2017 Update: We still think these are some fun gift ideas for your best friend, but you may also want to check out our latest gift ideas for professionals.
The best friend: another hard-to-gift person. This one will vary widely based on how “big” a gift you guys typically exchange — but here are some things that I would consider. Ladies, what are you getting for your best friend’s gift this year?
We’ve previously covered gifts for moms, MILs, and mom-like mentors (with the “live” Pinterest board here), as well as gifts for guys like husbands, fathers, brothers, and friends (with the live Pinterest board here).
Full details on the suggestions, below the jump… note that as with other guides we’ll keep updating the Pinterest board for best friend gift ideas if we find anything else on point or readers suggest something awesome.
- Here’s the thing: I feel like after a certain age you want all.the.makeup but never have the time to test out new products or the space in the budget to indulge. So I say, get your BFF a giftcard to Nordstrom or Sephora, and then you two can go and make a day of it — picking colors, trying different products, etc. (Also good for gift cards: iTunes. You know her Kim Kardashian: Hollywood avatar totally needs a new hairstyle.)
- If she’s like you, your BFF is probably crazy busy. Get her started on a virtual personal assistant service like Fancy Hands or Ask Sunday. (Readers, have you tried any of these? Which service is your favorite?)
- Getting workout-related stuff for friends or loved ones is always difficult, because you don’t want to inadvertently insult them when you mean to bring them joy. Still: I like Sweaty Bands as a great stay-put-headband for the gym (that also perhaps looks cute while running errands on the way home). For bigger gifts, you of course can get her wearable tech like a Fitbit, some Fitbit jewelry, a ClassPass subscription, or, hey, just book a class for both of you for that underwater spinning or barre class she’s been dying to try that you… really… haven’t.
- Finding a good book to read is never my problem — just finding the time to read it. Still, if your BFF is the kind who needs suggestions, this Amy Poehler book has been getting great reviews. (Any brain candy favorites, ladies? I liked one of Sophie Kinsella’s more recent books, I’ve Got Your Number…)
- Maybe your friend loves coffee… maybe she’s got something stronger in her tumbler. Either way, this BPA-free tumbler (which is also microwave, freezer, and dishwasher-safe) looks great. (I’m also a huge fan of Anne Taintor stuff, whether for BFFs or, you know, yourself.)
- I defer to guest poster’s Kanye East’s guide on how to buy jewelry for women, but I will say: these earrings look fabulous for an (just guessing here) Accepting Unadorned Gold Demure kind of woman.
Ladies, what are you getting for your best friend this year? What have you gotten in the past that was a really awesome gift?