Sure, we all know what basics professional women are supposed to have in their closets, but if you’re buying one for the first time or replacing one you’ve worn into the ground, it can be a pain to find exactly the right incarnation in stores. In “The Hunt,” we search the stores for a basic item that every woman should have.
Flat dressy boots are one of those know-your-office situations — just a few years ago they were fairly scandalous, but now they’re everywhere. We haven’t done a roundup in a year (here’s our 2013 and 2012 roundups), so I thought I’d poke around… these are my favorites. First, a few specialty categories that may be of interest — note that if you’re really on the hunt for a custom style, check out Duo boots — you have the ability to tailor your fit, but they already have a large sale section that is up to 30% off today.
- Waterproof: here, here, here, here
- Wide widths: (come in sizes like C, W, etc): here, here, here
- Narrow widths: (come in sizes like AA, N, etc): here, here, here
- Wide calves: here, here, here, here, here
- Narrow calves: here, here, here
- Comfort: here, here, here, here, here, here (don’t forget to check out our entire guide to comfortable office shoes)
- Shorter shafts for petites (15″ or under): here, here, here
- Over the knee picks (but note that a many people think OTK boots are NEVER work appropriate, or work appropriate only in limited situations — know your office!): here, here, here
Ladies — have you bought any great flat boots for work lately? What are the top qualities you look for in an office-appropriate boot?