t comment on the first two feats, I was thrilled when Kat asked me if I would guest post on the third. I’ve created what I hope to be a comprehensive list of maternity brands and stores (something I wish I had when I was pregnant).
Other issues I’ve addressed that may be helpful: I recently spelled out my approach to shopping for maternity wear and my maternity-wear budget. I’ve also tackled the difficult questions of intimate apparel while pregnant and a transition wardrobe while pregnant.
Before we get into the list of stores, though, it is worth noting that you can score some good prices on maternity wear on Gilt, Rue La La, Zulily, and Haute Look. Gilt currently has eight pages of maternity wear from good brands like Maternal America and Eva Alexander, as well as nursing bras, jeans, and casual tops for the weekends.
2020 Update: These are some of our favorite maternity dresses for work…
And now to the list of awesome brands and the best stores for maternity wear stores and brands:
- 9 Fashion Maternity
- Ali Ro Maternity
- Ann Taylor Loft (They have particularly good tops for work right now, and I’ve had several readers recommend their black work pants.)
- ASOS (A reader recommended this shirt, which is now half off.)
- Babies R Us
- Boden USA
- Debbi O
- Eva Alexander Maternity (They have a whole section of clothes for the office, including a suit option.)
- Everly Grey (I was obsessed with this wrap dress. You can see how I styled it here.)
- Fit Maternity (fitness wear)
- Fourth Love
- Gap (I really like this dress.)
- Hard Tail
- Hatch Maternity
- Herberger’s (A reader recommended these jeans.)
- Ingrid & Isabel
- Isabella Oliver (Enjoy 15% off with code OFFDUTY153.)
- Japanese Weekend (This was my favorite skirt, which I wore in this post.)
- JC Penney
- J. Crew (limited selections)
- Jojo Maman Bebe
- Jules & Jim Maternity
- LA Made
- Lilac Maternity (This top would look great with your non-maternity jackets.)
- Lilo Maternity (This site offers its own brand as well as discounted maternity wear from many of the other brands listed here.)
- Mama NYC
- Maternal America (also sometimes available at 6pm)
- Maternity for Two
- Michael Stars Maternity
- More of Me Maternity
- Motherhood Maternity (This dress is really cute.)
- Mothers en Vogue (This top!)
- Nom Maternity
- Nordstrom (How pretty is this dress?)
- Old Navy
- Olian Maternity
- A Pea in the Pod (I really like their selection of blouses.)
- Pink Blush Maternity
- Prego Maternity (swimwear)
- Ripe Maternity
- Rosie Pope (This brand is featured on Gilt a lot, so keep an eye out.)
- Seraphine Maternity (Many readers have recommended Seraphine’s shift dresses. I also hear they have great customer service.)
- Shop Bop
- Slacks & Co.
- Three Seasons Maternity
- Topshop (I ordered a couple of things from this store but had to return them because they were too small. So be sure to size up!)
Readers, what were/are your favorite stores for maternity workwear? What were your biggest challenges, style-wise?
Want more great pregnancy advice? Sign up for our pregnancy newsletter for working moms-to-be!