2017 Update: We still stand by the below roundup with business lunch etiquette tips for summer associates and interns — but here’s a link to our most recent discussion on dining etiquette and check out our Resources for Summer Associates page.
This week, in our Summer Associate Series*: what are some of the best business lunch etiquette tips that interns should know about — for business lunches, office cocktail parties, and more? Readers already working: what are the biggest dining etiquette tips you wish interns and SAs knew? Which are the biggest blunders you see (from both the guys and the gals)? Summer associates and interns: what are your biggest areas of confusion?
(*Name aside, we hope this series will be helpful to ANY intern, whether you’re a law student or another woman interning in a conservative office for the summer.) Check out our previous post on general summer associate style, what to wear for the creative summer associate events, and general business etiquette tips.
Here are some of the best dining etiquette questions we’ve covered in the past — readers, what have we missed?
- 10 things to know about a business lunch (and TONS of newer tips on business lunch etiquette in the comments here)
- What NOT to order at a business lunch
- How to do a business lunch gluten-free (or otherwise stick to a specialized diet)
- Is it appropriate to take leftovers from a business lunch?
- When do you offer to pay at a business lunch?
- For all those cocktail hours: we’ve pondered what your drink says about you.
- Is it ok to bring snacks to meetings?
- Are there rules for eating at your desk?
Finally, these aren’t etiquette rules per se, but our best advice for eating in a high stress job in general:
- How not to gain weight over the summer recruiting season (helpful for interns as well as employees!)
- How to eat for long days at the office (and our favorite healthy snacks for your desk)
- How to save money on lunch
- How to diet when you’re working a corporate gig (also, how to control your diet when you’re stressed)
Picture via Stencil.