This post may contain affiliate links and Corporette® may earn commissions for purchases made through links in this post. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Sure, we all know what basics professional women are supposed to have in their closets, but if you’re buying one for the first time or replacing one you’ve worn into the ground, it can be a pain to find exactly the right incarnation in stores. In “The Hunt,” we search the stores for a basic item that every woman should have.
With the first day of spring almost here (I believe it’s tomorrow, March 20!) everybody needs a lightweight jacket. Here in NYC it rains so much that I’m always looking for a great rain coat to serve as my lightweight jacket, but I hate double-breasted jackets.
Here’s my case against them: not only do they usually look stupid when worn open, they often have to be fitted so close to your body to look good that it’s hard to fit a blazer under there — which for me is always an essential. So I thought I’d round up some jackets out there that, in addition to being lightweight, possibly weatherproof (or at least weather-friendly), can also possibly fit a blazer beneath them.
Hunting for a lightweight jacket? Classics include the designer trench ($$$$), as well as this affordable reader favorite rain coat, this classic packable raincoat, and this long cardigan for warmer days! Know your office before wearing a jean jacket with your outfit, but if you’re on the hunt, this one is a bestseller every year. Check out some of our latest, trendy favorites for 2023 are below!
Readers, have you recently bought a rain coat? What do you look for in a great one?
|This one is far from sexy, but could be great if you live in a super rainy area. I like that it doesn’t look too sporty, even though it’s by Patagonia And at 70% off for Prussian Blue, you can’t go wrong — was $279, now $83.70 at 6pm.com. Patagonia – Arborist Trench Coat (Prussian Blue) – Apparel|
|This belted raincoat from Portrait is super simple — I like the straight silhouette, the optional belt, the slanted pockets, and the sale — was $200, now marked to $140, but use promo code SALE to bring it down to $112 at Lord & Taylor. Nice. PORTRAIT Belted Raincoat|
|I like that this trench from JNY is a sophisticated yet cheerful color. It was $269, but is now marked to $129 and available in S, M, and L. Jones New York Trench Coat|
|I think this looks fairly chic for a waterproof, windproof, breathable jacket — particularly one that comes in four different colors. It was $149, but is now marked to $129 at Eddie Bauer. WeatherEdge® Girl on the Go® Trench Coat|
|This is the swingiest of all of the coats, but I really like this cotton trench from Mango — especially the black piping and dark buttons against the neutral beige. It’s $139.99 at Mango.com. A-line cotton trench|
|This is a cute single-breasted trench from Rachel Zoe. I particularly like the strong shoulders (apparently, with epaulets). The trench is $575 at Nordstrom. Rachel Zoe ‘Thompson’ Belted Cargo Trench|
Like this feature? Check out other recent installments!
Workwear sales of note for 12.7.23
Our favorites are in bold!
- Nordstrom – Holiday sale up to 50% off; up to 40% off selected designer styles
- Ann Taylor – 40% off your purchase & extra 15% off sweaters
- Banana Republic – 40% off your purchase; up to 40% off sale styles
- Banana Republic Factory – 50% off everything & extra 20% off purchase; Gap Inc. cardmembers take extra 25% off
- ba&sh – Winter sale up to 50% off
- Bergdorf Goodman – Designer sale up to 40% off; extra 15% off sale; complimentary same-day delivery
- Brooklinen – 25% off best sellers, up to 40% off bundles!
- Club Monaco – 25% off almost everything
- J.Crew – 40% off your purchase with code; up to 50% off coats; up to 60% off present picks
- Loft – 40% off your purchase plus extra 15% off
- Lo & Sons – Up to 50% off plus extended return policy — reader favorites include this laptop tote, this backpack, and this crossbody
- Sephora – 20% off purchase with code; 30% off all Sephora Collection
- Summersalt – Up to 60% off select styles (this reader-favorite sweater blazer is 40% off)
- Talbots – 40% off your regular-price purchase; 50% off all sweaters, coats, shoes & accessories; readers love this cashmere boatneck and this cashmere cardigan, as well as their sweater blazers in general
- Theory – Extra 25% off everything; extra 10% off with Apple Pay
- Theory Outlet – Last-chance styles 70-80% off; extra 25% off sweaters; readers love this T-shirt
Some of our latest posts here at Corporette…
- Favorite comfy pants for an overnight plane ride?
- I’ve got a nasty case of tech neck…
- What’s a good place for a relaxing solo escape?
- What’s the best commuter backpack?
- I’m early 40s and worry my career arc is ending…
- I canNOT figure out the proportions in this current season of fashion…
- How is everyone wearing scarves in 2023?
- What shoes are people wearing to work between boot and sandal season?
- What’s a good place for a relaxing solo escape?
- What are some of your go-to outfits that feel current?
- I need more activities that are social, easy to learn and don’t involve extreme running/jumping/etc.