2016 Update: Check out our latest discussion on trends to NOT wear to work, here.
I thought a fun conversation today might be about trends — specifically, about which trends you’re completely, totally, “why won’t it go away?” over. Obviously, there are a ton of trends that filter through to business clothes — neon accessories (which do look kind of great with gray dresses), peplums, boldly patterned “party pants,” colorblocking, cut-out details, and more — but for purposes of today’s discussion, let’s broaden it to any trend. For my $.02, I’m sick of:
- Peep-toe booties — they just do not make sense to me and my New York/Midwestern sensibilities! They’re way too hot for the summer, and if it’s snowing or raining the last thing I want to be wearing is peep toes.
- Hi-low dresses. This trend’s only been around for half a second but I’m already over it.
- Cropped shirts. See above. Can’t we just leave the cropped shirts in the early ’90s, where they belong?
- Short suits. I think they’re cute for socialites and other ladies who lunch, but they just confuse everyone else who thinks they’re appropriate for the office.
- Daytime sequins. No. Just… no.
Ladies, what trends are you sick of? Are there any used-to-be-a-trend-now-it’s-just-a-modern-look (like skinny jeans or extremely strappy sandals) that you’ve accepted the longer they’ve been around?