I would love to hear from the readers at the bigger firms and companies — if you have a summer associate or intern program, what does it look like this year (and how does it compare to 2019 and earlier)?
Over the years we’ve covered a ton of summer associate questions — including things like what to wear on a yacht or company fishing trip, what to wear to your boss’s pool party, what to wear for a corporate golf scramble, and so forth. (Stay tuned tomorrow for our thoughts on dining etiquette!) What unusual events is your company hosting this summer? (What other perks do your interns and summer associates enjoy?)
General Resources for Summer Associates and Interns
- Top tips on networking when you’re junior
- How to build your network
- How to use alumni networks
- How to stay cool on hot workdays
- Also check out our roundup of the best law school resources for women!
Fashion Tips for Summer Associates and Interns
- What not to wear to work
- Our guide to business casual
- What to wear to the company gym
- Do check out our regularly updated list of wardrobe essentials for work!
What to Wear to Summer Associate Events
- The office pool party — employers, please stop scheduling these things! We’ve even discussed whether a bikini is appropriate for office functions (but perhaps we should do another deep dive on that issue this summer?)
- The company golf outing — years before that, we also had a golfer friend advise on how to prepare for a corporate scramble if you’ve never golfed.
- The company picnic (read the comments too; lots of discussion on that post!)
- A company sailing event
- The company baseball game
- What to wear to a business meeting in the Bahamas (may everyone be so lucky to have to ponder the question of what’s business professional attire for a tropical island!)
- The black tie event (which I think is rarer for summer associates just because of timing, but maybe that’s me) — we’ve talked about how to do black tie on the cheap as well as what not to wear to a black tie event…
- The company cocktail party (I would LOVE to know what my current readers think of my original suggestions — many look pretty hideous to me in the light of 2022. I’d suggest just going with a basic sheath dresses, preferably with pockets and sleeves…)