In the wake of all the makeup sales lately, I’ve been perusing the “best seller” lists, and am continually surprised to see some of the listed products because I’ve tried them and been underwhelmed. I thought today it might be fun to discuss classic beauty products — what’s worth the hype, and which beauty products are overrated? For your review, Sephora has a list of best sellers as well as a list from Allure’s Best Beauty Products of 2014, Beauty.com has another list of Award Winning Beauty; and Ulta has a list of their fan favorites.
My list of the overrated beauty products includes:
- Diorshow — Meh. I briefly liked Benefit’s They’re Real!, but am still on the hunt for a good mascara. I’m keeping my eyes peeled for a mascara gift set for the season so I can try a bunch.
- NARS Lip Pencil — I have this in a dark mauve and I hate the way it wears. I’m ok with Clinique’s Chubby Sticks, but I’m always baffled when I see this one on best-of lists. (Note that Sephora has a limited edition Chubby Colour lip set for $25 with four shades.)
- Naked Palette. I WANT TO LIKE THIS SO BADLY! It just seems like a lot of blah to me. Even for daily, low-key makeup, I reach for a million other things first.
- Benefit’s High Beam – meh. I do really like the eyebrow highlighter pencil in a very similar shade, though. In general, I prefer Nars the Multiple to add a bit of shimmer to my cheeks before I head out for the evening. I had a gold highlighter from Josie Maran (which they don’t seem to make anymore) that I loved, and was excited to see Benefit come out with a similar gold highlighter, but after watching the video it looks like it isn’t intended for my pale skin at all. I’ll still try it the next time I’m in a store, though…
- Benefit’s Benetint — I feel like I’ve been trying to like this one for 20+ years. Meh.
- Tarte cheek stains — in fairness, I’ve never owned one of these, but I’ve tried them on in the store a zillion times. They just don’t look like anything on me.
My list of classic beauty products worth the hype:
- Clinique Almost Lipstick in Black Honey — I rounded up a ton of tinted lip balms recently and found that I basically really love Black Honey…
- Nars Blush in Orgasm — I actually used this blush all the way up, which I never do. Super easy to wear. Note that it’s part of Sephora’s new Superstars gift set for $75.
- Nars The Multiple in Orgasm — an old favorite, particularly for desk to dinner makeup
- YSL’s Touche Eclat — another old favorite of mine
- Yves Saint Laurent ROUGE PUR COUTURE Vernis À Lèvres Glossy Stain – I have #101 from the Rebel Nudes collection, and love the formulation so much I want to pick out another few with more color…
- bareMinerals Original Foundation Broad Spectrum SPF 15 — I don’t wear foundation often, but when I want to even my skin tone out a bit more I like this one a lot.
- Moroccan Oil Hair Treatment — I just started using this last winter and I love it.
- M·A·C Spice lipliner — I’ve had this for years but it’s recently been in the news a ton because of Kylie Jenner…
- Finally, this may be because I’m of a certain age, but I still really like Chanel’s Vamp nail polish. It was huge the first time when I was in college, when spending that much on nail polish was insane to me… I bought it again when dark polish started to be more popular, and I still love it, particularly for holiday nails.
That’s my list of overrated beauty products (and the ones that are worth it), ladies — what’s yours?
N.B. These substantive posts are intended to be a source of community comment on a particular topic, which readers can browse through without having to sift out a lot of unrelated comments. And so, although of course we highly value all comments by our readers, we’re going to ask you to please keep your comments on topic; threadjacks will be deleted at our sole discretion and convenience. Thank you for your understanding!