This post may contain affiliate links and Corporette® may earn commissions for purchases made through links in this post. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
2020 Update: We still think this is a great roundup of podcasts for working women — but if you’re looking for something a little more recent, here’s our latest discussion of the best podcasts for smart women.
In the past we’ve talked about our favorite magazines as well as summer brain candy books, but we haven’t talked about podcasts. I’ve been getting more and more into them (on walks, or while prepping/cooking dinner via my Echo), so I thought an open thread would be fun. (Another fun question: would you ever be interested in a Corporette podcast? Would you like interviews with working women, “Ask Kat” questions, general discussions about some of the stuff we talk about here on the blog? I actually just made a guest appearance on a podcast on Thinking Like a Lawyer, the podcast from my friends over at Above the Law, discussing whether the office thermostat was sexist.)
So let’s hear it, ladies — what are your favorite podcasts? What do you recommend to other working women? What is a must-listen? Another question: do you try to get career advice and the like during your podcasts, or prefer to listen to fun topics or general interest stuff?
For my $.02 — these are some of my favorites:
Kat’s Favorite Podcasts
- The Broad Experience: This smart podcast focuses on issues facing working women.
- Interviews with people I’m curious about: I like to search the podcast store for a specific name — I’m often more interested in listening to the person being interviewed than I am in listening to one show repeatedly. Sometimes I’ll get on a kick and listen to 3-4 interviews all featuring the same author or entrepreneur.
- Various internet business podcasts: Smart Passive Income Podcast, Internet Business Mastery, Problogger Podcast, Entrepreneurs Journey Podcast, Social Media Marketing Podcast
- General entrepreneurial podcasts: This Is Your Life with Michael Hyatt, Glambition Radio, The Tim Ferriss Show
- Happier with Gretchen Rubin: I’ve never read her books but like her newsletter, and download the occasional podcast.
- Serial: Because, c’mon, who hasn’t listened to this?
Some of Kate’s Favorite Podcasts
- Parenting: The Longest Shortest Time (Kat’s note: I’m just getting into this parenting podcast on Kate’s suggestion, and really like it!)
- General News/Stories: The Moth, This American Life, Fresh Air, Slate’s Serial Spoiler Specials, Invisibilia
- Podcasts I don’t listen to regularly but would recommend to others: Planet Money (NPR), Mark Kermode and Mayo’s Film Review (BBC), Radiolab (WNYC), Pop Culture Happy Hour (NPR), Mortified
We’ve also rounded up some favorite podcasts of Corporette readers that have been previously mentioned in the comments:
Podcasts for Working Women – Reader Favorites
Career & Success
- Investing Insights from Morningstar.com
- Motley Fool Money
- Marketplace Money
- You Need a Budget
- The Dave Ramsey Show
- The James Altucher Show
- The Clark Howard Show
- Snap Judgment
- TED RadioHour
- Freakonomics Radio
- The Dinner Party Download
- The New Yorker podcasts
- The Bryan Callen Show
- Sawbones: A Marital Tour of Misguided Medicine
- Star Talk
- Scientific American podcasts
- White Coat, Black Art
- Quirks & Quarks
- How Stuff Works
History & Politics
Hobbies: Books, Cooking, Knitting, Etc.
Writing, Art, Music, Design
- News in Slow Japanese, News in Slow French (other languages available)
- Coffee Break language podcasts (French, Spanish, German, etc.)
What are your favorite podcasts? How do you listen to them — with a special app like Stitcher, or through iTunes, the iOS Podcasts app, or something else?