What is the best underwear for eliminating VPL — particularly if you don’t like thongs? I’ve gotten a number of questions about this from readers lately (and have seen it recentlyish discussed in the comments), so let’s discuss in a proper post. Here’s Reader M’s question:
The recent post about bras also triggered me wondering what others wear for appropriate underwear, especially under work pants. I hate thongs, but I find that many “no show” undies still have lines. I am pear shaped so I have a bigger bottom, which works to my disadvantage. I have a few pair of lace Natori and Filomena that do the trick, but they have seen their better days and will need to be replaced soon.
Meanwhile, Reader J wonders:
What kind of underwear do you recommend for eliminating VPL? I just bought some gorgeous but relatively form-fitting pants and I really need some invisible underwear. (I dislike thongs because of the constant wedgie issue.)
Psst: Below, some of our favorite no-show women’s underwear as of 2021 — if you’re definitely looking for thongs try Commando, Hanky Panky, or Under Armour! Pictured: one / two / three / four (not pictured but also: Soma!)
I’m on the hunt for a great new underwear brand myself, so I thought I’d peruse the reader responses to see underwear brands were mentioned the most in those posts. (Joanna Goddard also recently asked her readers this question.)
Here are some of the greatest hits among the various posts — readers, do you have any favorites among these? For those of you who DON’T like thongs (but don’t want visible panty lines), which brands are you wearing?
This post contains affiliate links and Corporette® may earn commissions for purchases made through links in this post. For more details see here. Thank you so much for your support!
The Best “No VPL Underwear”
- Victoria’s Secret — their Sexy No Show line offers a variety of cuts (not just thongs) and is currently 4 for $28.50
- Gap — I continue to hear great things about their underwear, but I’m not seeing a seamless line — readers who love Gap, which particular product do you like the best?
- Aerie (one of my best friends used to SWEAR by this brand!) — Their “seamless” collection offers hipsters and boycuts
- Gilligan O’Malley (at Target) — the brand offers many types of underwear, including three different cuts of a “no show” panty
- Spanx — Finally, a lot of people swear by Spanx, I’m guessing with various degrees of wearing a half-leg or full-leg product beneath their legs to smooth out lumps and bumps (and eliminate VPL in the process). Readers, any favorite products?
- Hanky Panky — they do offer boyshorts, but I think most people think of their thongs as being very comfortable ways of eliminating VPL (for YEARS I’ve heard this) — so if you think you hate thongs but haven’t tried this brand, you may want to reconsider…
Those are the most mentioned brands that I could find — readers, which are your favorites?
UPDATE: These are some of the brands the readers are calling out in the comments (not mentioned above):
- Soma Vanishing Edge Panties (go for a smaller fit than a bigger fit)
- Jockey No Pantyline Promise
- Jockey Skimmies (for under skirts) and Jockey Silky Skimmies (for under pants)
- Hanes Boyshorts
- Commando panties
- Naomi & Nicole panties (looks like the Wonderful Edge ones have the grippers folks love)
- Lulemon’s Light as Air Hipsters
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.